Samsung YP-R0 RMAA Tests
Dec 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
All in all, the R0 is a player that measures well enough. It has its share of small flaws, but it's way better than the Sony A845 or certain "audiophile" players that shall remain unnamed.

Here are the full results:
RMAA Samsung YP-R0 Loads
RMAA 16 Ohm dynamic driver comparisons
RMAA 32 Ohm multi-armature comparisons

Frequency response: some bass roll-off, and some output impedance that doesn't go well with multi-armature IEMs, but nothing to be worried about. Sansa Clip+ is the reference, the overall best performing player of the bunch - then Cowon J3 and Samsung R0 - Sony A845 is the worst (by far).

fr.png

fr.png

fr.png

Stereo crosstalk, noise level, harmonic and intermodulation distortions are average, same as most every other quality player out there.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 14
Thank you for the measurements. Some of us find them useful. This player is a little harder to find--I think I saw it at Toys 'R' Us: an 8 GB model for around $100.

If you have any results for Android or Windows Phone 7 phones, please share them. For many, these devices have replaced the standalone DAP (like the YP-R0) as their primary portable music player. The technical performance of the iPhone 4 is already well known. I'm sure lots of folks want to see the numbers for the HTC EVO or the various Samsung Galaxy S phones. I suspect that the results won't be as good, judging from what I hear when driving difficult loads/levels. I could be wrong.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Thank you for the measurements. Some of us find them useful. This player is a little harder to find--I think I saw it at Toys 'R' Us: an 8 GB model for around $100.

If you have any results for Android or Windows Phone 7 phones, please share them. For many, these devices have replaced the standalone DAP (like the YP-R0) as their primary portable music player. The technical performance of the iPhone 4 is already well known. I'm sure lots of folks want to see the numbers for the HTC EVO or the various Samsung Galaxy S phones. I suspect that the results won't be as good, judging from what I hear when driving difficult loads/levels. I could be wrong.

Yes, the rational people.
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 14
I just got this mp3 player for real cheap and very surprise on this little device on the sound.  It can power my Grado 325 with no problem with no headphone amp and sounds pretty good.  I haven't been listening to portables for many years since I drive a car now instead of taking the subway in NYC.  Does anyone know the measurement for this player on the headphone output in milliwats?  Now if I can only find my old Etymotic 4P lying somewhere to go with this player, I will be real happy.  Thanks.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 14
Oh and if anyone is interested, and there is a HHGREG store near you, they are selling them on clearance for $35 and the touchscreen model R1 is going for $50.  That is like 65% off from retail. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 14
I think I found the answer to the headphone output.

links to ...     http://www.yesasia.com/global/samsung-yp-r0-black-mp3-player-16gb/1021619539-0-0-0-en/info.html

That one has the 16 gig and probably was the international version compared to my U.S. 8 gig version.

It states of Output power(@16 Ohm Earphones) : 20mV .  This is even better than my old cd player with 10mV.  No wonder this little player can power my Grado 325 with no problem.

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Just a thought, can itunes be used to transfer music to the R0?

Cheers

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 14
My lowly D2 still kicks audio butt!!! Well, compared to some of the other DAP's.
L3000.gif

PS: Dang, the Archos 32 is low down on the chart w/a 16ohm load,...

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 14
Hi guys,
I listen to music from a rockboxed samsung yp-r0..
I have a pair of Sennheiser 300 CX II but maybe I want to change them, just to try something different.
Worth it to buy an expensive pair of iems like shure 530 or similar?
Or the yp-r0 will not afford the good of the iems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back