Samsung P3 or Cowon S9
May 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 16
just tried out flac on my p3. the title infoormation didn't change, it still showed the information for the previous track and after 10 seconds the music stopped and i had to reset the player. I am on the newest firmware, 2.22. It seems flac is not working too well on the samsung.

But, to answer your question: i only listen to compressed file on the go, mainly mp3s, some ogg, some aac. they are all pretty good.

May 21, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
just tried out flac on my p3. the title infoormation didn't change, it still showed the information for the previous track and after 10 seconds the music stopped and i had to reset the player. I am on the newest firmware, 2.22. It seems flac is not working too well on the samsung.

I just got the player.  You are right.  I've noticed that name of the artist does not change when you switch over to FLAC from mp3 file.  The graphics seem to be really slow, and the trouch screen is not very responsive.  As for the sound quality, I am going to have to listen to it a bit to see if I like it better than my X1051. 

May 22, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 16
all players with Flash-based UI are always not as responsive as the non flash based players (ipod touch,zune hd, etc) . Flash-based UI including Iriver K1, Samsung M1, Cowon S9.

For sound quality, overall i still prefer X1000 over P3 and S9 (only a little bit), but i dont know about other people 

May 24, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 16
The S9 is my choice, unless you want to throw the J3 in there.  The J3 is just a little better in most aspects than my S9 is. The X series Sonys are fine and sound great, but limited codec support compared to the Cowons leaves my X1051 on the shelf.

4D  

May 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 16
The S9 doesn't support AAC does it?  Having spent years encoding with AAC, I am kind of forced into looking for players that support it.  Which fortunately most do.  I really don't want to start the very long tedious process of ripping all my itunes tracks onto a cd and then re ripping them back through windows to get them into MP3 format. 

May 24, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 16
The S9 won't even show AAC files in the browser.  The J3 shows AAC and M4A  and plays them both. Cover art doesn't show up though. I found this out by testing rather than looking at specs.

4D

May 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 16
What about the output power to drive headphones?  Which of them outputs most power?  Does anybody have links to specs and frequency response graphs of Cowon, and P3?

May 25, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 16
^interesting.  I was looking at Sony X series audio output powe specs and it says 5 + 5mW.  What does that mean?  Does it mean 10mW?

May 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 16
The Sony spec means that all other manufacturers spec should be taken with a grain of salt. My Sony's are as loud and powerful as any of my other players despite sporting the 'weak' spec of 5mw per channel. I'd take Cowon's claims with more salt than Sony. 

May 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 16
^True.  Any website have "real" measurement results?  I really would like to see some graphs and data based on measurments that checks the manufacturer's spec on many mp3 players(Cowon, Sony, ipod, Sansa, Samsung).   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back