Samsung Galaxy S Thread
Nov 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #136 of 203
One benefit that the Voodoo Sound Control gives is that you can adjust the analog gain of the headphone amplifier, ranging from -57 dB to +5 dB (with +3 dB being optimal line-out as supercurio says), so it can be a pseudo-line out. But even with the gain set at 0 dB, the sound is still clean.

Quote:

Yes. What I meant is that the analog signal out a SGS has already been amplified (clearly) so why use another amplifier like the FiiO in the chain. Unless it's a true line out then an amplifier is necessary but not with the case of SGS even with Voodoo.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #137 of 203
Uh, wow... 
blink.gif

I understood maybe 20% of the last few posts. Sorry, still relatively new to the terminology, so I occasionally draw a blank listening to conversations here at Head-Fi :p

Retrospectively though, it starts to make sense after a few re-reads.

So basically, an amp is only good for maximizing the performance of headphones/IEMs, while the fact that Samsung messed up the code for optimizing the use of the Wolfson in the Galaxy S is something I'll have to take in stride, unless I either flash a custom ROM that's Voodoo-enabled or buy VC Plus?

P.S.
I'd read somewhere that safe headphone-listening volumes range from about 70-80 dB. At -30 dB using Voodoo Control, about how many dB does that produce with a pair of headphones with a sensitivity of about 100dB? Sorry if I've used the wrong units. Oh, and arithmetic was never my strong point 
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #138 of 203

Quote:

Which necessitates of Voodoo if I'm to use my SGS as a PMP and expect to hear something good? Crap :))

I'm reluctant to flash a custom ROM on my phone again (at least for the next few months... ^.^;:wink:, so I may have to get the pay-to-use version on the Market. Credit cards are a bittersweet thing XD

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the best possible SQ out of a DAC, how would you rate the Wolfson on the i9000? I'm actually thinking of getting a dedicated PDMP, something I'd really rather forego if at all possible.

Thanks again!

There's so many DACs out there - ranging from small integrated ones like the WM8994 to big desktop Onkyo DACs. Honestly, I can't say I have a lot of experience with them but if I have to guess the WM8994 would be one of the best portable DACs in any phone / dedicated PMP. As far as phone goes I think it shares top spot with the iPhone's DAC and can easily match Walkmans and Cowons. (Theoretically the best DACs are the cleanest with the least amount of noise and distortion)

Quote:
Uh, wow... 
blink.gif

I understood maybe 20% of the last few posts. Sorry, still relatively new to the terminology, so I occasionally draw a blank listening to conversations here at Head-Fi :p

Retrospectively though, it starts to make sense after a few re-reads.

So basically, an amp is only good for maximizing the performance of headphones/IEMs, while the fact that Samsung messed up the code for optimizing the use of the Wolfson in the Galaxy S is something I'll have to take in stride, unless I either flash a custom ROM that's Voodoo-enabled or buy VC Plus?

P.S.
I'd read somewhere that safe headphone-listening volumes range from about 70-80 dB. At -30 dB using Voodoo Control, about how many dB does that produce with a pair of headphones with a sensitivity of about 100dB? Sorry if I've used the wrong units. Oh, and arithmetic was never my strong point 
tongue.gif

Basically inside every phone or PMP there's a DAC and amplifier, sharing the same circuit board. They're usually very tiny in order to fit them portable and light. The problem with this is that electrical signals in the circuit board can cause small interference  to the audio signal causing noise. This is why some people prefer a separate and external amplifier. The chain is usually CPU > DAC > Amp > Output e.g. headphones. CPU decodes the audio file into digital signal, DAC converts it into raw analog signal, and the amp most noticeably allows volume control. A good amp will keep the signal as clean as possible by ways of good circuit layout and reducing signal loss. This is very difficult to do in a small space like inside your phone. Therefore, it might be better to use a bigger external amp.

In the case of iPods / iPhones and Walkmans, there is a way to bypass the internal amp through the dock connecter. So the signal from the DAC goes directly to the external amp. (CPU > internal DAC > internal amp > external amp > headphones). Because we cannot bypass the internal amp in the SGS, connecting an external amp to its audio out will look like this (CPU > internal DAC > internal amp > external amp > headphones). There is redundancy in the chain. And to make things worse, it will theoretically increase distortion. The less amount of things in the chain, the less likely a distortion will happen somewhere.

The reason why I said Voodoo is better is because the developer mainly aimed to reduce noise (see the pattern here?). One way of doing it is by bypassing the analog channel mixer in the internal amp. By reducing the amount of things in the chain, he is a able to reduce noise and in technical terms increase the signal to noise ratio (SNR). This is the key to having good audio output.

It's up to you whether you want to install a custom ROM for free or buy the app in Market. Either way, Voodoo will help improve the SQ. As for the dB rating, I can't really answer that but I can say that the loudness is certainly increased with Voodoo, allowing you to use less sensitive headphones. I hope this helps you understand a bit more on Voodoo and portable amps.

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #139 of 203
I'm confused on how to use Voodoo. Will it 'force' the SGS to output a line out signal so you can use an amp with it? I'm confused by the "max volume" and dB settings....

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #140 of 203
No it doesn't. Voodoo just cleans up the signal chain and removes the weird stock eq setting back to flat. As already explained in this thread and elsewhere, it is not possible to bypass the sgs internal amp and therefore true lineout is not achieved.

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #142 of 203
It's a very interesting thread this. I was looking for only a PMP with the best headphone output and with a nice screen for video watching and a fast system for pdf (lecture notes!!) viewing.

I got a nokia n8 primarily based on the fact that it supports usb OTG (so I can use the fiio e7/e9 with it). But this nokia has turned out to be buggy from top to bottom. Promises everything that it doesn't deliver. Awful waste of time.

Anyway, I've got three questions that I'll like you kind folks to answer if that's okay... 

1) Video: I could not believe it. In all the years of enthusiasm with electrical gadgetry, I've never come across a size of failiure close to the nokia's n8 video playback. Every playback of video that features dark blue/purple/black colour is heavily distorted. For all nokia's worldwide in 2011 this is. I normally research stuff when I buy it, but I just didn't think of googling 'nokia n8 video scree problem' or similar. Is their anything epically wrong with this galaxy s2 in the video department, or any department so to speak?

2) Audio: I'd be using this offline, so inherently a larger battery life. The nokia n8 player's all suck. All of them. 
- what are the main different audio players that you suggest using?
These surely are not so awful that they have only say 10 volume levels, but like rockboxed players/cowons having many different levels?
- Is voodoo a bit like rockbox in the way that it makes the mp3 player utilise new, rockbox, playback software? 
- From any of these players, can you directly (in the same window) delete the file that you are playing from your phone/sd card?

I've heard about the signal strengths of the SGS headphone output (esp when voodoo installed), and I don't doubt it one bit. The nokia n8 has a stunning output as well- so anyone managed to compare both of them??

3) PDF files:
How fast do you think browsing pdf's would be. Zooming in, opening up files and stuff. Faster than the n8?
Can you get a pdf to display on 100% of the phones viewable screen size. Proper full screen view?

A lot of these questions may seem dumb, but they mostly arise from experiences with the less than impressive n8. 5 year old 'toy' phones i've had have better audio/video players and even pdf browsers than the n8. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #143 of 203

1. The stock video player on the Galaxy S is very good. For one thing, it supports a lot of codecs, even Xvid/Divx. It has some trouble with H.263 videos though, but with most formats, it can play up to 720p resolution without a problem. Also, though not quite as sharp as some SLCD or Super AMOLED Plus panels, the Super AMOLED on the Galaxy S has brilliant colour reproduction, though some find it to be a bit too saturated. Viewing angles, on the other hand, are almost perfectly flawless; you'll only notice distortions at really extreme viewing angles (around 170+ degrees?), and let's face it, it's not likely you're going to be viewing a vid from that kind of angle anyway.

2. Without Voodoo Sound enabled, the SQ of the Galaxy is is "decent". Point of fact, it was the best portable MP I've ever heard up until the time I flashed a custom ROM with a Voodoo kernel. Soundstage is good, as well as instrument separation. You can get really loud volume levels out of it, provided you don't use high-impedance headphones. The stock Music player comes with 15 volume levels, an EQ with presets, and "Effects". The latter makes listening to music fun, with selections like "Concert Hall", "Wide", "Music Clarity", and "Bass Enhancement". Oh, and "Externalization" works well with a pair of good IEMs. The SGS also has an artificial 5.1ch effect, but while it makes it seem as if music were coming from different angles, much like with an actual 5.1 channel speaker setup, the SQ deteriorates noticably. And before I forget, the SGS supports most known audio codecs, from MP3 to AAC to FLAC and WAV. WMA works too, if there's anyone still using it.

The best music player on the Android Market is Power AMP. Don't ask why, just download the 15-day trial. See for yourself why a lot of people have fallen in love with the app :wink:

3. ThinkFree Office Suite comes with the SGS, and it can read PDF files without a problem. Yes, full screen view is supported, as is editing documents (MS Word, PPT, XLS, etc.)
If that's not enough for you, you could always dowload the Adobe Reader app off the Market.

Cheers!

P.S.
I REALLY recommend you buy Voodoo Control Plus, or flash a ROM that comes with the kernel. You'll be blown away by the SQ :))

Quote:
It's a very interesting thread this. I was looking for only a PMP with the best headphone output and with a nice screen for video watching and a fast system for pdf (lecture notes!!) viewing.

I got a nokia n8 primarily based on the fact that it supports usb OTG (so I can use the fiio e7/e9 with it). But this nokia has turned out to be buggy from top to bottom. Promises everything that it doesn't deliver. Awful waste of time.

Anyway, I've got three questions that I'll like you kind folks to answer if that's okay... 

1) Video: I could not believe it. In all the years of enthusiasm with electrical gadgetry, I've never come across a size of failiure close to the nokia's n8 video playback. Every playback of video that features dark blue/purple/black colour is heavily distorted. For all nokia's worldwide in 2011 this is. I normally research stuff when I buy it, but I just didn't think of googling 'nokia n8 video scree problem' or similar. Is their anything epically wrong with this galaxy s2 in the video department, or any department so to speak?

2) Audio: I'd be using this offline, so inherently a larger battery life. The nokia n8 player's all suck. All of them. 
- what are the main different audio players that you suggest using?
These surely are not so awful that they have only say 10 volume levels, but like rockboxed players/cowons having many different levels?
- Is voodoo a bit like rockbox in the way that it makes the mp3 player utilise new, rockbox, playback software? 
- From any of these players, can you directly (in the same window) delete the file that you are playing from your phone/sd card?

I've heard about the signal strengths of the SGS headphone output (esp when voodoo installed), and I don't doubt it one bit. The nokia n8 has a stunning output as well- so anyone managed to compare both of them??

3) PDF files:
How fast do you think browsing pdf's would be. Zooming in, opening up files and stuff. Faster than the n8?
Can you get a pdf to display on 100% of the phones viewable screen size. Proper full screen view?

A lot of these questions may seem dumb, but they mostly arise from experiences with the less than impressive n8. 5 year old 'toy' phones i've had have better audio/video players and even pdf browsers than the n8. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #144 of 203
Thanks for them answers,

So no washed out colours/ pixilation on video playback.

I'll probabily be getting one then, but all my expectation lies on that voodoo thing. That's by far the main reason i'll get it. Is that a solid enough reason do you think?

I mean, now that I know what rockbox is for mp3 players, I'll easily by an mp3 player primarily to put rockbox on it. I find it ultra stable and more importantly complete. With this voodoo thing, is it as stable as rockbox. Or is it of the gimmick nature. Are 'crashes' something that are swept under the carpet by the blanket statement 'what do ya expect, it's just a dumb app for a phone.' Would it involve passionate programmers troubleshooting down the line?

What i'm trying to get at is would it make sense to get this SGS just for this tweak....
I mean I could get the far more powerful/faster lg optimus 2x dual core, or motorolla atrix at the same price. These will beat the galaxy s phone for other stuff like pdf usage as of greater cpu/ram spec, but does the difference voodoo lagfix makes, make the difference between them not that distinguishable.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #145 of 203
Well, in the half year I spent using Voodoo, the only real problem I had with it was the fact that it was on a custom ROM. 

No, seriously. It's an excellent app. Though I have no idea what rockbox is, I assume it's a program or tweak of sorts to maximize the SQ out of an MP3 player? Yes, you could say that Voodoo is similar in that regard, if you flash a custom ROM, you could also opt to convert the RFS system that the Galaxy S originally comes with to ext4. Without going into too many details, what you're basically doing is increasing the efficiency of your device by speeding up I/O operations and such. It's nifty, and it cuts down the lag when putting TouchWiz (Samsung's proprietary GUI) through its paces. I don't blame the Hummingbird CPU for the lag, I blame the custom skin :|

And no, that wouldn't be stupid at all. After all, what's wrong with wanting to get the best possible sound out of something you're going to be using as a PMP?

Good luck with your purchase, mate!

Cheers.

EDITED (12/03/11), for minor grammatical issues :))

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #146 of 203
Yea, i'll be getting one of these samsungs soon.

Got to see how good the sound really can be from this thing, as people on here say that it's the best (or a contender) in terms of sq not only among all smartphones BUT pmp's/ mp3 players aswell !!...

But rockbox is a complete alternative firmware to that of many popular mp3 players, like various ipods, sansa's, and a few archos/cowon/i river's. It replaces the existing firmware on the device and offers so much more with excellent equalisers, stereo enchancement, gapless playback, great volume controls and an enhancement to even battery life

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #147 of 203

Quote:
P.S.
I REALLY recommend you buy Voodoo Control Plus, or flash a ROM that comes with the kernel. You'll be blown away by the SQ :))

any recommendations on currents roms with the right kernel?

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #148 of 203
What version of the Galaxy S do you have? I have the Samsung Vibrant (t-mobile) running the Zendroid 2.2.1 rom with the Bali Kernel. It has voodoo built into the kernel. 

I can definitely tell a difference with this voodoo kernel vs a non-voodoo kernel in the quality of the sound. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #150 of 203

Quote:
I have an ATT Captivate

Hmm, I think that Darky's ROM also supports the Captivate. That's the custom ROM I used. 

Aside from a few battery life issues (Darky 10.2.2 sorted it out), there's nothing really wrong with it. Oh, and it's also really nicely customized, with an excellent and minimalist GUI, mirroring that of stock Android. It took a bit of getting used to at first, but that's coming from a guy who spent a lot of quality time with TouchWiz 3 XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back