Samsung Galaxy S Thread
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #166 of 203
DarkyROM's stable builds are very reliable.

Quote:
I've come from a nokia n8. Used for around 4/5 months intensively. Never Ever crashed. No. Not once.

My sister uses android 2.3.4 and its a similar story. I doubt that the darky one will not crash. Or am I wrong?

And plus, is there a huge performance releated increase if youre coming from stock rom + voodoo kernel to darky 10.2.2

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #167 of 203
Well, In the end I opted for stock rom + the voodoo package (lagfix and sound).

What a system. Great speeds and a great sound from voodoo sound + poweramp. If you look at task manager it'll say poweramp uses 30% cpu- Don't worry! it doesn't- that's just an error in the way it interacts with samsungs cpu measuring utility.

I mean this thing plays 1080p videos very very well (using mx video player that has a built in hardware accelerator, and plays files of any type). That's better than my netbook.

And battery life is really great actually.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #168 of 203
Hi,

I am looking for a good music smartphone. I am seriously considering Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia N8 . I prefer phones with good battery life. Also, I hear that the sound quality of S1 is better than Sii. Could somebody explain that to me? And, What is the chip used in the Galaxy plus version? How is the battery life?   Please tell me your opinions and help me to get the best music smartphone. Thank you.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #169 of 203

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for a good music smartphone. I am seriously considering Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia N8 . I prefer phones with good battery life. Also, I hear that the sound quality of S1 is better than Sii. Could somebody explain that to me? And, What is the chip used in the Galaxy plus version? How is the battery life?   Please tell me your opinions and help me to get the best music smartphone. Thank you.

The Galaxy S has a higher quality DAC (Wolfson WM8994). With the voodoo sound mod which allows driver level control of the audio chip, it sounds fantastic. It brings out the most of the chip, something samsung didn't do.

With a custom ROM and kernel, the galaxy S has respectable battery life as well.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #170 of 203
Currently with a T-Mo Vibrant (Galaxy S) Running CM7 Nightlies (going to do the new update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-vibrantmtd-signed.zip) today, and see how it goes. The latest Nightlies have been uber stable, and way better than stock. any day of the week.

I've only recently gotten Voodoo Sound Plus, and I'll have to say I'm wowed. I'd picked up that n7Player a couple weeks ago and liked it, then PlayerPlus or PowerPlayer or whatever that is called, but it conflicts with Google's Play Music, which is helped along by Voodoo Sound, and makes the EQ's in the apps irrelevant anyhow.

I'm considering myself happy.

If only the extra batteries that came with the charger I ordered had been the right kind, instead of for the Galaxy S II, I'd be REALLY happy. LOL. Now I have to deal with a little return issue, but I'd say this, just get some extra batteries and the Voodoo Sound app, use Airplaine Mode liberally, and enjoy. It really honestly sounds better than a Cowon. (I've had a D2, an O2PMP, an S9, they're all inferior to the Galaxy S with Voodoo Sound).

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #172 of 203

Quote:
The Galaxy S has a higher quality DAC (Wolfson WM8994). With the voodoo sound mod which allows driver level control of the audio chip, it sounds fantastic. It brings out the most of the chip, something samsung didn't do.

With a custom ROM and kernel, the galaxy S has respectable battery life as well.

Any idea about Galaxy S vs Galaxy Nexus in sound quality?

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #173 of 203

Quote:
Any idea about Galaxy S vs Galaxy Nexus in sound quality?

Actually, I recall that they both use the WM8994. Won't that mean that they're about on par with each other in terms of SQ? Then again, depending on how well the software side of things holds up, there could be quite the mismatch.

Either way, root then add Voodoo Sound, and you'll have an excellent PDMP, regardless of which phone you use. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #174 of 203
I just want to pop in here and state that the Galaxy S2 has a terrible DAC. It has a lot of noise and is a big step back from the Galaxy S.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #175 of 203

Quote:
I just want to pop in here and state that the Galaxy S2 has a terrible DAC. It has a lot of noise and is a big step back from the Galaxy S.

Seriously? That bites... 

I wonder when Samsung'll make another phone with an excellent DAC? Not that I'm in any rush to upgrade, mind (since I get to spend more on headphones and books and games)/

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #176 of 203

Quote:

I wonder when Samsung'll make another phone with an excellent DAC? Not that I'm in any rush to upgrade, mind (since I get to spend more on headphones and books and games)/

I doubt they will because 99.999999% of people who use smartphones only ever uses the $2 earbuds that comes bundled with the phone, so they wouldn't even be able to tell the quality of the DAC.

Well, we'll see in a month with Galaxy S3.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #177 of 203

Quote:

I doubt they will because 99.999999% of people who use smartphones only ever uses the $2 earbuds that comes bundled with the phone, so they wouldn't even be able to tell the quality of the DAC.

Well, we'll see in a month with Galaxy S3.

month? Who knew it'd be so soon :/
But yeah, it sucks that manufacturers don't really prioritize audio quality when manufacturing smartphones, but it's more the fault of the target market for not caring :))

Still, I'm hoping for the best. If the S3's DAC sucks though, then I'm gonna stick with my trust i9000 (or go for the next iPhone, as the 4S had a really excellent DAC).

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #178 of 203

Quote:
month? Who knew it'd be so soon :/
But yeah, it sucks that manufacturers don't really prioritize audio quality when manufacturing smartphones, but it's more the fault of the target market for not caring :))

Still, I'm hoping for the best. If the S3's DAC sucks though, then I'm gonna stick with my trust i9000 (or go for the next iPhone, as the 4S had a really excellent DAC).

The 4S's DAC is decent but it's still not Wolfson quality. If you want pure audio, you should stick with Cowons.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #179 of 203

I really like the n7Player UI but phone was very unresponsive after installing it although it could be some other updates (I installed in the same batch) that are to blame - will give it another try. Had the same problem of lagginess when I tried PowerAMP.

I use the international version of SGS i.e. I9000 and Voodoo Sound makes a very significant difference in my opinion, making it an essential install if one intends to use the phone as an audio player. I'm using DarkyROM at the moment and while performance was OK in the beginning, I think it has degraded with time. Am serious thinking of installing CM7.

Quote:
Currently with a T-Mo Vibrant (Galaxy S) Running CM7 Nightlies (going to do the new update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-vibrantmtd-signed.zip) today, and see how it goes. The latest Nightlies have been uber stable, and way better than stock. any day of the week.

I've only recently gotten Voodoo Sound Plus, and I'll have to say I'm wowed. I'd picked up that n7Player a couple weeks ago and liked it, then PlayerPlus or PowerPlayer or whatever that is called, but it conflicts with Google's Play Music, which is helped along by Voodoo Sound, and makes the EQ's in the apps irrelevant anyhow.

I'm considering myself happy.

If only the extra batteries that came with the charger I ordered had been the right kind, instead of for the Galaxy S II, I'd be REALLY happy. LOL. Now I have to deal with a little return issue, but I'd say this, just get some extra batteries and the Voodoo Sound app, use Airplaine Mode liberally, and enjoy. It really honestly sounds better than a Cowon. (I've had a D2, an O2PMP, an S9, they're all inferior to the Galaxy S with Voodoo Sound).

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #180 of 203

Quote:

I really like the n7Player UI but phone was very unresponsive after installing it although it could be some other updates (I installed in the same batch) that are to blame - will give it another try. Had the same problem of lagginess when I tried PowerAMP.

I use the international version of SGS i.e. I9000 and Voodoo Sound makes a very significant difference in my opinion, making it an essential install if one intends to use the phone as an audio player. I'm using DarkyROM at the moment and while performance was OK in the beginning, I think it has degraded with time. Am serious thinking of installing CM7.

I felt the same way, which is why I went back to a stock ROM; the performance of my phone after about a month was so bad that even simple tasks took forever to complete. Either way, why not just root your i9000 while on a stock ROM, then get the paid version of Voodoo? It's not all that pricey, so it's practically a steal.

P.S.
How's the SQ on a CM7-flashed i9000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back