Samsung Galaxy S Thread
Apr 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #181 of 203

Quote:

I really like the n7Player UI but phone was very unresponsive after installing it although it could be some other updates (I installed in the same batch) that are to blame - will give it another try. Had the same problem of lagginess when I tried PowerAMP.

I use the international version of SGS i.e. I9000 and Voodoo Sound makes a very significant difference in my opinion, making it an essential install if one intends to use the phone as an audio player. I'm using DarkyROM at the moment and while performance was OK in the beginning, I think it has degraded with time. Am serious thinking of installing CM7.

I just swapped over to CM9 Nightlies. I highly reccomend CM7 though. The CM7 7.2 RC 1 is nice, although CM9 Nightly for 04/06/2012 is really good, I just have trouble reccomending anything "less polished" than a Release Candidate.

However my experience so far with the ICS based CM9 is very positive: two caveats: Make sure you grab the ICS version of gapps, and if you want Voodoo Sound (like, duh,) you need the Glitch Kernel Updater from the store (a five dollar USD expense) OR if you know how to install another, compatable, Voodoo Sound enabled kernel, then Bob's Your Uncle. However, even CM team reccomends Glitch, apparently.

The Problem with Glitch? Make sure to go in the settings for that app, and select your device as vibrantmtd, or you will be scratching your head. Also, install the latest RC Glitch High Leak (HL) kernel over WiFi. You should be fine, and reboot right into CM9, but I messed up the first time and decided to install the latest "stable" Glitch Kernel, and got stuck at a Glitch Kernel Boot Screen. Finally got into CWM via 3-button mode, re-flashed CM9, then went back in, and did gapps-ics, then all was well.

I really enjoy the improved interface, and oddly, the SGS Vibrant is FASTER performance wise and UI wise with CM9. Sound Quality wise, Voodoo Sound app (stock, free version, not plus, paid) works with Glitch Kernel RC HL, and it sounds very good indeed. I've been using PowerPlayer, but then I find the sortability of the views in n7player much much nicer and zero issues on CM9 Nightly 2012-04-06. YMMV.

Just wrote this for those that are adventurous, don't mind backing up/restoring their ROM/curious about CM7.2 RC 1 OR CM9 slash are on the fence, and basically an FYI about my experience.

That said, SGS+VoodooSound really really rocks. Oh, and using it with AUX to my new FiiO E17 is all wow. I compared it to using the E11, and well, you don't need to, but the amp section of the E17 really is nice to my ear, not that I'm sneezing at the Wolfson in the SGS. Oh and I starred that issue in Android to bring Digital Out to USB would rock.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #182 of 203

Quote:

I felt the same way, which is why I went back to a stock ROM; the performance of my phone after about a month was so bad that even simple tasks took forever to complete. Either way, why not just root your i9000 while on a stock ROM, then get the paid version of Voodoo? It's not all that pricey, so it's practically a steal.

P.S.
How's the SQ on a CM7-flashed i9000?

Flashed CM 7.1.0 last night and took time to re-install apps and configure the phone. Phone is now VERY responsive but battery life is definitely inferior to DarkyROM 10.2. I've read on the CM forums that CM7 nightly build 181 optimizes battery performance and is even more stable than the stable version (huh?) so might eventually give that a shot, since apparently there is no need to do a wipe.

SQ-wise, SGS with CM7 and Voodoo sound really rocks - think the best I've heard off a portable digital audio player. For one thing, I'm listening to FLACs as opposed to MP3 (Lame V2 mostly). Also, the issues I've previously had with n7Player are now gone - think the more responsive CM7 helped. Currently listening to Porcupine Tree with a pair of ATH-ES55. Very nice. 
happy_face1.gif

Now I have to figure out how to manage battery life - if I use it to listen to music on the go, I may need need a high capacity battery, something like this : http://www.momax.net/en/Product_Show.aspx?ID=1312&T=1

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #183 of 203

Quote:

Flashed CM 7.1.0 last night and took time to re-install apps and configure the phone. Phone is now VERY responsive but battery life is definitely inferior to DarkyROM 10.2. I've read on the CM forums that CM7 nightly build 181 optimizes battery performance and is even more stable than the stable version (huh?) so might eventually give that a shot, since apparently there is no need to do a wipe.

SQ-wise, SGS with CM7 and Voodoo sound really rocks - think the best I've heard off a portable digital audio player. For one thing, I'm listening to FLACs as opposed to MP3 (Lame V2 mostly). Also, the issues I've previously had with n7Player are now gone - think the more responsive CM7 helped. Currently listening to Porcupine Tree with a pair of ATH-ES55. Very nice. 
happy_face1.gif

Now I have to figure out how to manage battery life - if I use it to listen to music on the go, I may need need a high capacity battery, something like this : http://www.momax.net/en/Product_Show.aspx?ID=1312&T=1

Hmm tempting. Then again, I might just save up for an HM-801 one of these days (I'm reluctant to keep messing with my phone).

Wait, come to think of it, did Head-Direct take the 801 off their site? I still see the lower-end 601 in their online catalogue, but there's no trace whatsoever of its big brother. Oh no, did they discontinue it? That'd suck :/

So SQ is about the same as on Darky's ROM, while performance is smoother on CM7, at the expense of battery life? Hope it'll be more consistent in its performance, since the slow down that came into play about two weeks after I flashed Darky 10.2.2 really irritated me.

P.S.
"More stable than the stable version" FTW :))

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #184 of 203

Quote:
So SQ is about the same as on Darky's ROM, while performance is smoother on CM7, at the expense of battery life? Hope it'll be more consistent in its performance, since the slow down that came into play about two weeks after I flashed Darky 10.2.2 really irritated me.

P.S.
"More stable than the stable version" FTW :))

Yes, now it is letting the CM7 run for a few weeks to see if performance degrades. Same issue for the battery since battery indicator is known to be unreliable after flashing ROMs, maybe things will level out and become "better" after a while. 

Keeping fingers crossed.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #185 of 203

Quote:

Yes, now it is letting the CM7 run for a few weeks to see if performance degrades. Same issue for the battery since battery indicator is known to be unreliable after flashing ROMs, maybe things will level out and become "better" after a while. 

Keeping fingers crossed.

Thumbs up.

Still, I wonder why everything went to heck after flashing Darky's? As far as I know, few people have experienced any slow down whatsoever using that particular ROM. Then again, it could just be that they keep flashing ROMs, so the slow down hasn't the time to take effect.

Keep me posted! If things are still running well three weeks from now, I'll seriously consider flashing CM7 (though I'm already eagerly awaiting the next version...CM10, was it?)

EDIT:
Whoops, turns out it was CM9. Whatever happened to version 8?

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #186 of 203

Quote:

Thumbs up.

Still, I wonder why everything went to heck after flashing Darky's? As far as I know, few people have experienced any slow down whatsoever using that particular ROM. Then again, it could just be that they keep flashing ROMs, so the slow down hasn't the time to take effect.

Keep me posted! If things are still running well three weeks from now, I'll seriously consider flashing CM7 (though I'm already eagerly awaiting the next version...CM10, was it?)

EDIT:
Whoops, turns out it was CM9. Whatever happened to version 8?

My own experience with DarkyROM was mostly positive - went from stock Samsung to Darky 10.2 RE and then to 10.2 EE. Performance was definitely better than stock, but there were also some inconveniences like wireless hotspot tethering not working properly on the ROM and thus the need to install 3rd party tethering apps, which weren't always running smoothly. Battery life was stellar to be honest, but maybe that was at the expense of performance. I had 10.2 EE on my phone for nearly 6 months, and I don't know whether it is the ROM's performance degrading and simply that updated apps require more horsepower so the responsiveness of the phone went down with time.

I've never really been happy with the overall responsiveness of the phone to be honest. I went to the SGS from iPhone 3G and while I like many things about Android, UI responsiveness wasn't one of them. Facebook was completely not usable with stock and DarkyROM - the app would take forever to load and then most of the time, would freeze on scrolling and force close. Launching the camera would also take forever. 

I'm looking forward to the new Android handsets and might eventually buy a new one sometime on the 2nd half of 2012.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #187 of 203

Quote:
My own experience with DarkyROM was mostly positive - went from stock Samsung to Darky 10.2 RE and then to 10.2 EE. Performance was definitely better than stock, but there were also some inconveniences like wireless hotspot tethering not working properly on the ROM and thus the need to install 3rd party tethering apps, which weren't always running smoothly. Battery life was stellar to be honest, but maybe that was at the expense of performance. I had 10.2 EE on my phone for nearly 6 months, and I don't know whether it is the ROM's performance degrading and simply that updated apps require more horsepower so the responsiveness of the phone went down with time.

I've never really been happy with the overall responsiveness of the phone to be honest. I went to the SGS from iPhone 3G and while I like many things about Android, UI responsiveness wasn't one of them. Facebook was completely not usable with stock and DarkyROM - the app would take forever to load and then most of the time, would freeze on scrolling and force close. Launching the camera would also take forever. 

I'm looking forward to the new Android handsets and might eventually buy a new one sometime on the 2nd half of 2012.

I mostly agree with you, but considering the downward trend in recent smartphones (such as the downgrade to a Yamaha DAC in the Galaxy S II), the outlook isn't that bright for people looking to use their phones as PDMPs. Then again, I can't really blame manufacturers for cutting production costs wherever possible; people just don't care all that much about SQ, as long as they have good cameras, HD resolution screens, and quad-core SOCs. 

So I might end up sticking to my i9000 until I can afford something along the lines of the HM-601. HM-801 if I suddenly win the lottery :wink:

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #188 of 203

Quote:
I mostly agree with you, but considering the downward trend in recent smartphones (such as the downgrade to a Yamaha DAC in the Galaxy S II), the outlook isn't that bright for people looking to use their phones as PDMPs. Then again, I can't really blame manufacturers for cutting production costs wherever possible; people just don't care all that much about SQ, as long as they have good cameras, HD resolution screens, and quad-core SOCs. 

So I might end up sticking to my i9000 until I can afford something along the lines of the HM-601. HM-801 if I suddenly win the lottery :wink:

Agreed. I'll likely be keeping the I9000 as a DAP of sorts and for mucking around with ROMs and stuff.

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #190 of 203

Quote:
Same as stock, which is perfectly fine.

True, that. But a Voodoo Sound-enabled ROM is a big improvement, don't you agree? I was on Darky's before I took being a head-fi'er seriously, so I've actually yet to try out the Wolfson's full capabilities with a good pair of cans.

But flashing from stock is a bit of a pain... looks like I'll have to get the paid app (Darky's is cool, but it's not all that stable after a few weeks of use).

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #191 of 203
Hey, I'm popping in here to say thanks, and hello again, after a several years away from head-fi.

A few months ago I found this thread while searching something about smartphones and audio -- pretty psyched, as I have an i9000 international. Voodoo Sound and this DAC are amazing.

I also wanted to mention that if you're keen on flashing CM7, he unofficial (formerly called 'kang") nightlies are definitely much more stable than the last CM7 release, and even the last CM7 nightly (181). Way better battery life, and much more responsive. http://nethq.org/cmsgs/?directory=.%2FGB%2F

I'm guessing the last unofficial/kang nightly would be Android 2.3.7. The latest official Samsung released is JW4, and is Android 2.3.6. It's up here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1570488

That said, I think I'm finally in a happy place with ICS from AOKP. And considering how far CM, AOKP and others have pushed things way far beyond what Samsung said the phone is capable of doing, the i9000 does look like a keeper. Whenever I do upgrade, this will still be a nice device to play music on.

Thanks, head-fi, for the tip. Can't believe I had this phone for so long before knowing about this mod. (and thanks to Supercurio!)

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #192 of 203

Quote:
Hey, I'm popping in here to say thanks, and hello again, after a several years away from head-fi.
A few months ago I found this thread while searching something about smartphones and audio -- pretty psyched, as I have an i9000 international. Voodoo Sound and this DAC are amazing.
I also wanted to mention that if you're keen on flashing CM7, he unofficial (formerly called 'kang") nightlies are definitely much more stable than the last CM7 release, and even the last CM7 nightly (181). Way better battery life, and much more responsive. http://nethq.org/cmsgs/?directory=.%2FGB%2F
I'm guessing the last unofficial/kang nightly would be Android 2.3.7. The latest official Samsung released is JW4, and is Android 2.3.6. It's up here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1570488
That said, I think I'm finally in a happy place with ICS from AOKP. And considering how far CM, AOKP and others have pushed things way far beyond what Samsung said the phone is capable of doing, the i9000 does look like a keeper. Whenever I do upgrade, this will still be a nice device to play music on.
Thanks, head-fi, for the tip. Can't believe I had this phone for so long before knowing about this mod. (and thanks to Supercurio!)

Thanks for the heads up on the KANG releases. Haven't tried those yet as I'm a relative newcomer to CM7, but I found the stable version, well, more stable and responsive than the much lauded nightly 181 build. 

Anyway, will give the KANG releases a try ... do I just shoot for the latest or is there a preferred build?

May 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #193 of 203
Thanks for the heads up on the KANG releases. Haven't tried those yet as I'm a relative newcomer to CM7, but I found the stable version, well, more stable and responsive than the much lauded nightly 181 build. 

Anyway, will give the KANG releases a try ... do I just shoot for the latest or is there a preferred build?

whoops, sorry for the response lag; I subscribed to the thread, but never got an email notification.

I would go for the latest/last from 2012-03-09. I remember liking the difference from the 181 build, but can't recall how that compares to the CM7 stable. The one annoying thing that carried through from all those iterations was the 'hello hello' bug, in which the a caller could hear you but you couldn't hear them, unless you toggled the mute button (and even that only worked 50% otf the time for me). There is a zip file you can flash in recovery mode that fixes that, though.

FWIW, AOKP just came out with Milestone 5, so it's at a good level of maturity already. I've been running these as a daily phone/net/PMP/podcast device; and love it. I haven't noticed any problems on M5, and in recent builds had only a few random reboots. Ice Cream Sandwich is just really snappy feeling. I do use a different kernel, Semaphore 1.1.1, which works with Voodoo Sound (the stock Icy Glitch doesn't).

if you're interested:
www.aokp.co
and Semaphore: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21910951&postcount=1

May 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #194 of 203
Is there a rom that supports video out, USB host (not digital out), and voodoo sound? I'm transforming my sgs in to a transportable network device. I have airdroid, and droid-vnc set up with 32 gb. I want to be able to run a USB splitter with video out, and have a USB hdd and stream music/video from the phone to my home theater.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

May 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #195 of 203
Quote:
whoops, sorry for the response lag; I subscribed to the thread, but never got an email notification.
I would go for the latest/last from 2012-03-09. I remember liking the difference from the 181 build, but can't recall how that compares to the CM7 stable. The one annoying thing that carried through from all those iterations was the 'hello hello' bug, in which the a caller could hear you but you couldn't hear them, unless you toggled the mute button (and even that only worked 50% otf the time for me). There is a zip file you can flash in recovery mode that fixes that, though.
FWIW, AOKP just came out with Milestone 5, so it's at a good level of maturity already. I've been running these as a daily phone/net/PMP/podcast device; and love it. I haven't noticed any problems on M5, and in recent builds had only a few random reboots. Ice Cream Sandwich is just really snappy feeling. I do use a different kernel, Semaphore 1.1.1, which works with Voodoo Sound (the stock Icy Glitch doesn't).
if you're interested:
www.aokp.co
and Semaphore: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21910951&postcount=1

Thanks for the info. Will look into the builds you mentioned. 

Read good things about Semaphore kernel but haven't gotten to the point of flashing kernels yet :) Still a novice at these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back