Samsung Galaxy S Thread
Nov 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #106 of 203

Quote:
Do you guys think the sgs is the best option for a sub 250 smartphone (preferably android)? Looking since my iTouch went through the wash.....

Do you really have to ask? Personally, considering that you mentioned that you needed a smartphone in the sub-250 price range, then the i9000 is your best bet. There are some phones that perform as well as the i9000 (like the iPhone 4s) in terms of sound quality, but those are higher-end phones that are apt to burn a hole in your wallet. 

I say go for the Galaxy S.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #107 of 203

Quote:
Do you really have to ask? Personally, considering that you mentioned that you needed a smartphone in the sub-250 price range, then the i9000 is your best bet. There are some phones that perform as well as the i9000 (like the iPhone 4s) in terms of sound quality, but those are higher-end phones that are apt to burn a hole in your wallet. 

I say go for the Galaxy S.

Agreed, The SGS still has one of the best audio quality in any phone on the market. And it was ahead of its time when released, so the specs are still fairly good even today, safe for 300+mb available RAM which I think is its biggest drawback.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #109 of 203
I dunno about an EQ app, but PowerAMP is good enough for me. Best $5 I've spent on the Market.

Still, apart from functionality (PAMP has exceptionally good transition effects, presets, and the like), which Music Player has the best sound quality? Personally, the difference I hear between PAMP and the stock Samsung Music Player is minimal. Then again, it could just be that I need better earphones.

Cheers.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #110 of 203
I'm buging a sgs captivate for use as a dedicated pmp for $100. I will not be activating the phone and only using wifi.

I'm going to use voodoo and cm7 for dsp manager /w poweramp 2.2.

Is there a better player for $100 or is the sgs a steal?

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #111 of 203

Quote:
I'm buging a sgs captivate for use as a dedicated pmp for $100. I will not be activating the phone and only using wifi.
I'm going to use voodoo and cm7 for dsp manager /w poweramp 2.2.
Is there a better player for $100 or is the sgs a steal?

Well, for the price range it's pretty good, but I wonder about using a (former) high-end phone as a dedicated PMP. Then again, I rarely make calls with mine either :))

I dunno about that last question though. As far as I know, Cowon has quite a few players that have sound quality on par with the SGS, and even larger soundstages. Can't verify that, as I don't own a Cowon.

Another advantage of having a dedicated PMP is that it lasts longer for music playback. The S. AMOLED on the Galaxy S is power-efficient, yes, but that's by smartphone standards. Fact is that it's a 4in screen that can really drain your battery if you're not careful.

Or why not audition the Zune HD? The price has dropped a bit, so the 16GB version shouldn't cost you much more than $110. Depends on whom you are buying from, though. 

Good luck!

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #113 of 203
If my captivate wasn't on a network I wouldn't carry it around at all. It's big and the battery life is laughable compared to dedicated pmps. The zune hd is a fantastic device, only reason I don't carry it around is because of my captivate though.

But for 100$ you can't really go wrong with a captivate I guess, that's less then I paid for mine on contract about a year ago.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #115 of 203

Quote:
Voodoo sound is a dream. Does anyone have suggestions for a good eq app?

Load CyanogenMod on your android and use DSP Manager. If you know where to look, you can find a couple screenshots of what it looks like around here. I believe DSP manager also interacts directly with the hardware, as it requires proprietary libs (drivers, in a nutshell) to function. CyanogenMod also has crazy customisation on it compared to your stock android device. Mine looks like, but performs much better than your average MotoBlurred device.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #117 of 203

Quote:
Load CyanogenMod on your android and use DSP Manager. If you know where to look, you can find a couple screenshots of what it looks like around here. I believe DSP manager also interacts directly with the hardware, as it requires proprietary libs (drivers, in a nutshell) to function. CyanogenMod also has crazy customisation on it compared to your stock android device. Mine looks like, but performs much better than your average MotoBlurred device.

No cm7 on epic 4g, I wish :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #119 of 203

Quote:
I'm loving the hell out of my SGS Captivate as a PMP. No contract/3g makes the phone's battery last 16+ hours a day! :3

Brilliant! Haven't yet tried that, since I still sorta need to keep in touch with other people, much as it's a pain in the rear sometimes (haha).

By the way, what dedicated PMPs would you say were on par (or better) than a Voodoo Sound-modded Galaxy S? The thing is, I really hate how my battery runs low late afternoon, when I'm commuting home; I get really paranoid about missing important calls/texts and the like. I'm thinking Cowon, since they've got a pretty good reputation, but I'm okay with any brand, really.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #120 of 203
Without breaking the bank, there ARE no better PMPs. Just buy a few batteries which will cost a FRACTION of the cost of a $300+ Cowon product, and are extremely tiny.

I have an LG Optimus V with the $25 plan as my actual phone.

Quote:
Brilliant! Haven't yet tried that, since I still sorta need to keep in touch with other people, much as it's a pain in the rear sometimes (haha).

By the way, what dedicated PMPs would you say were on par (or better) than a Voodoo Sound-modded Galaxy S? The thing is, I really hate how my battery runs low late afternoon, when I'm commuting home; I get really paranoid about missing important calls/texts and the like. I'm thinking Cowon, since they've got a pretty good reputation, but I'm okay with any brand, really.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back