Samsung Galaxy S Thread
Nov 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #122 of 203

Quote:
With the SGS in airplane mode, I think you should easily get 2-3 days of music :)

Tried that over sem break. Two days, not three :wink:

Anyway, it's a shame that the battery life on the SGS is pretty weak to begin with. 1500 mAh is a really good rating, but AOS sometimes knocks off about 10% in under an hour, sometimes even faster.

I don't really mind even if Samsung never releases an official ICS update for the Galaxy S, as long as they fix the damn battery issues with Android 2.3.x; it's a huge pain in the behind.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #124 of 203

Quote:
Flash a custom rom; enjoy 3+ days of life.

Alternatively: buy a 2600-3500 rated battery.

Went down that path a few months back. I eventually got too lazy to troubleshoot, so I reverted to a stock ROM. Probably not gonna go custom again, until at least Samsung confirms it's not going to push an ICS update for the Galaxy S :p

For the record, Darky's 9.5-10.2.2

Oh, and since I'm no longer on Voodoo Sound... would you say that the Fiio E7 works well with the Galaxy S? Wait, the DAC is the best thing about the phone... how about the E11 instead?

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #125 of 203

Quote:
Went down that path a few months back. I eventually got too lazy to troubleshoot, so I reverted to a stock ROM. Probably not gonna go custom again, until at least Samsung confirms it's not going to push an ICS update for the Galaxy S :p

For the record, Darky's 9.5-10.2.2

Oh, and since I'm no longer on Voodoo Sound... would you say that the Fiio E7 works well with the Galaxy S? Wait, the DAC is the best thing about the phone... how about the E11 instead?

I'm pretty sure it should've been EOL'd by now. Even my aged Droid 2 Global is most likely EOL'd, though some guy on moto support forums mentioned that there *might* be a chance of it getting an ICS update to fix the boatload of issues. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you though on an update. Custom is most likely the way you'll have to go.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #127 of 203

Don't worry about that. With Voodoo Sound, even amping from the headphone out is very clean. I actually prefer the sound of it compared to my iPod's line out. 
Quote:
Not sure how useful it is getting an amp with the SGS. Nobody's been able to get a digital line out from the SGS as far as I know.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #129 of 203
Amplification isn't a magical SQ-increasing tool. The phone can drive the HD650 without amping. Pretty much anything you guys would be using with a portable source should be driven with ease.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #131 of 203

Even the iPod's DAC is amplified a little bit.
Quote:
Yes.. but amplifying an analog signal that has already been amplified seems weird to me.. Won't it just add more noise into the signal, apart from increasing the volume obviously? I dunno.. maybe its just me.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #132 of 203
Thanks for all the replies guys! 

Um, just to ascertain, I was actually asking about whether the SQ from a non-Voodoo enabled SGS + amp compares to one that has Voodoo enabled. Sorry, my brain's not exactly functioning at 100% right now :p

By the bye, I thought Samsung agreed to the conditions Google set that all their devices should receive support for 18 months after release? The SGS was released in June of the previous year, so... it's 17 months in? That's cutting it kinda close :))

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #133 of 203

Quote:
Even the iPod's DAC is amplified a little bit.

Yes. What I meant is that the analog signal out a SGS has already been amplified (clearly) so why use another amplifier like the FiiO in the chain. Unless it's a true line out then an amplifier is necessary but not with the case of SGS even with Voodoo.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #134 of 203

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys! 

Um, just to ascertain, I was actually asking about whether the SQ from a non-Voodoo enabled SGS + amp compares to one that has Voodoo enabled. Sorry, my brain's not exactly functioning at 100% right now :p

By the bye, I thought Samsung agreed to the conditions Google set that all their devices should receive support for 18 months after release? The SGS was released in June of the previous year, so... it's 17 months in? That's cutting it kinda close :))

Voodoo is always better. Voodoo cleans the signal in the internal DAC and amp, increasing SQ in simple terms.

An external amp does not increase SQ! Amplifying a subpar analog signal does exactly what it says - amplifies the subpar SQ!

If you can bypass the internal amp using a true line out, then your bigger external amp can theoretically perform better than the tiny internal amp in the phone. But this is just not the case with the SGS. There is no way to bypass the internal amp AFAIK.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #135 of 203

Quote:

Voodoo is always better. Voodoo cleans the signal in the internal DAC and amp, increasing SQ in simple terms.

An external amp does not increase SQ! Amplifying a subpar analog signal does exactly what it says - amplifies the subpar SQ!

If you can bypass the internal amp using a true line out, then your bigger external amp can theoretically perform better than the tiny internal amp in the phone. But this is just not the case with the SGS. There is no way to bypass the internal amp AFAIK.

Which necessitates of Voodoo if I'm to use my SGS as a PMP and expect to hear something good? Crap :))

I'm reluctant to flash a custom ROM on my phone again (at least for the next few months... ^.^;:wink:, so I may have to get the pay-to-use version on the Market. Credit cards are a bittersweet thing XD

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the best possible SQ out of a DAC, how would you rate the Wolfson on the i9000? I'm actually thinking of getting a dedicated PDMP, something I'd really rather forego if at all possible.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back