safest listening- gentle audio
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sasha1

New Head-Fier
I recently found a pair of headphones SONY something lying around the house and started listening to them. I noticed that after an hour of listening to some talks on youtube, that it really bothered me enough to hurt my ear and I was listening on normal voluma with no environmental sound. It was night time.
So I started to investigate why my ears kind of buzz hurt...

I found this on a website....
[size=small]In loudspeaker reproduction, sounds must travel several feet before reaching the listener's ears. By the time they arrive, a portion of the high frequencies have been absorbed by the air. Low frequencies are not absorbed as much, but they are more felt through bone conduction than actually heard. With headphones, the ears hear all frequencies without any attenuation, because the transducers are literally pressed against them. Thus, when listening to headphones at the same effective volume level as loudspeakers, headphones may still transmit louder high frequencies that are more likely to cause hearing damage.[/size]

Now I am looking for a set of headphones which I can use for protracted periods without hurting my ears (not just long term, it appears some kind of voices frequencies physically hurt my ear) 

1. My price point is upto 200 a little more if it is the awesomest thing ever
2. Something that will not let the volume be turned up beyond 85 decibels or some way to test what its at
3. a way to reduce the volume at higher frequencies,. I keep envisioning something like a builtin graphic equalizer or some such,,,..
4. Noise cancelling ? will this hurt or help my hearing ?
5. music that sounds beautiful. Borders music used to have headphones which made everything sound just wonderful. so that is as far as my discernment goes wrt good audio... if its as good as that or a little better, I am set..

thanks for reading, looking forward to any and all comments
Sasha

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 8
just turn down the volume and get a headphone that doesnt have harsh treble or too strong bass i guess, get a mid forward headphone may help, i dont really have a suggestion on which headphone to get. i have a koss tbse1, that can fit the bill and the rest of the money you can go for an amp to equalize the sound signature if you want... good luck on picking

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I recently found a pair of headphones SONY something lying around the house and started listening to them. I noticed that after an hour of listening to some talks on youtube, that it really bothered me enough to hurt my ear and I was listening on normal voluma with no environmental sound. It was night time.
So I started to investigate why my ears kind of buzz hurt...

I found this on a website....
[size=small]In loudspeaker reproduction, sounds must travel several feet before reaching the listener's ears. By the time they arrive, a portion of the high frequencies have been absorbed by the air. Low frequencies are not absorbed as much, but they are more felt through bone conduction than actually heard. With headphones, the ears hear all frequencies without any attenuation, because the transducers are literally pressed against them. Thus, when listening to headphones at the same effective volume level as loudspeakers, headphones may still transmit louder high frequencies that are more likely to cause hearing damage.[/size]

Now I am looking for a set of headphones which I can use for protracted periods without hurting my ears (not just long term, it appears some kind of voices frequencies physically hurt my ear) 

1. My price point is upto 200 a little more if it is the awesomest thing ever
2. Something that will not let the volume be turned up beyond 85 decibels or some way to test what its at
3. a way to reduce the volume at higher frequencies,. I keep envisioning something like a builtin graphic equalizer or some such,,,..
4. Noise cancelling ? will this hurt or help my hearing ?
5. music that sounds beautiful. Borders music used to have headphones which made everything sound just wonderful. so that is as far as my discernment goes wrt good audio... if its as good as that or a little better, I am set..

thanks for reading, looking forward to any and all comments
Sasha

Knowing what Sonys they were may help pin down the issue. Some of the sony stuido monitors have pretty sharp treble, such as the MDR-7506.  However poor quality source such as youtube videos, with metallic compression combined with a hot treble headphone may have something to do with it.  Simply keeping the volume down will certainly be the most serious solution.  No headphones really have a GEQ to tone down the treble, but you could always spend that $200 on an external stereo GEQ, or probably $40 on a software solution for pinning down the treble if it's a serious issue.  Volume limiting will be of no help since volume is a product of the headphones electrical sensitivity, the amplifier's output, and he source material.  Being responsible with the volume knob/slider is your best friend for saving your ears, and no magic toy can take the place of you knowing your limits and keeping on top of it.

Noise cancelling removes/attenuates only exterior sound, it has nothing to do with the headphone's own sound. 

Now for a headphone recommendation.  One of my few sub-$200 headphone suggestions happens to be treble hot, so that's no good.  Are you looking for open or closed back/isolating headphones?   There's the Audio Technica AD700 for open, and half your budget, and AD900 is supposedly much better for closer to your budget limit.  It lacks a lot of bass, and many would consider it bright, but i don't think of it as "treble happy" either.   AKG K70x is an amazing headphone for the money, just a hair above your budget, but it can also be treble fatiguing so I don't think you want to go that route.

Unfortunately your ideal headphone, rolled off treble, mid-centric, laid back, comfortable, maybe the Sennheiser HD650....but you definitely will not like the price. 
wink.gif
  A few months ago it was much cheaper but still beyond the budget. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Knowing what Sonys they were may help pin down the issue. Some of the sony stuido monitors have pretty sharp treble, such as the MDR-7506.  However poor quality source such as youtube videos, with metallic compression combined with a hot treble headphone may have something to do with it.  Simply keeping the volume down will certainly be the most serious solution.  No headphones really have a GEQ to tone down the treble, but you could always spend that $200 on an external stereo GEQ, or probably $40 on a software solution for pinning down the treble if it's a serious issue.  Volume limiting will be of no help since volume is a product of the headphones electrical sensitivity, the amplifier's output, and he source material.  Being responsible with the volume knob/slider is your best friend for saving your ears, and no magic toy can take the place of you knowing your limits and keeping on top of it.

Noise cancelling removes/attenuates only exterior sound, it has nothing to do with the headphone's own sound. 

Now for a headphone recommendation.  One of my few sub-$200 headphone suggestions happens to be treble hot, so that's no good.  Are you looking for open or closed back/isolating headphones?   There's the Audio Technica AD700 for open, and half your budget, and AD900 is supposedly much better for closer to your budget limit.  It lacks a lot of bass, and many would consider it bright, but i don't think of it as "treble happy" either.   AKG K70x is an amazing headphone for the money, just a hair above your budget, but it can also be treble fatiguing so I don't think you want to go that route.

Unfortunately your ideal headphone, rolled off treble, mid-centric, laid back, comfortable, maybe the Sennheiser HD650....but you definitely will not like the price. 
wink.gif
  A few months ago it was much cheaper but still beyond the budget. 

or he can go for the supposedly more neutral sounding hd600

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 8
the only suggestion is to turn down the volume.... I've yet to experience what you are describing even with the crappest earbuds... 40dB is the level I usually listen at... 85dB is insanely loud and a normal human can only be exposed to it for less than 8 hours a day...

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 8
The easiest thing to do to protect your hearing and without having to go through the complications of measurements is the following:

1) Find a good headphone (neutral sounding preferably) to avoid mid-high peaks which will be louder
2) Adjust the volume to where you think it is comfortable.
3) Turn the volume knob back 3 - 5 clicks.
4) Proceed to listen.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 8
I have the same trouble as you, Sasha. Voices and related frequencies ofter sound harsh, irritating or uncomfortable. I notice it most  often with Sony (XB 1000, XB 700). I've had good results using a 6 band equalizer to take some of the harshness out. I haven't had much of a problem with the Denon D 5000s (more than you want to pay, but a wonderful headphone) or the AT M50, which is right in your  price range. My issue is related to hearing loss, with what they describe as a "notch" at certain frequencies. You may want to get your hearing tested, most audiologists will do it for free. If nothing else, it will eliminate hearing loss as a cause and point you in the direction of the right headphone for you. I think some of the advice offered above is good....a neutral headphone and reducing the volume will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back