Sad day: World's largest music collection goes up for auction
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #46 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would you own more than you could have ever heard at least once -_-

if you are curious, perhaps read his Bio on the the website; it states why and where the passion hailed from.
wink.gif

Cool this is.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #47 of 115
Great thread! I'd like to know who ends up with it.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #48 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how this thread sort of went into the logistics of it all: My kind of thread!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you expect anything less? Errr, I mean more?

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #49 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The $3 million opening bid kind of works as a reserve, don't you think?

Darn, theres always a catch.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #50 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn, theres always a catch.

Yes, there is. In fact, in this case there is a second catch: the buyer must give a guarantee that he/she or it (the purchasing organization) will not break up the collection other than by selling off duplicates to recoup some of the purchase price.

That's sort of a tall order, actually. I suspect that it would be nearly impossible to create an iron clad legal document that would protect the seller's "interest" in this regard. Obviously, they will be looking for a buyer who will be likely to abide by this request, and that should be fairly easy for them to identify (if it's a charitable organization or a wealthy individual who intends to donate the collection to a museum). Kind of interesting that they don't want the collection to end up in a private party's hands, given that this is exactly where it's at now!

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #51 of 115
Quote:

Yes, there is. In fact, in this case there is a second catch: the buyer must give a guarantee that he/she or it (the purchasing organization) will not break up the collection other than by selling off duplicates to recoup some of the purchase price.

That's what he was looking for before according to the website, but the eBay auction doesn't have that restriction. It sounds like he's given up on this "catch."

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #52 of 115
Quote:

He probably has talked to them. If he hasn't then the 2 folks he now has representing him and his collection would have. My guess is that they don't expect to sell it on eBay but figure that it will help to get the "story" out. Then the types of people and organizations that might be interested will become aware of this opportunity and contact them.

either that or he's really clueless.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #53 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what he was looking for before according to the website, but the eBay auction doesn't have that restriction. It sounds like he's given up on this "catch."

I wonder about this as well. I think he is holding on to the "sell it all at once" to a "collector" or an organization who will keep it intact.

Otherwise, why not sell it off piece by piece, make his $50 million from the rare items and then dump the rest? Heart break is my first impression.

However, if one reads through the comments section on the auction page, a person does ask if he will sell off genres. In this instance the person seemed like a club dj and was asking for rap/hiphop/electronica/r&b.

The seller indicated that once the auction was over, they should talk if it handn't sold yet. Perhaps he is at this point frustrated and just wants it gone.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #56 of 115
Quote:

I don't think he makes a claim to have "all genres and every artist" just that most of it is represented and it's by far the largest collection in the world. It would be impossible to claim to have everything ever produced, although he's certainly made a valiant effort! His poor wife...

He's got some pretty obscure stuff. I was there once when he was playing a 1/1 master of a former mayor of Pittsburgh's inaugural address..

His wife, she's a "dragon lady"
evil_smiley.gif

No, she's okay, just not a "fun" person to chat with.
wink.gif

NK

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #58 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what the ebay insertion fee is on a $3,000,000 auction?

Lol, I hope that a company or museum purchases it, rips and scans it all with high quality equipment onto some massive servers with backups and opens up a museum with lots of listening rooms and booths to hear it all with high quality equipment. It would be the greatest audiophile museum ever. I would have a membership to that. Take a week long vacation just to visit it.

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #59 of 115
It would take 821 years just to count 3 million records and 300,000 CDs.

I know this has been said b4, but how do you have no reserve, but a starting bid of $3 Mil. Isn't that a reserve?

Also, if they want someone to buy the collection and donate it for a tax write-off, then the owner can do the same.

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #60 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this has been said b4, but how do you have no reserve, but a starting bid of $3 Mil. Isn't that a reserve?

I think how Ebay works it is that a reserve is a hidden price from the bidders that must be met before the auction is accepted by the seller. A starting price is merely that, the lowest bid possible. I believe it is possible to have a starting bid set as well as a reserve. I agree though, it works out to the same thing in common sense land
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Also, if they want someone to buy the collection and donate it for a tax write-off, then the owner can do the same.

Again, I agree. But I doubt he pays too much in taxes compared to someone like Billy Gates. Apparently he needs the cash for his debts and to live comfortably now that he is blind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back