Sad day: World's largest music collection goes up for auction
Feb 18, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #31 of 115
Makes me wonder, if he has the rare lp's and vinyl as seen in the deleted scenes of "High Fidelity". Also, makes me wonder if he truley has ALL genre's and every artist. I'm talking rare underground stuff like he says he has. I wonder if he has any rare Ninja Tune or MoWax stuff....and not just your "proper audiophile music"...

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #33 of 115
What would UPS say if you brought those in to ship?

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #34 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes me wonder, if he has the rare lp's and vinyl as seen in the deleted scenes of "High Fidelity". Also, makes me wonder if he truley has ALL genre's and every artist. I'm talking rare underground stuff like he says he has. I wonder if he has any rare Ninja Tune or MoWax stuff....and not just your "proper audiophile music"...

Reading some of the news articles about him, he sure does have things as rare as in High Fidelity, in fact far scarcer. He has some crazy limited unreleased pressing of Rolling Stones singles before they were a hit. That alone would be worth many a person's entire collection.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #35 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you saw the place he kept 'em... It's an old underground night club... it's well over 50,000 ft^2!

Shipping would be by 53 foot tractor-trailers, a whole fleet of them!

Nick

to see that in transit and upon arrival! If I were Gates or whomever had the money to buy, I would just hire a crew to unpack it all and let me arrive when it was finished and I could start picking through it.

First things first though, I'd hire a swat team of undergraduate music students for the summer (music students aren't generally too lucky in summer job positions). Equipped with the latest wireless barcode scanner, I'd have them populating a database. Anything that couldn't be scanned with immediately verification is hand coded into the db.

Cull the dupes, donate or sell them and then figure out what to do with the rest.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #36 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to see that in transit and upon arrival! If I were Gates or whomever had the money to buy, I would just hire a crew to unpack it all and let me arrive when it was finished and I could start picking through it.

First things first though, I'd hire a swat team of undergraduate music students for the summer (music students aren't generally too lucky in summer job positions). Equipped with the latest wireless barcode scanner, I'd have them populating a database. Anything that couldn't be scanned with immediately verification is hand coded into the db.

Cull the dupes, donate or sell them and then figure out what to do with the rest.

From what I know from speaking to him, he tried to sell it to the Library of Congress to the tune of 30 mil... They "Lowballed" him at 5 mil and he refused.

Nick

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #37 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I know from speaking to him, he tried to sell it to the Library of Congress to the tune of 30 mil... They "Lowballed" him at 5 mil and he refused.

Nick

I read something similar. They were hoping for .10/unit not more than .30. With what he likely paid over time and what he has, even $10 million is too low but with something that large to go all at once, he has to understand few would want to be saddled with shipping the stuff, storing it, maintaining the storage, sorting, archiving, database etc. Anyone who buys this, short of Amazon or Walmart is really going to need a sweet streamlined process to get it organized.

Selling it off piece by piece would get him the money he obviously wants, but it would probably kill him to dump the "junk" that would be left over, which I would assume is substantial.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #38 of 115
why would he sell this one ebay. no one spends real money there. he should try to talk to one of the elite auction houses - christie's, sotheby's, etc.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #39 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would he sell this one ebay. no one spends real money there. he should try to talk to one of the elite auction houses - christie's, sotheby's, etc.

He probably has talked to them. If he hasn't then the 2 folks he now has representing him and his collection would have. My guess is that they don't expect to sell it on eBay but figure that it will help to get the "story" out. Then the types of people and organizations that might be interested will become aware of this opportunity and contact them.

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #40 of 115
Amazing and sad. I would very much like to know how he organizes it electronically. It would be interesting to know.

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #41 of 115
How many internet radio stations you think you could populate with that collection? How much money could you charge for people to listen? What would it cost and how long to digitize? Why dont I have 50 million clams?

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #43 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No reserve + no bids = mine for $1.
Hang on! I could not fit 5% of it in my flat! Nevermind.

The $3 million opening bid kind of works as a reserve, don't you think?

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #44 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, makes me wonder if he truley has ALL genre's and every artist. I'm talking rare underground stuff like he says he has. I wonder if he has any rare Ninja Tune or MoWax stuff....and not just your "proper audiophile music"...

I don't think he makes a claim to have "all genres and every artist" just that most of it is represented and it's by far the largest collection in the world. It would be impossible to claim to have everything ever produced, although he's certainly made a valiant effort! His poor wife...

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #45 of 115
I love how this thread sort of went into the logistics of it all: My kind of thread!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back