Sad day: World's largest music collection goes up for auction
Feb 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
The World's Greatest Music Collection - eBay (item 140206309501 end time Feb-21-08 06:00:00 PST)

This is the world's largest music collection up for auction. A man's life and passion must leave him. Here is his site.

This is totally legit and incredible. If I were super rich I would make an offer this man could not refuse. He states it's worth around $50 million. I would think much much more considering half is new.

This man needs to meet up with the super audiophile from China who bought that collection from Japan. 200 000 records? That's nothing to this guy!

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 115
Wow, must be sad to see that go.
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 115
Someone with mucho money should buy that, digitize as much as possible, make a museum with multiple listening stations for people to come and enjoy! If only I had millions...

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 115
We should start a collection to buy it and put head-fi on the map!

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 115
Apparently the Feds as well as the Pennsylvanian govs have offered to buy the collection but they wanted a price of say .10 to .30/unit. This guy want to maximize his profits which is absolutely fine. If his intensions though are surely in the "preservation of the nation's music then having a museum or a government agency buy it up would be ideal. Heck a university too. Some entity that would catalogue it, put in motion an archiving plan and best of all permit researchers access to this stunning collection for real study. No one person can ever listen to it. Some rough estimates put this at solid listening for 821 years to listen without repeating and enough time to eat and sleep.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 115
I hope he doesn't break up the collection. It also shouldn't disappear in some oil sheik's sandcastle. Ideally it should become the musical version of the Gutenberg project.

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 115
I wonder if anyone has told Bill Gates about this? It sounds like his kind of thing.

Mooch

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would you own more than you could have ever heard at least once -_-

Preservation, conservation, restoration and beneficence to humanity. I work with a bunch of archaeologists and conservators and they collect odd things all the time, not because it is of personal use to them, but more so because it traces the past of some culture or society. I have one conservator in my lab who is one of the world's foremost authorities on pre-colonial buttons. Yep, buttons. His personal collection is well into the millions and the collection we have for the Canadian museums is substantial, all acquired by him.

Music to me seems to have a much greater importance than buttons or scabbards or shoes etc. Music is the life-blood of many cultures. I'm not too familiar with the history of gospel/blues/jazz but from very understanding much of the music has deep roots in the slave culture of the South East US. Imagine if this one collection has key recordings that can trace the heritage of certain artists or genres etc all the way back to the earliest known recordings.

When someone has multimillions (I'm talking 8 figures here) or better yet 9 figures...they can't spend it all without duplicating what they have (more houses, more vehicles, etc) why not invest in a collection of music that has historical value as well as aesthetic value not to mention monetary value since the rare items will only get more rare as time goes on.

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 115
He should start a store or chain to sell this or at lest break it up somehow. Sell the rare and valuable stuff separately. Imagine shipping all of those records. How would you even know if a few boxes where missing or a few hundred?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back