Sad day: World's largest music collection goes up for auction
Mar 15, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #106 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sound-of-Muzak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand all those points you restated and read the entire thread before posting. Once again, it seems futile to me, to collect that many albums, nor does it inspire awe in my psyche.

Too bad you didn't read enough. The guy OWNED A RECORD STORE. The reason he has so many isn't just because of collecting but because he also owned one of the largest record stores in the world. While traveling he amassed quite a few records, then he quick his sales job and opened up the store and continued to hunt for records. The massive amounts of duplicates and current hits are stock from the store. The entire endeavor, a life's work, collects the history of not just a nation but NATIONS. As it is stated, those who win write the history books, but the people write the music.

But then I guess you are probably critical of someone like Bill Gates for spending $30 million on Da Vinci's note book, after all, it's just a 400 year bound bunch dead trees. Completely worthless.
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #108 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad you didn't read enough. The guy OWNED A RECORD STORE. The reason he has so many isn't just because of collecting but because he also owned one of the largest record stores in the world. While traveling he amassed quite a few records, then he quick his sales job and opened up the store and continued to hunt for records. The massive amounts of duplicates and current hits are stock from the store. The entire endeavor, a life's work, collects the history of not just a nation but NATIONS. As it is stated, those who win write the history books, but the people write the music.

But then I guess you are probably critical of someone like Bill Gates for spending $30 million on Da Vinci's note book, after all, it's just a 400 year bound bunch dead trees. Completely worthless.
tongue.gif

I think what turned me off was the fascination this crowd has with his collection. And you're right on about Da Vinci's notebook. The only reason I would want it is it's monetary value. ****** bill gates. I bet he listens to 128kbps mp3s on his ****ty zune with bose headphones. LOL

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #109 of 115
If you would want it because of its monetary value, what is the difference then in owning this collection which is worth even more than the notebook?

Remember, he compiled this passionately as a means of recording history. Most of his records are unplayed, new! He won't sell to anyone who will carve it up. He wants it to be picked up by an individual or institute who will care for it like he has and who will ultimately let people use it. Far better than Billy boy who has the notebook in his library behind a secret wall (no word of a lie) under lasers. No one gets to see it that way
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #110 of 115
Quote:

If you would want it because of its monetary value, what is the difference then in owning this collection which is worth even more than the notebook?

Remember, he compiled this passionately as a means of recording history. Most of his records are unplayed, new! He won't sell to anyone who will carve it up. He wants it to be picked up by an individual or institute who will care for it like he has and who will ultimately let people use it. Far better than Billy boy who has the notebook in his library behind a secret wall (no word of a lie) under lasers. No one gets to see it that way
frown.gif

Because I'm a musician, not an archivist and I care about music. I don't care about that notebook.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #111 of 115
You contradict yourself. You care about the music but you think it absurd to possess what is arguably the most masterful music collection ever compiled, BY a music love and now only to be sold TO A MUSIC LOVER.

You don't care about the notebook, so owning it because it is valuable is worthwhile. Because you care about music, owning this and trying to sell it to an organization willing to value it as much as the original music lover is asinine and not worth your time?

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #113 of 115
Quote:

You contradict yourself. You care about the music but you think it absurd to possess what is arguably the most masterful music collection ever compiled, BY a music love and now only to be sold TO A MUSIC LOVER.

You don't care about the notebook, so owning it because it is valuable is worthwhile. Because you care about music, owning this and trying to sell it to an organization willing to value it as much as the original music lover is asinine and not worth your time?

Right, it is paradoxical. Neither of us has the collection so let's drop it. Discussion is more futile than the collection itself. I can't explain why it doesn't appeal to me, it just doesn't.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #114 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're arguing with a troll Zanth. Just though I would remind you.

smily_headphones1.gif
Indeed. Not that Aaron needs help in defending himself, but I hate when people go off on mods. But yeah, you are right. What was I thinking?
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back