Sad day: World's largest music collection goes up for auction
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 115
Amazing collection. I almost hate to see it go to a private collector; this might be better off at a university or a museum. Even better if they took all the non-copyrighted material and dropped it on archive.org.

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #17 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He should start a store or chain to sell this or at lest break it up somehow. Sell the rare and valuable stuff separately. Imagine shipping all of those records. How would you even know if a few boxes where missing or a few hundred?

He's been selling it piecemeal for some time:
https://recordrama.sslpowered.com/sh...alog/index.php

The problem is, he only has a database of less than one third of the collection, so it's sort of like the Vatican library, you have to ask for items and then he sees if he has them.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #19 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's been selling it piecemeal for some time:
https://recordrama.sslpowered.com/sh...alog/index.php

The problem is, he only has a database of less than one third of the collection, so it's sort of like the Vatican library, you have to ask for items and then he sees if he has them.

Except that the Vatican has every last piece of parchment in a massive database. I know, my professor has had to use it. The problem is, very few people get access to it at all let alone full access to all areas of the database.

I get to very soon as I have been honoured by being one of the few Canadians granted access. Of course, access is limited to a section at a time and one has to petition at least 6 months in advance per area.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In response to Wodgy:

Exactly!

Then he finds a sealed copy, opens it for no reason, then charges you 5 times what it's worth, "service with a smile" need not apply.

Nick

I've been reading about this guy and how he grades and how one was permitted to "enter his abode" and buy. There was a process, a near ceremony in how to buy from him. Very intense. Hopefully the person who buys this will enjoy a good amount of it.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #21 of 115
Wait, that site says he lives in Charlotte, NC... that close, huh.... that'll save on shipping.
smily_headphones1.gif

J/K

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #22 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except that the Vatican has every last piece of parchment in a massive database. I know, my professor has had to use it. The problem is, very few people get access to it at all let alone full access to all areas of the database.

I thought they didn't grant access to the database to anyone but the librarians themselves. Is this new? I know they've always had all kinds of controls around who can actually visit the library and request materials.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #23 of 115
Right. Access is very tightly controlled. Not just to the library but to the database and to the materials.

The database is multi-tiered. So "common" access (of course ridiculously uncommon because again it is nearly impossible to get access at all) is for a "general" query. One has to present the Library with a proposal and all items requested with a list of notable hopefuls the Vatican may have.

Once there, depending on the access and length of stay, a person is granted permission to use the database that holds the information regarding the items in the open area one has limited access to. All but the most important people have a few "hands" that either do the searches for them or go and retrieve the information. These hands also observe the use of the materials the entire time depending on the importance and rarity of the item.

I will have access to one section and have limited hours/day but have the opportunity to return multiple times/week for a period of 2 months.

About a decade ago everything went online. I don't doubt that the really good stuff (proof of vampires, werewolves and things that go bump in the night etc
wink.gif
) aren't listed, but "officially" everything is archived.

Here is a link to the general procedures for access to the general archives themselves. All other access goes takes what seems like an FBI security check.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #26 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuge(original) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess he is not able to handle it .That's why He is selling it .

He's gone blind and wants to pay off some debts and spend more time with his five grandchildren. That's the official explanation on the site anyway.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #27 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading about this guy and how he grades and how one was permitted to "enter his abode" and buy. There was a process, a near ceremony in how to buy from him. Very intense. Hopefully the person who buys this will enjoy a good amount of it.

Intense is right. I've been through the process with success.

I hope that whoever gets their hands on the collection will love it for the music, not just the thrill of collecting. He's gotten to the point where he is akin to a person who has 50 exotic cars and drivers none of them. If you catch my drift.

Nick

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Intense is right. I've been through the process with success.

I hope that whoever gets their hands on the collection will love it for the music, not just the thrill of collecting. He's gotten to the point where he is akin to a person who has 50 exotic cars and drivers none of them. If you catch my drift.

Nick

I know what you mean and it always saddens me when folks horde and never really enjoy the items they collect. To some this is enjoyment, possessing. I'm clearly in the utilitarian camp. If I can't use it out it goes.

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #29 of 115
The seller says that Paypal is OK! That's like $90,000 unless it's just for the 10% deposit, which still...
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back