SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
Apr 10, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #271 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Does that mean the sound is also less «open» (= breathing)?

peacesign.gif

In my opinion they don't sound particularly open. They're not as bad as, say, the Etys, but there is a hint of a cavernous sound that can be really distracting if you don't place them on your head perfectly. This is compared to the most open headphone ever created, so it may not be fair.

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #272 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by the terabyte
This is compared to the most open headphone ever created, so it may not be fair.

Indeed, not fair in your case!
k1000smile.gif

peacesign.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #273 of 379
I just spent all weekend with the SA-5000s they are very detailed and quick with excellent control of the music. Sometimes startling you with a kick drum intro. The SA's are a surgical tool. When letting others listen I notice their posture becomes upright. They get your attention. When first demoed a WOW will definitely be heard. I posted my impressions of the DT880 and SA-5000s here.

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #274 of 379
im yet another person of Team SA5000
smily_headphones1.gif

Currently using this with the gilmore lite connected up to my computer using a Audigy 2.

I'm sure everything has been said about these cans as possibly can said... but ill make a comment on them after a bit of burning in.

Loving these things so far. With my hd555, I was getting tired and bored of listening to my collection, after today I am both excited and enjoying the new experience. Ive got about 150cds that I havent listened to in 3 years that ive kept from the "cd buying days" that I will be taking out to re-listen to, also going through my ~200gig mp3 collection. These headphones make me jump from rock, to electronic, to acoustic, to hiphop, to live recordings and everything else i got one after another... Definitely sounding great for all genres of music in my opinion. So happy
biggrin.gif

If anyone have any questions regarding these cans/amp/comparisons with hd555/hd580, hit me up with a message and ill help out.

Apr 12, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #275 of 379
The SA5000 are an excellent of example of how A/Bing headphones back-and-forth quickly to compare them is not the best way to determine which you like better. It is so difficult to switch between the SA5000 and other headphones that I know I like.

For example, switching from the SA5000 to the RS-1, the bass sounds incredibly congested, but I know for a fact that I really like the RS-1 bass and would never describe it as congested had I not just switched from the SA5000. Once I'm accustomed to the RS-1s, switching back to the SA5000 makes them seem overly cold. But once I reacquaint myself with the SA5000, I think they have a nice balance and sound great.

Also, my issues, to the extent that they were issues, with the SA5000 bass have cleared up. I think it has sufficient body now. Still, it's not like the RS-1, HD650, or CD3000 is this regard, but it sounds balanced and correct given the other virtues of the SA5000.

To emphasize more, the detail is just amazing and -- best of all -- it's balanced within the music.

Apr 12, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #276 of 379
acs236: you summed up my own experience with the SA5000/MS-pros. Swapping back and forth can make your head spin. The SA5000 seem so much better technically, but I know I love the MS-pros...

Yes, I felt the SA5000 truer to the music on many tracks. Then I place a good solid piece of rock into the CDP and who cares - those MS-pros just sound so great! The win for emotion goes to the grado sound, the points for technical ability go to the SA5000. Both make a great combination.

TonyAAA

Apr 12, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #277 of 379
I just sold my ms-pros in favor of the SA5000. While the bass is not the same as the ms-pro's (notice I didn't say "not as good) overall the SA5000 seems more real in terms of what I hear. I like the Grado/Alessandro sound, however, when I have a can with this much detail, nice tight bass, superior soundstage and imaging (compared to the ms-pro's) the decision for me was easy.

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #279 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Also, my issues, to the extent that they were issues, with the SA5000 bass have cleared up.

It only gets better with time
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
The SA5000 seem so much better technically

The win for emotion goes to the grado sound, the points for technical ability go to the SA5000.

I feel that technical ability goes a longer way when you upgrade. I've always felt a lack of emotion as a system that is too digital sounding or sounds amped. It's never usually the sound of the headphone. SA5000 is just showing the nature of your system.

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #280 of 379
Quote:

Tyrion,

How did you like your (for-sale) HD25 with the SA5000?

I like it a lot. The only reason I am selling is because I am moving to the Raptor and Dynahi so something has to go. It was warmer sounding than the Dynahi. The detail was toned down compared to the Dynahi. The bass was not as tight as the Dynahi. But you asked whether I liked it and the answer is yes. As you know, we are always tempted by what's next. For me it's the Raptor and Dynahi.

Apr 12, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #281 of 379
Thanks Tyrion. I often find myself tempted by tubes, but I really want to stay away from them because I'm worried that I would be consistently tube rolling. I don't want anythign that is so tweakable.

Apr 12, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #282 of 379
Quote:

Thanks Tyrion. I often find myself tempted by tubes, but I really want to stay away from them because I'm worried that I would be consistently tube rolling. I don't want anythign that is so tweakable.

I know what your saying but with the HD25 I did very little rolling despite having a bunch of tubes available. For some it is enjoyable, for me it takes away from my listening time.

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #283 of 379
Quote:

think it has sufficient body now. Still, it's not like the RS-1, HD650, or CD3000 is this regard

So you're saying the SA5K has even less body than the CD3K?

Apr 12, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #284 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
"...modifications not expressly approved in this manual could void your authority to operate this equipment"

This is like offering candy to a baby to me
biggrin.gif
I'm really tempted to "void my authority" by modding the crap out of a pair, hahahahahahhaha...

Apr 12, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #285 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
So you're saying the SA5K has even less body than the CD3K?

I think the bass of CD3K is nice, with good overal balance with the mids and highs. But yes, I think on some equipment that the SA5K bass has less body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back