SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
Apr 15, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #287 of 379
They're here! They're finally here! Let the burn-in begin!

sa5000.jpg

Aaah, so pretty - to the eyes and ears, though I refuse to pass judgement until after burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #290 of 379
WARNING
I know it has been said before but these are not designed for larger heads at all. I don't mean folks with huge Mike Tyson heads but anyone over 5'10" might finds these very uncomfortable. I don't think I have that large of a head but even I have to put them at setting 10 which just fits but not enough to avoid having the cheese grater press into the top of my head.

I can see now I am going to have to mod these things. Anyone else tried anything that worked?

As for the sound, I am still burning them as I just received them but my initial impressions are very favorable after my K501s.

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #291 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz
WARNING
I know it has been said before but these are not designed for larger heads at all. I don't mean folks with huge Mike Tyson heads but anyone over 5'10" might finds these very uncomfortable. I don't think I have that large of a head but even I have to put them at setting 10 which just fits but not enough to avoid having the cheese grater press into the top of my head.

I can see now I am going to have to mod these things. Anyone else tried anything that worked?

As for the sound, I am still burning them as I just received them but my initial impressions are very favorable after my K501s.

Hmm I'm 5'11" and they are by far the most comfortable cans I've owned. Are you wearing them towards the back of your head, such that the bars supporting the "cheese grater" don't touch your head? I found this helps comfort a lot.

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #293 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz
WARNING

Are you sure you're wearing them right? I have a small head and was using setting 6 before I realized my error. I started wearing them towards the back, centering the headband on the bald spot... now im using setting 1, its very comfortable. These are definately made for large heads.

Apr 15, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #294 of 379
Likewise, I'm 6'5", I have them at full extension (my head goes to 11!), and while I could afford another notch for perfect placement they fit fine and are as comfortable as anything else I've worn.

Edit: and yes, I wear them centered on where my bald spot will one day be, but luckilly isn't there yet.
wink.gif
Anyplace else and the bars touch my head, which is not so comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #296 of 379
The "bald spot" configuration is certainly the most comfortable -- except it kind of feels like the headphones could slip off. In practice, they don't, but it still feels that way. The manual is kind of misleading in this regard because it talks about how wide the headband is ("for comfort"), yet in this configuration, it's not flush with your head. I still think this is the way they're meant to be worn.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #297 of 379
gsferrari, 3 notches to go? Let me try that. Nope. 2 notches, ok that feels better. But it feels unnatural because the bottom edge pinches my ear lobes. I guess I am used to the wide birth of the K501 cups.

Yes, I had read about the bald spot riding thing.

Hhhmm, I wonder if I can find someone with a sewing machine to replace the fabric with holes with something similar without?

Apr 16, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #298 of 379
I'm having trouble understanding why the holes are bothering you. I take it that your head is pressing REALLY hard up against the fabric? I think the holes are there to allow it to stretch a bit more. But tell us more about how it is bothering you.

Apr 16, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #299 of 379
I agree that the targeting the bald spot works best, although it still results in a minor but noticeable pressure point that takes a bit of getting used to. If any part of the metal frame touches you head IMO you're not doing it right. That said, the adaptation period is well worth it - superb cans!

Since I bought ER4s a few years ago I have purchased several other headphones that were both popular and well regarded. I sent them all back because the speed/detail/SQ of the ER4s is a hard act to follow. Not so with the SA5k. Yeah, I gagged at the $400 price tag but couldn't shake the "ETYs in a can" opinions expressed here and clicked "buy now" with anxious fingers crossed.

I've had them for a few days now and can report a dissapointment factor of zero. And during burn-in they just sound better every day. I just don't want to take them off my head!

And regarding the price tag, it's interesting to see that other "rate your SA5k" report practically everyone rating them as "good value for money," even at $400+! I thoroughly agree.

These are the cans I've been looking for...

Apr 16, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #300 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiveOne
That said, the adaptation period is well worth it - superb cans!
And regarding the price tag, it's interesting to see that other "rate your SA5k" report practically everyone rating them as "good value for money," even at $400+! I thoroughly agree.

Funny enough, for me there was no "adaptation". Because of the shape of my head and the way I usually hold my head when listening - staring at a computer screen, head angled down cause I'm tall - I've worn many of my headphones over that portion of my head for a very long time
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the price, considering the other cans I've owned and heard, "extras" like the construction, leather pads, stand (yes I agree the lack of a case is kinda lame).... for full size cans they fit snuggly into their $400 price point. Which is actually kinda surprising considering they carry the Sony brand name. Of course MSRP is twice as much, but Senns are no different in that respect.

I think for the features that the SA-5000 shines for, the canalphones naturally give you better bang for the buck. For me I learned I couldn't stand the things, so this makes me happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back