SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
Apr 9, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #256 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Definitely not in my opinion. That spike is what annoyed me about the RS1 and eventually was responsible for their sale. I detect no such problem with the SA5K.

edit: Nothin' like answering a questions about spikes for spike, eh?

Haha
wink.gif

The spike magically disappeared overnight, this is after 80 hrs burn in. Sweet, now to get the funds for sa5k
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #257 of 379
I tried the SA5000 with my Yamha U50 (as the source and amp) today for a few minutes and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I think the U50 is a lot warmer than the HK 8550 + Gilmore v.1 combo I had been using with the sa5000 earlier. I hope to be able to listen using the Onix later.

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #258 of 379
Could somebody briefly compare the HD 650 against the SA5000? Thank you very much in advance.

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #259 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Could somebody briefly compare the HD 650 against the SA5000? Thank you very much in advance.

I'll give it a shot...

The SA5000 are a lot faster than the 650s.

The 650s are generally thicker throughout the sonic spectrum.

The bass of the SA5000 is much tighter and more articulate, but the 650's bass has significantly more visceral impact.

The 650s are smoother sounding and warmer.

The SA5000 are more forward, but also quite balanced, in my opinion.

The SA5000 convey more detail.

The SA5000 have a more layered soundstage.

Apr 10, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #260 of 379
edit

Apr 10, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #261 of 379
Backdrifter, I think you're right about the relative openness. At first I thought the SA5000 were completely open as well, but I notice some very very slight attenuation with them when listening near my loud computer. It's very slightly, but they're definitely not as open as the 650s.

Apr 10, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #262 of 379
Does that mean the sound is also less «open» (= breathing)?

peacesign.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #263 of 379
Quote:

Does that mean the sound is also less «open» (= breathing)

The SA5Ks are definately semi-open, sort of like the CD3Ks but in a very different manner. The booklet that came with the phones says that the black housing material is made of some very porous material covered with nylon fiber, in essense making the cans highly "breathing" - but definately these are not fully open as it pleasantly attenuates some of the external noise as well as provides a level of closed-can reverberation (a la CD3K?) especially noticeable in the mids.

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #264 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
The Sony driver appeared sealed (you can't see it from the outside), and I didn't think the porous woven material of the Sony was all that porous.

I think the woven material just covers the plastic driver casing. The design is open, even though you can't see the drivers from the screen.

Update on the sound:

The cans continue to smooth out. They are now less intolerable of crappy source material. Of all places, I have them plugged in to the headphone out on my Harmon/Kardon computer speakers. I'm really diggin' these cans, even with MP3s! They have a nice layered soundstage and amazing detail. I am taking my time with these headphones as far as analyzing their abilities, but so far I feel that these headphones are the the only real contender to the HD-650 at the price point.

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #265 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I am taking my time with these headphones as far as analyzing their abilities, but so far I feel that these headphones are the the only real contender to the HD-650 at the price point.

Real contender, eh? Take your time, but IMO it is a much better overall headphone than the HD650, I much agree with acs236 on the below comments, this is so far IMO the best comparison between those two:

Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I'll give it a shot...

The SA5000 are a lot faster than the 650s.

The 650s are generally thicker throughout the sonic spectrum.

The bass of the SA5000 is much tighter and more articulate, but the 650's bass has significantly more visceral impact.

The 650s are smoother sounding and warmer.

The SA5000 are more forward, but also quite balanced, in my opinion.

The SA5000 convey more detail.

The SA5000 have a more layered soundstage.

Apr 10, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #266 of 379
Some humorous engrish in the operating instructions:

"Adoption of natural leather for earpads make pleasant feel for your listening comfort"

"...neodymium magnets are used to reproduce...wealthy low range sounds"

and the standard warning:

"...modifications not expressly approved in this manual could void your authority to operate this equipment"

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #268 of 379
edit

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #269 of 379
Quote:

Hi, Canman.

Obviously, you have them in front of you and I don't, but I believe the driver is inside of that metal ring on the outside, with that metal grid inside it. I couldn't see through that grid. It just looked like a solid black surface underneath covering the driver. The woven material is just covering a fraction of the outside of the cup. Some of the outside is rubber, and obviously the rest is metal and leather. I couldn't see anything "open", so I don't know what you mean. I would call them closed but leaky.

We might be just be having a semantic problem here. They're definitely not open in the way the HD-650 is. Would you agree?

Regards.

Porous doesn't have to be visibly porous, I believe that black material behind the metal grille is porous but not on a visible level.

From a macro-mechanical point of view it is closed. From a micro-mechanical point of view it is open. Sum the two together and it's semi-open.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #270 of 379
The SA5000 are sounding great with the Onix -- I may have to take back some of the things I've said about the SA5000.
biggrin.gif
Maybe.

There are too many variables right now to say for sure, but I'm hearing better body with the bass now. I'll let myself get accustomed to the Onix, try it with some other headphones, and comment more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back