S:flo2 impressions thread
Sep 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #2,431 of 3,682

Quote:
I've been listening to the S:Flo 2 with a newly purchased set of Sony MDR-EX500LP's for the past four days; a random purchase. And I've got to admit, they are pretty damn good together. Seriously, the Sony EX500's are bad ass. Colored, sure. But so damn silky and smooth. Best bass I've ever heard in an IEM (I actually had to take the low end down to "-2" on the S:Flo 2); Color me a convert.

That said?

I'm taking them back to Fry's and ordering the EX700's online.

:wink:

(I still love my Shure SE530's but they really are more clinically accurate than just about anything I've heard; and this is not a bad thing; I won't ever get rid of them; more detailed than the Sony's, way better mid range ... but for fun? Listening at work or while driving around? The Sony's win. No contest.)

Also, another interesting bit? The S:Flo 2, while sounding stellar with the Sony's, cant' really power them adequately from the headphone output (at max volume on the wheel, it's still not that loud); also, listening to the "Line Out" is not loud at all ... way lower than the  max on the Headphone Out and zero distortion ... sort of an "agreeable and friendly" listening volume, actually; but then again, my ears are sort of blown from playing in rock bands back in the day.

More later re: Sflo: 2 and Sony MDR-eX700.

WOW... for using the SE530's you are stepping down quite alot... Is this where it is at?  I have done this with "low-end" IE but that was because of reviews and I could afford the lower price to purchase them.   I guess you have to really search out and find the "sound" you are looking for to reach the perfect match with your DAP.
smile_phones.gif

With my Cowon and the 3 custom settings I do enjoy the different phones and setups available.
Now I guess... here is my question... and maybe it is already been answered as I have seen this in previous posts... The J3... or the Sflo2 ?  if you were independent and had the choice.. not taking in consideration of cost... which one would you purchase? 
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #2,432 of 3,682

Quote:
^ Ha. Still, to sit down and read 162 pages from start to end is very different to following a 162 page long thread.

Hero kid..... It took me a bit of time... I started back around the 20th of July... In that time... i watched the Sflo2 availability at Nationite go from lots... to ZERO... (sigh)
blink.gif

guess i can now wait .. like all of you have... 
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #2,433 of 3,682
Surrealsky,

Although I've not listened to the sflo2 with any of the portable amps you've listed, you may wish to consider looking into the Fanmusic MKII.  I bought one off Ebay a few months ago and I've been very happy with it.  For me, it pairs very well with Westone 3's.  I find that this set up thru th LO extends the range over the HO.  So although I still enjoy listening to the Sflo2 thru the HO, I clearly prefer listening thru the LO connected to the Fanmusic amp and Westone 3's.  The Fanmusic amp was not very expensive (~$90, with shipping).  I'll admit that I was nervous about receiving a counterfeit product but after receiving the amp (thru vendor Pollychen), I have been extremely satisfied with my purchase.  Although it comes from China, my total order from the time I placed it til it arrived to my home only took ~10 days.  Yes, much faster shipping than the sflo2.  Good luck....

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #2,434 of 3,682

Quote:
Surrealsky,

Although I've not listened to the sflo2 with any of the portable amps you've listed, you may wish to consider looking into the Fanmusic MKII.  I bought one off Ebay a few months ago and I've been very happy with it.  For me, it pairs very well with Westone 3's.  I find that this set up thru th LO extends the range over the HO.  So although I still enjoy listening to the Sflo2 thru the HO, I clearly prefer listening thru the LO connected to the Fanmusic amp and Westone 3's.  The Fanmusic amp was not very expensive (~$90, with shipping).  I'll admit that I was nervous about receiving a counterfeit product but after receiving the amp (thru vendor Pollychen), I have been extremely satisfied with my purchase.  Although it comes from China, my total order from the time I placed it til it arrived to my home only took ~10 days.  Yes, much faster shipping than the sflo2.  Good luck....

Dear jdog,

Thank you for taking the time to replying me. I have never heard of that amp but i am willing to check it out and might give it a shot. Yes there have been many bad transactions over the net involving china but buying from a reputable place like houseofdap is recommended. I ordered a teclast t51 from them and decided to cancel it, i emailed them and they readily refunded me. That to me is quality response and service. Will update at here once i get an amp to try it out.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #2,435 of 3,682
Here's a little praise: I hadn't used my T51 in about 2 weeks, but today, after turning it on, it seems to have kept most of its charge... and I am blasting away my new ES7's (expensive, but pretty good). Lovin' the sound of this badboy again.

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #2,436 of 3,682
I have read from many users that the LO is better than the HO.  When I plug my re0 into the LO, it is very loud to listen to music.  It is only usable through my headsix.  Sorry if this is a trivial question, but how do you guys test and compare the LO and HO without the usage of amp? Is there a way to listen music through the LO without using a amp?

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #2,437 of 3,682
^No, not unless you have a pair of high impedance phones. You will not be able to adjust the volume of the LO.

On a side note, has anyone figured out how to replace the battery? Is there even a better quality battery available? My battery life has already dropped significantly; it feels like I'm only getting about 3-4 hours on it.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #2,438 of 3,682

Quote:
I think it's easy to say you can scratch the t3d/t4/d10 off your list. I'd maybe give the toucan in balanced mode a shot if I were you.

I dunno about that.  I have a D10 with the "final" Hiflight topkit connected to sflo2 via LO and its incredible.  I much prefer it to the D10s internal DAC as insane as that might sound.  Not sure how to put it into words either and it seems to work for all music styles.  Extremely accurate and very lively is a start.  I think there is a slight exaggeration of dynamic range that makes things interesting but I just love it.  I am using this combo with SA6's with neutral treble and bass ports and the Sflo2 set to user EQ - all zeros i.e. dead flat.  

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #2,439 of 3,682

Quote:
^No, not unless you have a pair of high impedance phones. You will not be able to adjust the volume of the LO.

On a side note, has anyone figured out how to replace the battery? Is there even a better quality battery available? My battery life has already dropped significantly; it feels like I'm only getting about 3-4 hours on it.

Side note: The battery in the T51 is very powerful and much stronger than other batteries in portable devices. This isn't really answering your question but thsi has been asked before and multiple people have said that with the T51, you can't really get a battery for it. 

I mean you're powering multiple audio chips, what more can you expect? 

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #2,440 of 3,682

Quote:
I have read from many users that the LO is better than the HO.  When I plug my re0 into the LO, it is very loud to listen to music.  It is only usable through my headsix.  Sorry if this is a trivial question, but how do you guys test and compare the LO and HO without the usage of amp? Is there a way to listen music through the LO without using a amp?

Interesting comment.

With my Shure SE530's, plug'd straight in to the Line out, it's way to loud to listen too. Hurts. Sort of distorted. Very loud!

With a set of Sony MDR-EX500's, plug'd straight in to the Line out, it's not nearly loud enough. Easy listening volume. No distortion at all. Sounds really good, too.

Strange the dichotomy between the SE530's and the MDR-EX500's ... must have something to do with ohms (I'm not scientific enough to resolve the problem so someone else step in, please).

I've got a set of MDR-EX700's on the way (plus a 2nd Gen Arrow HE headamp) and so I look forward to more demonstrations.

Fun DAP for sure. All flaws aside.

(sound over comfort!)

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2,442 of 3,682

Quote:
I dunno about that.  I have a D10 with the "final" Hiflight topkit connected to sflo2 via LO and its incredible.  I much prefer it to the D10s internal DAC as insane as that might sound.  Not sure how to put it into words either and it seems to work for all music styles.  Extremely accurate and very lively is a start.  I think there is a slight exaggeration of dynamic range that makes things interesting but I just love it.  I am using this combo with SA6's with neutral treble and bass ports and the Sflo2 set to user EQ - all zeros i.e. dead flat.  

I just know that I've used a D4 and an Alo RX and both amps have been similarly ranked and/or are higher ranked than the D10 and I didn't notice enough of a difference between those amps and the HO to justify carrying around the extra bulk. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #2,443 of 3,682
wow that report about the battery weakening to 4-5 hours is pretty alarming, wonder if it's possible to replace the battery oneself

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #2,444 of 3,682

Quote:

The way I did it was with full sized cans that need some power to shine.  You match gains on the HO the best you can w/ the output of the LO using the headphones.  Then just swap back and forth, it becomes pretty obvious the differences

Quote:
wow that report about the battery weakening to 4-5 hours is pretty alarming, wonder if it's possible to replace the battery oneself

I would take peoples battery reports w/ a grain of salt.  Most people didn't condition or cycle their batteries out of the box per the directions or even knew there were directions.  I'm not even sure there is an overcharge protection circuit so if you leave your Sflo2 plugged in while fully charged you are overcharging it damaging the battery.  This is what happens to all Lithium Ion batteries w/o protection from the user.  I don't think the battery is poor quality since Shigzeo still had full charge after a long period of non use.  If the charge was empty then I would look to the battery.  Plus those using the HO are almost doubling their power consumption compared to those using just the LO and have the HO volume cranked down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back