S:flo2 impressions thread
Sep 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2,416 of 3,682
Hello Sflo2 forum.

Just registered and joined this forum, although prior to joining I read the ENTIRE 161 pages of comments,accolades,discouragement, and humor with the Sflo2. 
I may be a bit out of my league here although I do have an S9 but my headphones leave MUCH to be desired after searching out some of the headphones you folks seem to have.

A bit of history... I stumbled on to the Sflo2 after I inadvertently immersed my S9 in a bit of coffee.. enough to render it useless.  Fortunately one of my sons is proficient in computer/electronic fiddling and took the S9 apart, cleaned it out and put it back together again.  The only issue was that my battery life went from infinity to 45 minutes.  I sent it back to Cowon and they are replacing a switch board and the battery. ($84).  I absolutely LOVE the Cowon and kind of thought it was the best around. I have listened to no name MP3 players and after the Cowon broke got a great deal on a refurbished Fuse so I had something to listen to. (was not impressed)

I absolutely LOVE music and the way it sounds... or should I say.. the way it is brought back through a GOOD player/headphones... I used to have some high end stereo equipment in my youth but have no home system now.  Dabbled in what I thought were decent priced headphones.. all in ear, but again.. some of the prices of yours are a bit high end for my budget, but the reviews of the higher end offerings sound incredible

My S9 is done and I should receive it back soon.  The Sflo2 looks quite interesting and the SQ sounds at least as good as Cowon if not better... Of course.. I also checked out the J3 which is the next upgrade from the S9.  i can't afford two players so if and when I do purchase the Sflo2 or J3, the Cowon would be on the market.  
I wanted to thank all of the people who have contributed to this forum as I have learned alot about the ins and outs of the DAP or PMP world.   The idea of an decent little headphone amp and some super duper headphones makes me yearn for it ALL...   can you tell i love good sound?    er.. well maybe not... 

just wanted to get on the Sflo2 bandwagon .. or at least follow behind it a bit

Michael

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #2,418 of 3,682

Nice post mike4mus6!  Best wishes in your search.

Quote:
Wow that's dedicated. I've read through some lengthy topics in my time but never 162 pages!

Man this is nothing compared to a 1400 page thread I've been following.  Of course I haven't read that one in entirety and prefer movies to Russian authors.  
wink_face.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #2,420 of 3,682

Quote:
^ Ha. Still, to sit down and read 162 pages from start to end is very different to following a 162 page long thread.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to diminish that at all.  Commendable for sure and he appears to be going about using the information the right way.

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #2,421 of 3,682
I was in Shenzen yesterday,to celebrate 30years of Shenzen Zone.They had great fireworks and bit of propaganda.I looked through some shops - T51 NO-where.There are some pmps from Teclast on displays,but not T51.
This is:good news,cause it is selling well;and bad news,cause you can not buy.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #2,422 of 3,682
I just gotten my sflo 2 from someone else! Are you guys using normal eq or playfx? I tried the playfx LEQ settings and it sounded pretty good as well! On a side note, is it possible for me to cancel my order and get a refund from houseofdap.com? I ordered yesterday and they have not shipped my order yet.

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #2,424 of 3,682
Btw i have to admit the SQ on the sflo2 is astounding,  it's almost on par with my h120/sysconcept/d10 via optical for so much less the price and bulk. Simply amazing.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #2,425 of 3,682

Quote:
I just gotten my sflo 2 from someone else! Are you guys using normal eq or playfx? I tried the playfx LEQ settings and it sounded pretty good as well! On a side note, is it possible for me to cancel my order and get a refund from houseofdap.com? I ordered yesterday and they have not shipped my order yet.

Maybe, can't hurt to try right? I suggest emailing them though or reading the "fine print" to save you the possibility of hassle. 

Quote:
To me it sounds best left on "Normal".

Yea same here. Even when put on EQ flat, it just seems to lose the power that the DAP has... granted that could be because of the lowering of the pre-amp to prevent distortion but... yea, I like it on normal. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #2,427 of 3,682
I've been listening to the S:Flo 2 with a newly purchased set of Sony MDR-EX500LP's for the past four days; a random purchase. And I've got to admit, they are pretty damn good together. Seriously, the Sony EX500's are bad ass. Colored, sure. But so damn silky and smooth. Best bass I've ever heard in an IEM (I actually had to take the low end down to "-2" on the S:Flo 2); Color me a convert.

That said?

I'm taking them back to Fry's and ordering the EX700's online.

:wink:

(I still love my Shure SE530's but they really are more clinically accurate than just about anything I've heard; and this is not a bad thing; I won't ever get rid of them; more detailed than the Sony's, way better mid range ... but for fun? Listening at work or while driving around? The Sony's win. No contest.)

Also, another interesting bit? The S:Flo 2, while sounding stellar with the Sony's, cant' really power them adequately from the headphone output (at max volume on the wheel, it's still not that loud); also, listening to the "Line Out" is not loud at all ... way lower than the  max on the Headphone Out and zero distortion ... sort of an "agreeable and friendly" listening volume, actually; but then again, my ears are sort of blown from playing in rock bands back in the day.

More later re: Sflo: 2 and Sony MDR-eX700.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #2,428 of 3,682

Quote:
I've been listening to the S:Flo 2 with a newly purchased set of Sony MDR-EX500LP's for the past four days; a random purchase. And I've got to admit, they are pretty damn good together. Seriously, the Sony EX500's are bad ass. Colored, sure. But so damn silky and smooth. Best bass I've ever heard in an IEM (I actually had to take the low end down to "-2" on the S:Flo 2); Color me a convert.

That said?

I'm taking them back to Fry's and ordering the EX700's online.

(I still love my Shure SE530's but they really are more clinically accurate than just about anything I've heard; and this is not a bad thing; I won't ever get rid of them; more detailed than the Sony's, way better mid range ... but for fun? Listening at work or while driving around? The Sony's win. No contest.)

Also, another interesting bit? The S:Flo 2, while sounding stellar with the Sony's, cant' really power them adequately from the headphone output (at max volume on the wheel, it's still not that loud); also, listening to the "Line Out" is not loud at all ... way lower than the  max on the Headphone Out and zero distortion ... sort of an "agreeable and friendly" listening volume, actually; but then again, my ears are sort of blown from playing in rock bands back in the day.

More later re: Sflo: 2 and Sony MDR-eX700.

Using the EQ on the Flo2 cuts your gain by about 30-40% so yeah its not going to be loud.  Especially w/ 2.3

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #2,429 of 3,682

Quote:
Using the EQ on the Flo2 cuts your gain by about 30-40% so yeah its not going to be loud.  Especially w/ 2.3

Sounds like SanDisk firmware.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back