S:flo2 impressions thread
Mar 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #556 of 3,682
So I figured out how to change the language back. So I'm at FW 2.0 and am really liking this player. Very smooth, detailed, great bass, great separation, airy with depth. The EQ is nice and does not degrade the SQ when used.

As long as you organize your music in folders by artist, then a folder for albums then the song tracks numbered in the file name browsing by directory works fine.

Do not depend on ID3 tags, my huge audio collection can be viewed by id tags or by folder browsing so this was not an issue for me.

This player lives up to the hype as far as SQ goes. With my Hippo VB's it sounds great and I really don't think you'll need an amp with this player.

So I would not say it KILLS my Zune30\XM5 combo but it is a clear upgrade in SQ in some subtle ways but they have a similar sound signature and it does not need an amp so that is a plus. It is enough of an improvement to just sit back and enjoy it.

If this player came out in 64GB size and still had micro SD slot it would easily be my everyday player. Right now I'm going to have to really see how much stuff I can fit on it with multiple 16GB SDHC cards.

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #557 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh dear lord. That's the suxor.

Where did you download your update files from? My 2nd batch player reports a 1.1 version firmware and I'm reluctant to upgrade to the 2.0 batch (even though the "pure and simple" interface looks quite nice).

I got the update and firmware here

Nationite S:Flo2 ‘Pure & Simple’ Skin With Video & Download | MP4 Nation Blog

I was able to find the language setting after someone replied to me on the mp4nation forums, it was not a big deal to find.

I was able to upgrade from 1.1--->1.20--->2.00 on my vista pc even though they say vista has issues, it worked really well for me

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #558 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I figured out how to change the language back. So I'm at FW 2.0 and am really liking this player. Very smooth, detailed, great bass, great separation, airy with depth. The EQ is nice and does not degrade the SQ when used.

As long as you organize your music in folders by artist, then a folder for albums then the song tracks numbered in the file name browsing by directory works fine.

Do not depend on ID3 tags, my huge audio collection can be viewed by id tags or by folder browsing so this was not an issue for me.

This player lives up to the hype as far as SQ goes. With my Hippo VB's it sounds great and I really don't think you'll need an amp with this player.

So I would not say it KILLS my Zune30\XM5 combo but it is a clear upgrade in SQ and some subtle ways and it does not need an amp. It is enough of an improvement to just sit back and enjoy it.

If this player came out in 64GB size and still had micro SD slot it would easily be my everyday player. Right now I'm going to have to really see how much stuff I can fit on it with multiple 16GB SDHC cards.

I agree on all points.

Can't say enough about it.

I spent two hours at a bar today, watching soccer and listening to FLACS on the S:flo 2, through my Shure SE530's ... and it was divine.

Funny thing, with all other PAD's, I've had to use EQ settings to make my SE530's sound "just right" ... but with the S:flo 2, no such EQ'ing is necessary. Everything is at zero. But still, huge and deep and tight bass ... great highs ... incredible sound stage ...

A pretty damn incredible machine.

BTW:

I'm still at firmware 1.1 ... I want to update to the 2.0 version but am afraid of messing up an already good thing ... do you have any pointers/tips?

Thanks in advance ...

.joel.

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #559 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree on all points.

Can't say enough about it.

I spent two hours at a bar today, watching soccer and listening to FLACS on the S:flo 2, through my Shure SE530's ... and it was divine.

Funny thing, with all other PAD's, I've had to use EQ settings to make my SE530's sound "just right" ... but with the S:flo 2, no such EQ'ing is necessary. Everything is at zero. But still, huge and deep and tight bass ... great highs ... incredible sound stage ...

A pretty damn incredible machine.

BTW:

I'm still at firmware 1.1 ... I want to update to the 2.0 version but am afraid of messing up an already good thing ... do you have any pointers/tips?

Thanks in advance ...

.joel.

I wouldn't worry to much about messing it up you can use the reset button if you brick your player. Just read the instructions carefully, I completely didn't read that I needed to install a new usb driver during the install process which made the upgrade not work and bricked my player.

Just go from 1.1 to 1.2 then to 2.00. You will need a different installer for 1.2 then the one in the link I gave you.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #560 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just read on mp4nation forums this DAP won't work for Mac users...bummer. I had JUST convinced myself to transcode all my ALAC to 320VBR AAC to use w/ the Sflo2...

I'm considering this player also, but this Mac issue concerns me. Does anyone know if Ubuntu is supported? I had assumed that this would use a standard USB driver, but if OSX isn't support then I'm assuming that's not the case. Does this use a third-party Windows driver, only?

Also, to anyone who has this already, a few other questions (and apologies if this has already been mentioned - i'm trying to search the posts as well):

- MKV support. Does this support multiple audio tracks? And embedded subtitles?

- Can it handle AC3 audio in AVI / MKV containers?

- Ogg Vorbis support. Anyone use OV and is it stable for you?

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #561 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering this player also, but this Mac issue concerns me. Does anyone know if Ubuntu is supported? I had assumed that this would use a standard USB driver, but if OSX isn't support then I'm assuming that's not the case. Does this use a third-party Windows driver, only?

Also, to anyone who has this already, a few other questions (and apologies if this has already been mentioned - i'm trying to search the posts as well):

- MKV support. Does this support multiple audio tracks? And embedded subtitles?

- Can it handle AC3 audio in AVI / MKV containers?

- Ogg Vorbis support. Anyone use OV and is it stable for you?

Thanks.

MKV runs fine not sure about multiple tracks.

AVI with ac3 works great tried a couple of 720p avi/ac3 vids run flawless. SRT subtitles run fine as well not sure about other sub formats

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #562 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nothing works with the device except windows pc's. For mac users you can try bootcamp or just pick up a cheap win xp netbook.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #563 of 3,682
Quote:

Nothing works with the device except windows pc's. For mac users you can try bootcamp or just pick up a cheap win xp netbook.

I'm sure that buying a netbook just to use this player is definitely worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #565 of 3,682
Quote:

I have a few Windows PC's at my disposal (I work IT) - it's just that my primary PC, with my music files, is Ubuntu. So not a deal breaker, just an annoyance in my case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidey84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MKV runs fine not sure about multiple tracks.

AVI with ac3 works great tried a couple of 720p avi/ac3 vids run flawless. SRT subtitles run fine as well not sure about other sub formats

Thanks for the info!

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #567 of 3,682
Can anyone tell me which class of micro memory card is needed for the s:flo2 expansion slot? It seems class 6 cards may be recommended, but would class 4 cards work? Would there be any advantage to using class 8 or 10 cards? Thanks.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #568 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me which class of micro memory card is needed for the s:flo2 expansion slot? It seems class 6 cards may be recommended, but would class 4 cards work? Would there be any advantage to using class 8 or 10 cards? Thanks.

I use a 16GB class 2 MicroSD card and it works fine. I get the same transfer rates copying to the internal memory compared to the SD card so I do not think a faster class card will do anything for you except cost more.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #569 of 3,682
Quote:

I use a 16GB class 2 MicroSD card and it works fine. I get the same transfer rates copying to the internal memory compared to the SD card so I do not think a faster class card will do anything for you except cost more.

Just to piggyback this I remember reading an early adopter's review saying that having a "slower" card didn't negatively affect the playback. Everything integrated and played back seamlessly.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #570 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i received my s:flo2 today from the preorder batch 2, i'll post my impressions later, but i'll add the mail tracking is nonexistent
wink_face.gif

I have an order for batch 3. If you only received your batch 2 S:Flo2, that makes me worried. I am tired of the sound on my iphone 3G.
Can you tell me how long it took to get to you from when it shipped?

Oh, and what part of the world do you live in?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back