S:flo2 impressions thread
Mar 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #526 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just preordered one, and because of the UI I am holding reservations about this thing again. My Cowon d2 screen cracked and its unusable..so this would have to be my only player :/

Hope the UI does improve because software could always be improved...yet I have doubts that they will care enough to improve the software significantly...

gknix,

Hi and welcome to the world of Ultra Definition... as I like to call it... LOL. Um, the UI may not be super fine tuned, but it is nicely utilitarian, and fairly logical. If slightly... slightly redundant. with the going back to the directory browser to load new albums instead of just popping up a level you pop from the root of the device... its a aspect you GET used to... but then when you do... its alright. At that point its just so worth hearing the Sound Quality of the player you stop caring... or you sell the player.

Have a happy romance with your new player I hope!!!

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #527 of 3,682
Just got my player today, I agree that the sound and video quality are top notch. However, the screen have 4 vertical streaks that are pretty obvious especially when displaying a white background, just wondering do any you also have the same problem?

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #531 of 3,682
I got my s:flo 2 about four days ago and I must agree with what I've heard so far regarding sound quality ... it is really outstanding.

Compared with my Sansa Clip, the s:Flo 2 is head and shoulders a winner in sound quality. Way more detail/resolution and the soundfield/imaging is really really good. A very 3D presentation of the music (mind you I have all the lame FX turned OFF!) ... very good sound stage ... my Shure SE530's haven't sounded this good.

The Sanza Clip is awesome sure, very forgiving and smooth sounding but compared to the s:flo 2, the imaging is just not there and the detail is no where close. I really think the dual channel DAC application in the s:flo 2 is a pretty neat design approach.

That said ...

I have to back up the other users who have complained about the interface.

The simple fact that the s:flo will not alphabetize artists names when browsing by artists is unbelievably ridiculous. How in the hell are we supposed to find an artist without having to look through the whole dang list? Total PITA.

I have other gripes about the UI but they've all been voiced already so read the thread.

Finally ... I'm sold on the DAP for reasons of sound quality alone ... I can live with the UI annoyances and I hope they improve with further firmware updates.

Best sounding DAP I've heard, hands down. Excellent detail and the user EQ sounds good as well.

And the price, regarding similar players, is quite excellent as well.

Last beef: I ordered the s:flo 2 +Beta Brainwaves combo but they only sent me the player. Not a bit deal since the Brainwaves IEM's are sort of cheap but I still hope I can get them. I'm currently discussing the issue with them ... more later.

Rock on.

.joel

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #532 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by spidey84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my player today, I agree that the sound and video quality are top notch. However, the screen have 4 vertical streaks that are pretty obvious especially when displaying a white background, just wondering do any you also have the same problem?

Wish mine would show up, it is still in route. Been waiting since Jan for mine. The streaks could be some type of backlight bleed through.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #533 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by sashava /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have T51 and flo without vertical lines.My friend's player(flo) - also is free of
any vertical lines,try to clean display..

Hopefully this is not an indication that the 2nd batch has some inherent screen issues that the first batch did not have.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #534 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully this is not an indication that the 2nd batch has some inherent screen issues that the first batch did not have.

I don't think so, my s:flo 2 is a second hand one, the original owner had it since January i think, maybe earlier. The second batch was delivered by the end of February, right? I bought it before that.
It's certainly not a problem of dirtiness either as the lines are straight and parallel.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #535 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so, my s:flo 2 is a second hand one, the original owner had it since January i think, maybe earlier. The second batch was delivered by the end of February, right? I bought it before that.
It's certainly not a problem of dirtiness either as the lines are straight and parallel.

The second batch still has not been delivered to alot of people me included. Mine is en route but has not made it to my house yet.

sorry about the issue but glad it does not seem to point to a second batch problem.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #536 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes i have the same issue with the screen, it's weird that so few people mentioned it. There are also some ugly crosswise lines during fast scenes but i think it comes from the video software.

Mine is from the 2nd batch of preorder, which batch is yours? Its definitely not the screen dirty , its in the lcd display itself only shows up when the screen is lit up. Its pretty irritating especially on music menu. The streaks are always at the same spot, doesnt look like bleeding to me. Also got one blue bright pixel on the screen, not a big problem tho unless I focus on it

Videos play generally fine, though some videos display audio and video not sync, but I guess thats the chip limitation on some codecs. Mp3 and flac files play great no issue with them, powerful player able to drive my HD580 thru hp out without using an amp

Any other users from the 2nd batch have the same problem with the screen? Hope I am not the only unlucky one
frown.gif
, waited for so many months for the player now, finally it arrives but with a hardware problem

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #538 of 3,682
Hey ... little question for S:flo 2 users, especially those using IEM's ...

When listening to a track, if you turn the volume all the way down, do you hear a slight buzzing/distortion/static?

I hear this both in the silence when one track is changing to another and also whenever listening to a track and when the volume is turned all the way down.

The static noise continues but seems to reduce to nil as the volume is slowly increased. Once at a listening level, I can't hear the static noise at all, even in silent areas of the song ... but as the volume is lowered slowly back down to zero, the static becomes apparent again.

Not too bothersome as, again, it seems to disappear completely at regular listening levels but I'd still like to hear if any of you others have experienced this.

Also, I'm going to make a demo track tonight once home from work by running out of the s:flo's headphone out and into my soundcard's input so you can better hear what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if it does this from the line out jack of the s:flo but am going to test that tonight as well and with my desktop amp.

Thanks for any input!

.joel

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #539 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When listening to a track, if you turn the volume all the way down, do you hear a slight buzzing/distortion/static?

I hear this both in the silence when one track is changing to another and also whenever listening to a track and when the volume is turned all the way down.

The static noise continues but seems to reduce to nil as the volume is slowly increased. Once at a listening level, I can't hear the static noise at all, even in silent areas of the song ... but as the volume is lowered slowly back down to zero, the static becomes apparent again.

Not too bothersome as, again, it seems to disappear completely at regular listening levels but I'd still like to hear if any of you others have experienced this.

Also, I'm going to make a demo track tonight once home from work by running out of the s:flo's headphone out and into my soundcard's input so you can better hear what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if it does this from the line out jack of the s:flo but am going to test that tonight as well and with my desktop amp.

Thanks for any input!

.joel

Some have reported hearing static when the display is on, once the display turns off they said it goes away. Is that what you are describing?

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #540 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for any input!

.joel

Yes the noise it there and it is on every S:Flo or T51. From what I have read: this has something to do with the screen, but do not ask me why and how. On my T51 when the screen turns down, the noise is away.

The LO is clean, there is no noise.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back