S:flo2 impressions thread
Mar 19, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #542 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duxxy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered my S:flo2 today.

My favorite players were my sansa fuze and rio karma - i obviously don't care about the UI.

Can't wait for it to come in, i haven't been this hyped about getting a new player in a long time.

You're going to love it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #543 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some have reported hearing static when the display is on, once the display turns off they said it goes away. Is that what you are describing?

Just a further update ...

Yes ... @swanlee ... you are correct. The static is only present when the display is on, after the 10 second cut off point and when the screen goes black, it disappears ...

Although, even when the screen is on, I can't hear the static once adjusting the volume to a proper listening level, even in silent parts of certain tracks ...

I can live with this, for sure ...

Thanks for the input you all.

Best.

.joel

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #546 of 3,682
I ran the S:flo 2 line out to my Raptor desktop amp last night and was pretty blown alway by how good it sounded. Better than my Prelude sound card by a bit.

And even with the headphone out through my SE530's I am more and more blown away by how great this player sounds. The soundstage, for IEM listening anyway, is outrageous on certain tracks.

My comments regarding some of the interface quirks aside, ... again ... definitely the best DAP I've heard ...

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #548 of 3,682
I FINALLY got my SFLO2 today, I ordered Jan 25th. so far so good, mine shipped with firmware 1.10 so I'm going to have to go through the hell of upgrading it. I only have an XP machine at work so this should be fun.

Quick impressions are it does sound really good, a tad better then my Zune30\XM5 combo.

The line out is to loud though, this does NOT play well with my XM5 I pretty much can not turn the dial on the amp more than a notch before it gets to loud and distorts. Kind of what I feared the line out is to powerful and does not allow an external amp any breathing room before getting to loud.

Not sure this will fully replace my Zune30/XM5 but it sounds really good just playing straight out of the device.

I'll have more impressions later.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #549 of 3,682
You might have to get a more sensitive amp; I have that with my RSA Tomahawk (but I keep the gain on high) so I only turn it maybe.... 3 mm and it's loud enough (but more with the gain on low).

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #550 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might have to get a more sensitive amp; I have that with my RSA Tomahawk (but I keep the gain on high) so I only turn it maybe.... 3 mm and it's loud enough (but more with the gain on low).

The XM5 is pretty sensitive, and I rolled the opamps and buffers on it so it sounds a lot better than stock. The LO is just plain to loud, it would probably be good for a car stereo or something but it should be tamed down a tad. I'm probably not going to use an amp with the SFLO2, doesn't seem like I can get a good sound with one and it really doesn't need it.

I'll keep playing around with it but regardless that LO needs to be tamed down a tad.

But it is nice to get a good sound from just the player itself, no real need for a bulky amp or cables etc.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #551 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just read on mp4nation forums this DAP won't work for Mac users...bummer. I had JUST convinced myself to transcode all my ALAC to 320VBR AAC to use w/ the Sflo2...

yes im bummed about this too
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #552 of 3,682
So I was able to get my FLO2 upgraded to version 2.0 however now all the menu option are in Chinese. anyone know if I can change that?

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #554 of 3,682
I heard the S:flo2 is supposed to have a pretty powerful headphone out. Has anyone ran any tests to see what the max recommended ohms should be a of a pair of headphones before switching over to the line out and buying an amp?

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #555 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was able to get my FLO2 upgraded to version 2.0 however now all the menu option are in Chinese. anyone know if I can change that?

Oh dear lord. That's the suxor.

Where did you download your update files from? My 2nd batch player reports a 1.1 version firmware and I'm reluctant to upgrade to the 2.0 batch (even though the "pure and simple" interface looks quite nice).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back