S:flo2 impressions thread
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #511 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Good things come to all those who wait."

Yep mine also shipped out today. To bad this thing doesn't have larger capacity. Even if it sounds stellar which every review indicates it still won't be able to retire my almost 4 year old zune30 with the 100GB HD mod.

I'll invest in one or 2 16GB mini SDHC cards then maybe a couple of 32GB mini SDHC cards when they hit the street and are priced better. But for the time being I will just be using it at home where I can swap files easy.

Can't wait till flash stoage prices go down so we can see a REAL high end audiophile quality dap with 100GB + local storage.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #512 of 3,682
I think that it is not feasible to have a hard disc drive inside the S:Flo2 due to size limitations as well as power drainage, so in the meantime resorting to large size micro SD cards is the best one can do for now.

As for me, 16GB internal memory is still manageable for my personal use. I use mainly FLAC files. If I need more memory, I would probably go for a 16GB card which makes the best value for size. 32GB is still on the expensive side.

By the way, has the second batch of S:Flo2s been shipped out yet?

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #513 of 3,682
Yea a HDD is NOT what you want to do if you want any sort of battery power whatsoever (depends on the model obviously), but... yea. The thing gets around 8 hours with FLAC usage now because of the high amount of stuff going on inside... imagine with a HDD... I'm guessing it would be around 5 hours max with FLAC. Not good :/

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #515 of 3,682
Yea it comes with a wall to usb adapter
smily_headphones1.gif
But for the subtitles thing I'm not sure as I've never tried watching movies on the player :/

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #516 of 3,682
So I just finished reading this WHOLE thread and I saw no mention of this.
I dont plan to watch many videos on this thing, but I was curious about what this player will do when you play an .mkv, as they are usually encoded with AC3 or DTS audio? I would assume it may do AC3, but I doubt they would pay a license for DTS.

Anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #519 of 3,682
Got a B-day coming up and looking for a nice gift for myself....

Would this be a significant upgrade over my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze, SQ wise?
I use my Fuze in combination with an iBasso D2+ amp and Westone UM3X IEMs when I take my time to listen.

Or with crappy UE Metro.fi 170 when commuting as the Westones seal is too good to be safe while biking like a madman through inner city rush hour traffic. On the commute, SQ doesn't really matter anyway as I'm too busy dodging cars that are trying to kill me, so please base your advice on the 1st setup mentioned.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #520 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a B-day coming up and looking for a nice gift for myself....

Would this be a significant upgrade over my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze, SQ wise?
I use my Fuze in combination with an iBasso D2+ amp and Westone UM3X IEMs when I take my time to listen.

Or with crappy UE Metro.fi 170 when commuting as the Westones seal is too good to be safe while biking like a madman through inner city rush hour traffic. On the commute, SQ doesn't really matter anyway as I'm too busy dodging cars that are trying to kill me, so please base your advice on the 1st setup mentioned.

Hi Coop,

I couldn't think of a nicer DAP as a self-gift. Rockbox 3.5.1 did restore a bit of quality to the fuze.... however, its "orb" or soundfield is SMALLER than that of the s:flo2, also a smoother less hi-res version... The s:flo2, if you hear it, the details sound etched or erm unsharp masked... to steal a photo process term. As if a lil halo of definition seperated the details. Thats how I'm most thinking of them. It's an environmental difference, as well as a bass one, where there will be more on the s:flo2 somehow.

Wouldn't reccomend it as the ideal device for using while dodging cars trying to kill you... it has a "pay attention to me while you are using me" User Interface...

Oh and i tend to use mine all alone, or with my iBasso D10, same with the fuze, both alone and with the D10 for that one... so i agree with you and kind of know how you're listening habits are... iBasso is a solid choice! Waving Brand Flag! hehe...

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #521 of 3,682
^Haha oh yea, I love the iBasso brand. I had the T4 right when it came out and loved it and was definitely looking at picking up the D4 or D10 about a month or so ago but got the RSA Tomahawk instead.

But yea that UI is.... I rarely try to use it while driving because it takes a little time and concentration to get it to where you need it to go; but it's not bad IMO.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #522 of 3,682
I got the s:flo2 and have been playing with it for 2 days. My impressions.

mp4nation says in their product description "Music Never Sounded So Good". I agree, but I'd add one more: "Using S:Flo2 Is Like Kicking Yourself In The Balls".

Oh my goodness. ClieOS was right in his review. Buy the S:flo2 for its music, and nothing else. There is no doubt that the s:flo2 is an excellent sounding DAP, probably the best I've ever heard. But they got the UI and OS running so wrong, even considering it's a China product.

Let me list a few annoyances which I feel just boils down to lazy programming on the part of Teclast programmers.

- Track name is the filename, even if you have properly tagged the mp3
- Embedded album art only shows for files less than 4MB, anything bigger you need one jpg for each mp3.
- Since mp3tag is such a mess, the only real way to navigate is using directory. However, even this is a mess, as it displays folders based on the order that you copied to the player. Was it so hard to arrange according to alphabetical order?

It's just frustrating that such a great sounding player is let down by poor after thought by the manufacturers. It'd have killed the competition simply by getting the basics right.

On a positive note though, the video playback genuinely surprised me. The colours are vivid, and playback is very good, even playing files that are higher resolution than the screen itself. And of course, the video sound is superb.

I honestly feel that the music quality and video playback will keep this player on top for me, but the annoying UI and OS will certainly keep my eyes open for a better alternative. Here's hoping that Teclast will release a new firmware that will address all these issues soon.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #523 of 3,682
Yea I do agree that the UI isn't at it's best, but IMO it can only get better. Search around for a program that would sort the songs for you... and then you can sort them that way... but yea it just sounds amazing.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #524 of 3,682
I just preordered one, and because of the UI I am holding reservations about this thing again. My Cowon d2 screen cracked and its unusable..so this would have to be my only player :/

Hope the UI does improve because software could always be improved...yet I have doubts that they will care enough to improve the software significantly...

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #525 of 3,682
Yeah Cowon D2 screen is too fragile. After my first cracked, I opted for a leather case cover with flap for my next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back