S:flo2 impressions thread
Jan 13, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #196 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiraku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking of velcro-ing a 2200mAh/1800mAh USB battery pack (these can be very small indeed) -> to the back if this is possible, would negate the ONLY problem I have with the S.Flo2: battery life.

Anyone? I MIGHT just cave depending to the answer to this.

Your idea above will work fine with the S:flo2.

"Charging/Data Transfer Mode" kicks in only when connected to a computer.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #197 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two different opamps in each output channel... The Headphone Output has a (will fill in later) and the direct line-out ouput has a (will fill in later) (need to confirm specs) and - can at this point confirm higher SQ (cleaner sound, less distortion, more bass, more crisp) from the direct line-out output port evewn via a 9.99 USD part. I will be lookming into getting a higher quality extewnsion cable with an inline volume attenuation wheel in the near future.

FLACvest, to give you a little help, I think you are referring to the following:

"There are two different opamps in each output channel... The Headphone Output has a NXP (Philips) TDA1308 and the direct line-out ouput has a Burr Brown OPA2604 and - can at this point confirm higher SQ (cleaner sound, less distortion, more bass, more crisp) from the direct line-out output port evewn via a 9.99 USD part. I will be lookming into getting a higher quality extewnsion cable with an inline volume attenuation wheel in the near future."

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #198 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLACvest, to give you a little help, I think you are referring to the following:

"There are two different opamps in each output channel... The Headphone Output has a NXP (Philips) TDA1308 and the direct line-out ouput has a Burr Brown OPA2604 and - can at this point confirm higher SQ (cleaner sound, less distortion, more bass, more crisp) from the direct line-out output port evewn via a 9.99 USD part. I will be lookming into getting a higher quality extewnsion cable with an inline volume attenuation wheel in the near future."

worldman: THANK YOU for the assistance, I triple checked mp4nation.net, and you are spot on! I crafted that post sitting on couch at Grandma's watching Ultimate Fighting Championships! She likes "Wrestling"... HAHA

Appreciated!!

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #199 of 3,682
I hate you all. I caved in and bought one today, i hope you are all happy, my virtual wallet is a little less heavier now. I was holding out, but your feedback and the $10 price drop pushed me over. Splurged on ems, i can't wait to listen to it. Got my fingers crossed that it gets to me by monday.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #200 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by theom4353 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate you all. I caved in and bought one today, i hope you are all happy, my virtual wallet is a little less heavier now. I was holding out, but your feedback and the $10 price drop pushed me over. Splurged on ems, i can't wait to listen to it. Got my fingers crossed that it gets to me by monday.

You will really hate us after you get it. it is too early now.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #202 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will really hate us after you get it. it is too early now.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I hope not, more like i will like you all the more
dt880smile.png

They already shipped it
beerchug.gif
so happy.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #203 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
usually line-out means bypass internal amp, but why the line-out still can use opamp???

As mentioned before, it is because WM8740 (the DAC) only outputs balanced signal (+/- left and +/- right), so you need an extra opamp to convert the balanced signal to single ended regular analog signal (left / right vs. ground) for typical headphone.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #204 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As mentioned before, it is because WM8740 (the DAC) only outputs balanced signal (+/- left and +/- right), so you need an extra opamp to convert the balanced signal to single ended regular analog signal (left / right vs. ground) for typical headphone.

I'm not technically educated, but I can't for the life of me figure why you'd need an opamp to convert a signal from balanced to se. You only need left and right channel + signal from the DAC and use the ground that you already have (for the headphone out). Or am I missing something here (as I said, I'm not technically educated)?

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #205 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not technically educated, but I can't for the life of me figure why you'd need an opamp to convert a signal from balanced to se. You only need left and right channel + signal from the DAC and use the ground that you already have (for the headphone out). Or am I missing something here (as I said, I'm not technically educated)?

I am not technically educated as well, but I do find out that if you use + signal with the ground for single end output, you will lose about 6dB of headroom from the signal due to lack of noise rejection.

Also, after reading the data sheet, I find out the in dual mono setting, WM8740 doesn't output balanced signal anymore. All 4 + and - signals in each DAC are required for creating the single left / right channel. Even if you look at single DAC configuration, you still need multiple opamps to output balanced as suggested in the default circuit design.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #206 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not technically educated as well, but I do find out that if you use + signal with the ground for single end output, you will lose about 6dB of headroom from the signal due to lack of noise rejection.

Also, after reading the data sheet, I find out the in dual mono setting, WM8940 doesn't output balanced signal anymore. All 4 + and - signals in each DAC are required for creating the single left / right channel. Even if you look at single DAC configuration, you still need multiple opamps to output balanced as suggested in the default circuit design.

the teclast t51 has two of the WM8940's in it, one for each channel, so they are both running in mono mode...

wonder if with some DIY work we could get a balanced output of this thing, using rays new connector...

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #208 of 3,682
Im gonna hold off i think ClieOS review kinda made me wanna wait till some new firmware comes out or something. Not recognizing all id3 tags or songs is just a huge pet peeve of mine so i guess ill hold off.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #209 of 3,682
Based on the 2 Wolfson Dacs, can the S:flo2 be compared against other budget DACs on the market? e.g: MF Vdac, CA Dacmagic 2, Beresford,...

I want to upgrade my *crappy" Asus Xonar U1 to a proper DAC, but for my money sake, I hope I could save a bit by using the S:flo2 instead of my Macbook as source?

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #210 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the teclast t51 has two of the WM8940's in it, one for each channel, so they are both running in mono mode...

wonder if with some DIY work we could get a balanced output of this thing, using rays new connector...

EDIT
Does this have a 8940 or a 8740 DAC? Not all Wolfson DACs are created equal, the post below is based on a 8940. The 8740 does have a balanced output, and would require an opamp to create a single ended signal.
End EDIT

If the block diagram in the 8940 datasheet is accurate, this DAC does not have a balanced output, it is single ended. If you compare it to the 8741, the 8741 does generate balanced outputs in its block diagram.

Just from looking at the 8940, it looks like it is intended to be a fairly low cost DAC, for portable devices. It is a built in amp for driving small speakers and headphones, so it makes it easy for a designer to use it, no external parts required. Not the type of DAC where they add a balanced output.

So then why the opamp. I'm guessing that they use the DAC signal labled monoout to drive both the headphone amp and the opamp for LO. The opamp is to buffer the signal. Opamp's are pretty robust, so somebody could accidentally short out the LO, and not hurt the opamp. The DAC monoout may not be so robust. Plus, the designer does not know what the LO is driving, the monoout is not intended to drive a long cable, but that's no problem for an opamp.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back