S:flo2 impressions thread
May 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,126 of 3,682
hmmm well i'm not an audiofile but am a audio enthusiast and would like great audio I guess i'll just look for flac files and dl them now that i know about that kinda thing i'll just keep the mp3 format and get them all up to 320kbs at least that'll make them alil better til i get some flac replacements.

May 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #1,127 of 3,682

Quote:
hmmm well i'm not an audiofile but am a audio enthusiast and would like great audio I guess i'll just look for flac files and dl them now that i know about that kinda thing i'll just keep the mp3 format and get them all up to 320kbs at least that'll make them alil better til i get some flac replacements.

You do know you can't upconvert mp3 to a higher bit rate right? a 192kbs mp3 up converted to 320kbs will still sound like a 192kbps mp3. you can always down covert audio but not up convert it.

May 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #1,129 of 3,682
^ Yes. If you use (for example) FLAC and convert it (for example) to 256kbps vbr mp3's if you replace the original FLAC you can never get that quality back without re-importing the CD or re-downloading it.

May 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,130 of 3,682
ah ok well thank you for not just assuming i know this lol if i knew i wouldn't ask questions, that the only way to learn now i know thank u guys well i guess i have to find a whole bunch of differant songs now though.

May 11, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #1,131 of 3,682
I'll tell you guys, this wait for the 3rd batch of sflo2 is getting quite old...  I and others have now waited close to 3 months.  While we are still waiting (and I apologize if this information is already in this thread somewhere), can those of you that have this player already please tell me what program you are using to download your flac files and how you then get them into the player?  I understand completely that firmware upgrades cannot be accomplished using Windows 7 (64 bit), but can one use programs with this system to load music into this player?  For example, can one use Windows Media Player for this purpose with the sflo2?  Thanks alot; by the way, if there is an area in this forum or elsewhere, that discusses this issue, please just feel free to direct me there.....  I am beginning to believe that the sflo2 is really becoming the "holy grail" of mp4 players; highly sought after but near impossible to obtain....

May 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #1,132 of 3,682
Quote:
Oh dear. The s:flo2 charged to full but no matter what USB port I use, or if I use the USB hub (internally powered), it comes up with a message saying the player is exceeding the ports power limit. I suspect that this is the fault of using an older laptop and a crappy USB hub, so I guess I will try it with my dad or sisters computer, then if it works (which I presume it will), I'll have to go out and buy an externally powered USB hub, which I was going to do anyway. Grrrr, annoying!

Didn't you have the USB adapter? S:flo2 sucks up almost 1.5A of power when charging so typical self powered USB won't be able to charge it adequately as they are at most 500mA and usually only goes as high as 250mA (which is 1/6 of what is needed).

May 11, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #1,133 of 3,682

Quote:
I'll tell you guys, this wait for the 3rd batch of sflo2 is getting quite old...  I and others have now waited close to 3 months.  While we are still waiting (and I apologize if this information is already in this thread somewhere), can those of you that have this player already please tell me what program you are using to download your flac files and how you then get them into the player?  I understand completely that firmware upgrades cannot be accomplished using Windows 7 (64 bit), but can one use programs with this system to load music into this player?  For example, can one use Windows Media Player for this purpose with the sflo2?  Thanks alot; by the way, if there is an area in this forum or elsewhere, that discusses this issue, please just feel free to direct me there.....  I am beginning to believe that the sflo2 is really becoming the "holy grail" of mp4 players; highly sought after but near impossible to obtain....

Loading files to the SFLO:2 is completely drag and drop,when you plug it in to your pc it shows up as an external drive, if you have a micro sd card in it then 2 external drives show up. There is no need for another program to load files onto it.

May 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #1,134 of 3,682
Swanlee,

Thanks for the info.  I understand completely what you are telling me, but please allow me to ask the question in another way.  Suppose you have Windows Media Player as your music library on your PC.  Will the sflo2 be recognized like the Sansa clip is?  In other words, will the sflo2 show up in the list of devices and then you can sync music into it this way?  Thanks again....

May 12, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #1,135 of 3,682
So would you all consider the S:Flo2->ALO mini-mini->amp of choice, the newest batch if anyone has gotten theirs yet...., better than a RWA iMod->ALO LOD->VCap->amp of choice?  I have heard that the S:Flo2 is lacking in the bass category but since it is so cheap I was thinking of giving it a shot.

May 12, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #1,136 of 3,682

Quote:
A little off-topic, but is there a place to get single tracks in FLAC quality? If I plan on buying an album, I just get the CD and rip to FLAC or ALAC, but there are several instances where I just want a song or two from an album...at that point, it seems like iTunes or Amazon MP3 are my only legal options, though they are never higher than 256kbps...

I use the website HDtracks to downlaod single FLAC files, but note they mostly focus on classical and jazz so you might not find what you're looking for there. I can't wait until iTunes/Amazon gets up to 320kbps - probably several years away but you can't beat their selection.

On the topic of FLAC, I'm curious if any of you have ever done a BLIND test to see if you can tell the difference between 320 kbps and lossless. The key being that you have no idea which format you're listening to, so expectations can't factor in. I set this up with a randomized playlist (diff versions of same songs, of course). I really couldn't tell the difference, but I was using an iPod at the time so maybe some of you with better sources can tell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back