S:flo2 impressions thread
May 10, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #1,111 of 3,682
Swanlee,

Now that you've spent more time with the v2.1, do you still find that the humming noise is no longer present, compared to v2.0?  If this appears to be a real improvement, then the upgrade may well be worth it.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

May 11, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #1,113 of 3,682
I have the 2 GB version and imo the battery life is at around 12 hours (I play 100% flac), I actually forgot the player was on a few times and left the player on for the whole day and it's still at half power, I usually take a few long naps during the week while listening to it and I still only charge the player once or twice a week. I was wondering if the 2 GB memory chips use less power or it's just me

May 11, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #1,114 of 3,682
12 hours for 100% Flac is very good battery life. The best I heard is 8hours for the 8GB version for 100% flac. It is verly likely that the 2GB flash memory uses less power.

Besides the main flash memory, there is a 256MB buffer chip mainly for 720p video playing. I wonder if the battery live would be better if smaller flac files for individual track are used and the whole files can be fit in the 256MB memory chip.

May 11, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,115 of 3,682
Latest V2.1.1 (mob by user) firmware found in the Teclast Chinese forum: 

http://u.115.com/file/f18a32ac3f

1. Improved song selection response
2. Improved Chinese fonts support
3. Improved Video format support
4. Disable TTS by default in eBook function

Issue: firmware version will show V1.12 after flashing.

People in the Chinese Teclast forum are saying it is the best firmware yet

May 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #1,116 of 3,682
I'm going to attempt the update later (the theme Swanlee posted looked nice), however my first hurdle will be... getting the computer to recognise it!

I plugged it in the side USB port of my laptop and it appeared briefly as new hardware, but then I got a message about power-levels being too great and it disappeared from the Device Manager. It's on the charging screen (when I press the button) though, so I might as well wait till it's finished then try both the back USB ports and my USB hub, as I'm sure I read this can be iffy about where you plug it in. I'm on XP, although this is an old laptop.

May 11, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #1,117 of 3,682

Quote:
almost 1000 songs lol sounds good to me but i may get a 32gb micro later i'll see the price when it goes down and see lol. does the soundstage really shine whith flac rather than 320 mp3 with 3d on?.

I do not listen  to mp3's so I can't give you a good comparison I only listen to lossless audio. With flac though the soundstage is pretty awesome.

May 11, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #1,118 of 3,682

Quote:
Swanlee,

Now that you've spent more time with the v2.1, do you still find that the humming noise is no longer present, compared to v2.0?  If this appears to be a real improvement, then the upgrade may well be worth it.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

After more time it seems improved as in I notice it less but I can't quite say that it has been eliminated or that it was an intentional fix.

May 11, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #1,119 of 3,682

Quote:
for real damn lol I'll see how much flac can be stored on the 32gbs and make a decision then, I still have to got through my mp3s and change them to flac ugh it'll take so much time but worth it to have great sound.

I hope you don't mean converting those MP3s to FLAC because that won't yield you any results. The sound is going to stay the same and the size is just going to get bigger. Once you go Lossy, you can't go back. 

May 11, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #1,120 of 3,682
Oh dear. The s:flo2 charged to full but no matter what USB port I use, or if I use the USB hub (internally powered), it comes up with a message saying the player is exceeding the ports power limit. I suspect that this is the fault of using an older laptop and a crappy USB hub, so I guess I will try it with my dad or sisters computer, then if it works (which I presume it will), I'll have to go out and buy an externally powered USB hub, which I was going to do anyway. Grrrr, annoying!

May 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,122 of 3,682
is that true? that converting mp3 to flac won't yeild any results?. If so then i shouldn't of upgraded to the 16gb one huh lol so what would i do to get the mp3 to flac to yelid results like decode them to wav then to flac?.

May 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #1,123 of 3,682
^
Any lossy to lossless conversion does absolutely nothing expect waste space. Lossy and in your case the mp3 format has already lost some data compared to the original lossless file. You can't get it back no matter how hard you try but you can rip it from a CD to get flac.

May 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #1,124 of 3,682

Quote:
is that true? that converting mp3 to flac won't yeild any results?. If so then i shouldn't of upgraded to the 16gb one huh lol so what would i do to get the mp3 to flac to yelid results like decode them to wav then to flac?.

Once it is lossy encoded you can never get the quality back. You will either have to re rip your cd's into a lossless codec or find lossless files for your music. You cannot just re encode your mp3's to .flac or .wav etc as they will sound the same as your mp3's.

The best thing to do is always build your music collection in pure lossless formats then you can down encode lossle to any other format you want like mp3 for portable  use while keeping your original lossless files for archival  purposes.

May 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #1,125 of 3,682
A little off-topic, but is there a place to get single tracks in FLAC quality? If I plan on buying an album, I just get the CD and rip to FLAC or ALAC, but there are several instances where I just want a song or two from an album...at that point, it seems like iTunes or Amazon MP3 are my only legal options, though they are never higher than 256kbps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back