RSA The Shadow - smaller than P-51
Jun 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #92 of 144
The whole point of this design is to eliminate the potentiometer and knob entirely. Not doing so would make the design much thicker (think Tomahawk compared to Shadow).

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #93 of 144
I can't speak to the goal, but you can do thinner, still have the benefits of the DVC, and still have a knob. The knob is just an esthetic choice. It's a lot easier to tell what the volume will be by feel or a quick glance with a knob, for example.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #94 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak to the goal, but you can do thinner, still have the benefits of the DVC, and still have a knob. The knob is just an esthetic choice. It's a lot easier to tell what the volume will be by feel or a quick glance with a knob, for example.

I agree - I want to know where the volume level is set at before I plug in my phones, or to easily and quickly set it to zero or another level if needed. If I am doing a review, sometimes I will have to jump the volume knob from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock and then back again as I switch between headphones. I am not clear on how the Shadow's volume can do that - do you press and hold to jump to zero, how many dB does it change with each click, etc.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #96 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not suggest to Ray that the amp set the volume to zero when turned off?

That's not in my my job description.
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #97 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The whole point of this design is to eliminate the potentiometer and knob entirely. Not doing so would make the design much thicker (think Tomahawk compared to Shadow).

I know. I think there is no need to combine physical knob/dial with analog potentiometer.
In my opinion, physical knob/dial and rotary encoder and digital volume controller may be another answer.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #98 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not in my my job description.
tongue.gif

Or above your pay grade??
icon10.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #99 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or above your pay grade??
icon10.gif

Absolutely.
tongue.gif

Actually, I have made suggestions to manufacturers before (Ray, Justin, Jack Woo, Eddie Current), but it didn't occur to me at the time I was playing with it.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #100 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree - I want to know where the volume level is set at before I plug in my phones, or to easily and quickly set it to zero or another level if needed. If I am doing a review, sometimes I will have to jump the volume knob from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock and then back again as I switch between headphones. I am not clear on how the Shadow's volume can do that - do you press and hold to jump to zero, how many dB does it change with each click, etc.

The Placette Audio passive remote control uses a toggle switch to actuate resistor combinations providing 126 volume steps, no rotary dial needed. However, I'm not sure how it tells you what the setting is. A visual clue about the current volume setting would be nice.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #104 of 144
We are Head-fiers. But we are also humans. We are fragile creatures. Therefore we need to make sure what we do is safe to do, and if it isn't safe, we need to know how to reduce risk. Our five senses help us live our lives. They are very valuable to us. As a head-fier our hearing is important to us.

I am happy that the Shadow lowers its volume when it is turned off and turn back on again. It protects our hearing.

I'm also a lazy person who likes things to work without doing much. Like how pressing "Play" on my iPod Touch just plays the music I want after I turn it back on from standby mode. No adjusting needed. No need to fiddle around with it. This is important to me and it is my portable media player, for on-the-go purposes. So much convenience at a push of a button. I don't even need to worry about the volume since I can see the iPod's volume control and I know it's already safe
biggrin.gif
What I also like about the iPod Touch is it's so easy to change headphones on them without even turning it off. Most of the time I forget to lower the volume on my iPod when switching headphones, but that's okay, I set a volume limit on it so my hearing won't get damaged anyways
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #105 of 144
I normally turn my volume all the way down when starting up so it is nice the Shadow starts off with it on low or no volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back