RSA The Shadow - smaller than P-51
May 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #76 of 144
Canjam pics anyone? Pretty Please?

May 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #77 of 144
Sadly I wasn't able to visit RSA @ CanJam today, but I saw several other vendors with the P51, and the pictures on this board make it seem DECIEVINGLY large. I'd say its slightly fatter than a tick tack container. If thats what the P51 is, the shadow is probably the size of a tick tack container. But yeah, please, pictures someone!

May 31, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #78 of 144
Mmm that looks so small, probably smaller than T4.
But, I would have much preferred to have the input and output on the same side.
I really hope Ray makes some changes to it.

May 31, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #79 of 144
Didn't have the case on the Shadow at Can Jam, so just the board with a battery strapped to it. It was very small, about 1.5 times the length of an E5, similar width, and maybe thinner (since the E5 has a clip).

Sounded awesome with my IE8s, took them to another level! Amazing size/performance ratio! Sounded similar to the Tomahawk. The volume control worked very well and had good resolution. I could move it one step at a time with the rocker control, or hold it down for large volume changes.

May 31, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #80 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by markh78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm that looks so small, probably smaller than T4.
But, I would have much preferred to have the input and output on the same side.
I really hope Ray makes some changes to it.

Is there room on the front for the input?

May 31, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #81 of 144
I'm pretty sure the input was on the back and the output on the front. It was about the size of a pack of matches without a case. Very cute, but, IMO, it didn't hold a candle to the hornet. It might have been tomahawk sounding, but I'm not a fan of the tomahawk either. But once again, the Hornet and SR71 are just beautiful things to hear. For mating with portable gear (e.g. ipod), I think Ray Samuels' amps are a smarter solution and a better-sounding match than tube amps. Oh, I also heard my first Pico today. Well, it was okay, but I don't know what all the hollering was about. Again, RSA stuff is cream of the crop to me.

May 31, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #82 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure the input was on the back and the output on the front. It was about the size of a pack of matches without a case. Very cute, but, IMO, it didn't hold a candle to the hornet. It might have been tomahawk sounding, but I'm not a fan of the tomahawk either. But once again, the Hornet and SR71 are just beautiful things to hear. For mating with portable gear (e.g. ipod), I think Ray Samuels' amps are a smarter solution and a better-sounding match than tube amps. Oh, I also heard my first Pico today. Well, it was okay, but I don't know what all the hollering was about. Again, RSA stuff is cream of the crop to me.

Did you use a Pico w/DAC or just the amp section?

I guess the Shadow can only drive IEMs or very easy cans??? I've become an RSA owner lately and I'm enjoying the varied sound sig...P-51 is very detailed but still can't drive my HD 650, Pico did a much better job. With the SR-71A I'm finding plenty of power for HD 650 but have never heard the Hornet.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #85 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you use a Pico w/DAC or just the amp section?

I guess the Shadow can only drive IEMs or very easy cans??? I've become an RSA owner lately and I'm enjoying the varied sound sig...P-51 is very detailed but still can't drive my HD 650, Pico did a much better job. With the SR-71A I'm finding plenty of power for HD 650 but have never heard the Hornet.

Apparently it was a new, tiny Pico being introduced, so that might explain my disappointment.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #86 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to a Shadow vs. Pico Slim type comparo.. The digital volume control is KEY!

I'm looking forward to that comparison as well.
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #87 of 144
I honestly dont see the point of having them so small when the things they are being strapped to are larger. anything smaller than a pico; I dont really get it. and with input/output on opposite sides the interconnect will take up the rest of the space saved. I guess the main reason I think this is because i've never been a fan of how the nano sounds; even with a good amp, pretty blah IMO.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #90 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by DPRJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like up/down switch for volume control.
All one can say is "WE NEED KNOB!"

I think you will have to choose.
Slim size or "real" volume knob, as a thin amplifier like this one probably don't have space for a regular potentiometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back