RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68, UPDATED 4/2013 for Improved sound.
Jan 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #571 of 1,194
The SR-71B in fully single-ended mode sounded absolutely sublime with my JH13's. Perhaps the best I've heard them since Jude's Protector (in balanced mode).

I'm very eagerly awaiting the cables from Whiplash that I need to listen in fully balanced mode with my JH13 and LCD-2.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #572 of 1,194
I look forward to your impression with the Twag cable. The amp section of the 71B, in SE, is much like the SR71, 71a, which are excellent portables. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #573 of 1,194

Quote:
I look forward to your impression with the Twag cable. The amp section of the 71B, in SE, is much like the SR71, 71a, which are excellent portables. 

You speaking to me here? Craig (Whiplash Audio) is just now shipping my TWag back to me (along with some other cables) which will be terminated for the balanced output when I receive it, so such a comparison will be apples to oranges, unfortunately.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #574 of 1,194
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the SE-output of the 71b is good, and is roughly equivalent to that of the 71a, which I understand to be Ray's best portable IEM amp for SE use.  I haven't even tried the SE output of the 71b yet, but I will when my LCD-2s arrive tomorrow.

I remember the SE output of the Protector sounding a bit grainy and congested with IEMs, although I never really gave it much time.  The balanced output was so satisfying that I didn't want to hear anything less, and all of my headphones were balanced.

So far, I'm finding the 71b to be excellent with my JH16s in balanced output/SE input mode.  The only balanced source I have is my Lavry DA10, and I'm not yet convinced that my Edition 8s sound much better through the 71b in balanced mode, as compared to just using the headphone amp of the DA10.  The 71b makes the Ed. 8s sound a bit more distant than the DA10's headphone amp.  The bass may be a bit more refined and the soundstage slightly larger with the 71b, but so far I prefer the more immediate, lively sound of the DA10's amp.

I'll need to listen more to confirm this, and to see if I have the same preference with the LCD-2 and JH16.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #575 of 1,194
Congrats DJ Nellie on the LCD2! Just want ask how big of a difference does the Ed8 sound balanced and SE on the SR71B? I have an Ed8 and still contemplating on having it balanced and getting the SR71B. If the balanced route does not really provide significant improvement especially to the forward highs, then I would go with Skylab's recommendation that I just stick with the Stepdance for the Ed8 on single ended.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #576 of 1,194
I was listening all last night to the 71B and the JH13's. Most was classical and the separation and presentation was terrific. The imaging was better than I remember. When I focussed on an instrument I could hear its placement very clearly due to the natural layering of the sound. A very enjoyable experience. Oh, and the choral of Beethoven's Ninth was superb. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #577 of 1,194
@jamato, that was balanced, I presume?

I should be getting the cables I need tomorrow for fully balanced listening with the JH13 and LCD-2 !

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #578 of 1,194

Quote:
@jamato, that was balanced, I presume?

I should be getting the cables I need tomorrow for fully balanced listening with the JH13 and LCD-2 !

Yes balanced with the Twag on the JH13's. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #579 of 1,194
Wow.

I'm finally listening to my JH13's fully balanced:

USB into PSAudio DLIII -> 3' Whiplash TWag V2 -> RSA SR-71B -> 64" Whiplash TWag V2 -> JH13

Really excellent sound here. The detail tightened up a bit vs single ended. It's like there's suddenly more to hear. Trebles are VERY clean & articulate. Bass is awesome. I think we have a winner.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #580 of 1,194
Quote:
Congrats DJ Nellie on the LCD2! Just want ask how big of a difference does the Ed8 sound balanced and SE on the SR71B? I have an Ed8 and still contemplating on having it balanced and getting the SR71B. If the balanced route does not really provide significant improvement especially to the forward highs, then I would go with Skylab's recommendation that I just stick with the Stepdance for the Ed8 on single ended.

Well, comparing my Ed. 8s from the headphone out of my HM-801 (v.2 amp card with a Protector-to-mini adapter) and from the balanced output of the SR71b, there is a very obvious difference in clarity, bass definition, and midrange forwardness.  I'll have to focus on the treble next time to offer an opinion about the differences there. 

Basically, the 71b gives the Ed. 8s a much cleaner and yet bigger sound, which didn't surprise me much, since I've noticed basically these same improvements with my JH16 and D2000 when I balanced them and amped them with the Protector.  The only problem is that the Ed. 8s don't have a user-replaceable cable, but I don't think this is a big issue since you can use a small adapter for either mini or stereo plug use.  And if you get them recabled by an authorized dealer (Whiplash and Moon Audio are the ones I know of), Ultrasone USA has told me that your warranty will still be good.

The question I'm facing now is whether to get a SR71b cable for my LCD-2s or a SE desktop amp.  Unlike my Ed. 8s, I don't plan to take my LCD-2s on trips, so I wouldn't really be able to take advantage of any synergy with the HM-801 and 71b.  I would mostly use the LCD-2s amped by the 71b and fed from the balanced XLR outputs of my Lavry.  But, as I noted earlier, this source/amp combo doesn't quite sound right with my Ed. 8s, and I'm not sure if it's a mismatch between the 71b and the DA10, or just that the DA10's XLR balanced outputs aren't really meant to feed headphone amps.  If it's the latter, then maybe no amp (SE or balanced) would sound that good from the DA10's XLR outputs.

As a portable, though, the 71b is continuing to amaze me.  I no longer have the Protector to compare directly, but I feel like the 71b has an extra sliver of refinement--although they're probably very close.  One unexpected plus of the 71b:  The separate left-right gain feature allows me to make up for the poor fit of my JH16s on the right side.  This is far from an ideal fix, but the fact that the channels now sound balanced to me (with the right gain on medium and the left on low) has shown me just how muffled and distant the sound on my right side has been.  Or could it be the drivers?  Either way, I plan to get them remade into JH3As in the next few months to hopefully fix this problem, but in the meantime the 71b is giving me a nice interim solution. 

I'm finally hearing the JH16s in all their balanced and lush glory, and it's like I've been missing out on half of the details, the information, the excitement.  I was even thinking about getting another pair of custom IEMs, maybe the UERM or the ES5, but hearing how the JH16s sound with balanced channels and reading Playback's comparisons (like here) has given me assurance that I have some pretty damn sick headphones already.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #581 of 1,194
I find the LCD-2 balanced to the 71B sound great. The music freely flows. There is plenty of volume and headroom (no compression of dynamics). 

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #582 of 1,194
What's your source, jamato?  I'm sure balanced LCD-2s would sound awesome amped by the 71b and fed by the HM-801, but I'm worried that my desktop DAC (Lavry DA10) may not be a good match. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #583 of 1,194
dj nellie,

You mentioned  that you can use a small adapter for balanced to either mini or stereo plug use. Do you know where can I get it? I want to be able to use JH16 with balanced TWAg cable directly with my iPhone when I have no space to carry 71B with me. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #584 of 1,194
Most cable makers who have the Protector plug can make the adapter for you.  Moon Audio and Whiplash Audio are the two I'm most familiar with, and who for sure have the Protector plug in stock.  Check their websites for their contact info.  They have various materials to use, if you don't want to pay for their top-tier cables (I believe Silver Dragon for Moon and TWag for Whiplash).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back