RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
May 16, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #1,126 of 1,220
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Shadow as I'm moving away from IEMs and am trying to match a nice amp with the Ed8s. The Shadow drives the Ed8s pretty well, but I find them losing out in terms of resolution when compared to the iQube. Not sure if its because they really are meant more for IEMs.

I've considered the SR-71 series too, but am turned off by the 9v battery required in the original and the A. Not interested in going balanced thus not looking at the B. 

I'm looking at the Mustang as I've always found them to have the nicest Mids when I was using my TF10s, although I did eventually go for the Shadow for various reasons... Now, can anyone who has listened to the Mustang using a pair of high-definition headphones advise me if the Mustangs would drive something like the Ed8 with clarity and resolution (no I'm not talking about power... the Ed8s are easily driven out of the iPod's headphone jack... but sound thin even though volume is there).

Appreciate the help! :)

May 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,127 of 1,220
I wish I had the Ed. 8, maybe some day and I would give you my opinion on the combination. On the 71a I find the rechargeable batteries I use to last many hours before they need to be recharged but I understand if you want an internal rechargeable. 

The Mustang does very fine job also. It works well with my Ed. 9 driving them with fine response for the full range of frequencies. 

May 16, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #1,128 of 1,220
I would try the Pico Slim.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,129 of 1,220
Has anyone got the P61 with a Sony Z1000 which should be fine for the P61 to drive as it is an efficient 24ohms can. 

Just wandering if someone who does have the Z1000 can clarify this and how it sounds together. 

Also have JH16pros to use with the P51 which I am sure will be a good match SQ wise.
Source is currently a Sony X1060 which is a warm SQ for a digital amp and listen to most genres so not pigeon holed on Sig. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #1,132 of 1,220

Quote:
Does anyone know how the p51 sounds with the ultrasone pro 900s? I am hoping that it would improve the midrange on the 900s, but I've never seen anyone explicitly make that claim.

Well, the P-51 has excellent mids, but whether it can improve a Pro 900 is another story. 
tongue_smile.gif

What do you specifically want to hear improve in the Pro 900 mids that you think an amp can help with?

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,133 of 1,220
Would you guys say the P.51 is a good fit for the Ety ER4s?

Also when I try to vist rays site it's seems to be down.

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,134 of 1,220
I've found that when listening with the pro 900s the bass overpowers the mid sections too much. So I end up having to turn up to near full volume to hear everything, and this results in fatigue too quickly. I have hd650s and I can listen to those bad boys for hours.

Maybe the ultrasone sound signature will never mesh with my tastes, and I will have to end up getting another pair of closed cans to listen to while at work and the library.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,135 of 1,220

Quote:
Would you guys say the P.51 is a good fit for the Ety ER4s?
Also when I try to vist rays site it's seems to be down.

I use the ER-4S + P-51 as my main travel rig. I think it sounds great and the P-51 breathes a lot of air into the ER-4S. The gain is in Medium with the ER-4S. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,136 of 1,220
received mine from RSA in 4 days after payment, charging now and looking forward to pre/post burn in impressions!

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,137 of 1,220
Excellent amp and has traveled all of the world with me. 

May 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,138 of 1,220
Excellent amp and has traveled all of the world with me. 

X2 - except for Antarctica and South America I have brought it to all continents. Perfect for ultra light packing with IEMs and with long battery life I never have to worry about bringing a charger or extra batteries.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #1,139 of 1,220
How well RSA stacks up against ALO?
I have a RSA Mustang and I have to say that it was the most worthy $390 I had ever spent lol. The thing is that I am looking to upgrade my portable gears. Right now I have my Ipod Classic with the Mustang and Copper ALO Ipod LOD. I am wanting to get a full set of DAC & AMP for my Ipod, should I just get a ALO DAC to go with my Mustang? Or...is it really worth getting a DAC for Ipod anyway?

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/AlgoRhythm-Solo-Ray-Samuels-P51-ALO-Audio-cable-combo vs http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/AlgoRhythm-Solo-Continental-V2-tube-ALO-Audio-cable-combo-1 ????

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,140 of 1,220
I personally LOVE the p51 with my pro 900s.  And strangely, after extensive burn in I don't find the mids of the 900 to be that underwhelming.  I actually feel like the frequency response has become a solid amount flatter now that I'm closing in on about 400 hours.  I did find the mids underwhelming before, but not any longer.  

Something I've noticed about the p-51 is that it seems to sound much better when plugged into the charger, but after about 10-15 hours of charge-less listening it isn't AS good.  This seems strange to me considering it is intended to be portable, and I haven't read anything similar to this before.  Does anyone else notice this? I very rarely get even close to  emptying the battery completely because I end up plugging it in for the improved sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back