RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Dec 20, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #497 of 1,220
OK, I couldn't take the wanting any longer; thanks to SierraHotel01's praise egging me on. Placed order for 'Stang black w/ red ends and gold (brass?) knob, and also placed order to ALO for cryo 18G SXC. Hopefully with this combo there will be no necessary upgrades for awhile. I am still interested in LilKnights LOD, it looks so cool and also probably sounds great. Mebbe later.

Anyway, the ordered combo should be sweet with W3s and Touch.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #498 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep wondering how much of this burn-in effect is real, in the hardware itself.

And, how much is "user-brain burn-in".

Maybe it doesn't really matter. (I suspect it's both)

I'm sure our ears do adjust as things go along, but there is no question here that things are changing quite a bit (I'm surprised it's as extreme as it is). That's a good thing, because quite honestly, when I first received it, it sounded awful. It was a clear step backwards from without it. It's been running since I got it yesterday, and the sound has tightened up quite a bit, although the frequency balance could use some smoothing out (it's a bit "lumpy"). I've also noticed while I was listening yesterday and last night, that certain frequencies would either be over accentuated or swallowed up for a while (causing the "lumpiness"). This was easily verified by swapping my headphones from the P-51 to the hp jack on my Firewire 410. I just checked right now, and the high frequencies are a bit muted compared to the source (big difference in ride cymbal overtones). There were times last night when it was the exact opposite and I was hearing overtones I didn't even know were there...

Anyway, it's kind of cool to hear the changes and I look forward to the final result!. It's an impressive little matchbox!

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #499 of 1,220
I have a unit with the black body and gold/brass volume control and it is pure class. I love the dark red Ray has gone to. Against the black it is pure cool.

Dec 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #500 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying my 300h P51 with the Edition 9. Sounds damn good!

Indeed
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #502 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidtripwow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What LOD are people using with this amp? I have an ALO Cryo and the 1/8" connector is rubbing up against the volume knob.

Are others having an issue with ALO fit? I'm getting the SXC 18G. Should I be concerned? I mean being close on something so tiny is fine, but rubbing would not be good.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #504 of 1,220
Quote:

As I said before, any LOD using Switchcraft will have little trouble with the Mustang. It's so tiny that the plug will become huge.

Thanks, LilKnight. I missed that detail. I assume from reading your earlier post and rereading this one that it WILL have a little trouble with the knob as opposed to having little (as in no) trouble.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #506 of 1,220
Quote:

It will work fine though, just a little difficult to adjust the volume
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed, the LOD you made me fits but barely. I don't think it is an issue causing the Switchcraft to not be usable with the Mustang in anyway.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #507 of 1,220
LODLevel Of Detail
LODLord of Destruction (Diablo 2 game expansion)
LODLimit Of Detection
LODLine Of Duty
LODLegion Of Doom
LODLegacy of Darkness (game)
LODLegend of Dragoon (Sony role playing game)
LODLength of Day
LODLaid-Off Dad
LODLine of Dance (counter-clockwise movement)
LODLetter of Destruction
LODLevel of Detection
LODLoss on Drying (water and volatile substances lost from a sample when dried)
LODLoss-On-Drying
LODLive or Die (gaming clan)
LODLoss Of Data
LoDLords of Darkness (gaming)
LODLine Of Departure
LODLog of Odds (genetic linkage score)
LODLength On Deck
LODLords of Death (gaming clan)
LODLarge Organic Debris
LODLines of Development
LODLetter Of Direction
LODLoad on Demand
LODLand of Devastation (BBS role-playing game)
LODLow of Day (stock markets)
LODLaparoscopic Ovarian Drilling
LODlateral overflow drain
LODLaunch on Demand
LODLetter Of Delegation
LODLeader-On-Duty (Target stores employee title)
LODLetter of Demand (of Payment)
LODLimit Of Disturbance
LODLaunch Operations Directorate
LODLine Out Dock
LODLëtzebuerger Online Dictionnaire
LODLoss of Down (football)
LODLeadership and Organizational Development
LODLeading-One Detector
LODLease Outline Drawings
LODList of Drawings
LODLife Over Death (band)
LODLocally Optimum Detector
LODLow Overhead Driver
LODLandlord Outline Drawing
LODLast Opportunity Doctrine
LODLease Option Document
LODLetter of Diagnosis
LODLinear Optimal Distribution
LODLines of Drift
LODLoad File

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #508 of 1,220
Using ALO SXC 18g and Apuresound Ety4 mod with Switchcraft plug. No problems with Mustang but somewhat of a problemwith Reference since volume knob is in the middle of the two connectors. Still, everything fits and works perfectly

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #509 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using ALO SXC 18g and Apuresound Ety4 mod with Switchcraft plug. No problems with Mustang but somewhat of a problem with Reference since volume knob is in the middle of the two connectors. Still, everything fits and works perfectly

Thanks, then I will probably stick with it.

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #510 of 1,220
I use Switchcraft and my own devised mini and they all fit fine. I don't have any real problem with adjusting the volume. It isn't as if the connector rubs the volume control as it is 2mm or so away.

I am not sure why ALO saves the gold plated Switchcraft for the 18g like it is a more expensive mini. The cost difference is about one dollar and I would prefer to never have nickel in the audio path and nickel is used in the dollar cheaper mini of Switchcraft. I use the gold and copper mini, when I use Switchcraft, there is no reason not to.

51-with-IC-2.jpg

P-51 with iRiver H140 and my hyper pure silver mini to mini IC

51-with-ICs.jpg

Different IC's I have made for portable use. Switchcraft minis and my own converted minis with hyper pure dead soft silver and teflon tubingI don't know who took this image but they could have used more depth of field! oh it was me. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back