RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Dec 4, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #196 of 1,220
Hi,

I have a question. Which gain setting do you burn them in at? Do you have to switch between the different gain settings throughout the process to get it even? I'm not sure how I should go about with mine after I get them.

Regards.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #197 of 1,220
W00t! My Mustang just arrived. I was in no way prepared for just how small it is. What a gorgeous piece of engineering. Starting the burn-in now.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #198 of 1,220
Images! I enjoy seeing what people are getting. Any colors?

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #199 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by palestofwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have a question. Which gain setting do you burn them in at? Do you have to switch between the different gain settings throughout the process to get it even? I'm not sure how I should go about with mine after I get them.

Regards.

I have the same question. What is the optimal (and fastest) way to burn in this amp? Does the gain setting make any difference; how far do I have to turn the volume up?

I've also heard that IEMs are not the best choice to burn in an amp with. Is that true?

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #200 of 1,220
Well if you want to draw more current through the amp then headphones that are harder to drive would be it. More current should equate to a faster forming period. Switch the gain if you want but that is just a small part of the circuit. Everything else is in the electrical and signal path and being used. I would also cycle the battery a couple of times to form it.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #201 of 1,220
Crappy pics, but w/e

Serial #1, Northwestern Edition

1.jpg

9-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #203 of 1,220
The more you listen to the P-51 the more you will appreciate it. I have also found, as noted earlier, that the forming period is longer than I thought but that the amp starts off great (after a few hours).

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #204 of 1,220
I have about three hours into mine with my Westone 3s, sourced off an iPhone 3G and ALO Cryo SXC 22G LOD cable. The Mustang sounds better than I expected right out of the box. In the last few minutes, I have re-listened to stuff I tried about three hours ago. For example, listening to the Verdi Requiem [Messa Da Requiem: Dies Irae: Tuba Mirum] by Richard Hickox & the LSO [iTunes Plus]--and yes, I prefer the Solti/Vienna version, but I do not have as high a quality of source on that--I perceive a greater sense of openness around the horns, more of a fullness that is distinct from the hall acoustics. I am really looking forward to how this little amp develops over the next few days.

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #205 of 1,220
jamato, I'm really looking forward for a P-51/SR-71A comparison. Please, don't let me down
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #207 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm patiently waiting for reviews (from certain members) to see if this amp surpasses his other amps and is able to justify its price tag. Unlike the Hornet and the Tomahawk.

If you don't think it justifies, then pass it and buy another one. Stop moaning about its worth or not.
What happen if the reviewers rave it? Will you buy?

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #208 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't think it justifies, then pass it and buy another one. Stop moaning about its worth or not.
What happen if the reviewers rave it? Will you buy?

Pass and buy another one? That's what I've been doing all along.
And to the bolded text.
If one keeps criticizing, improvements will be made. That's progression.
beerchug.gif

If the reviewers rave it, I might buy it but most likely not. It's not portable. But if I do, it will be for a second hand price of course.

I do not support products which fail to justify their prices unless they are the only options available.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #209 of 1,220
If you had ever owned a Tomahawk, and used it for a long period, you would know it is one of the only "portable" amps that is truly worth it's cost. The Hornet, yeah, just a nice amp, but the T-hawk is outstanding.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #210 of 1,220
Keep in mind that the equipment used in testing is both portable and home.

Sources: iPod Touch, Zhaolu 2.5 w/ passive output stage *no op-amps* (Auzen Cinema>Toslink, Marantz CD5001>Coaxial)

Pre-amp: Yamaha CA-600 pre-amp outs *used only when doing the home setup - killer pre-amp outputs*

Cables: iPod - ((UPOCC solid/stranded copper + UPOCC solid silver, 6 wire) , (greater than 7/9 purity copper in micro porous teflon with a unique structure, 6 wires), and (UPOCC silver, 5 strands)). RCA - UPOCC silver in cotton + Tefon tube and UPOCC copper in Teflon

Headphones: Modded and silver/copper recabled (6 wire) ESW9 (see sig), Modded and recabled UPOCC copper (6 wire) CD1000,
and silver/copper (w/rhodium plated copper pins) recabled (4 wire) FreQShow

If you don't think that the Pico, Move series, and maybe the iQube are not worth the price, then you should look elsewhere because portables are not for you. I can say that the clarity and control it delivers for the price of a home amp is about what you would expect and IMO more (granted tried 32ohm headphones or lower). The fact that it is portable, long battery life, and tiny to boot to me represents a true value.

If you are looking for a comparison with the Pico....they are two different sound signatures. Pico is a lush sound while the P-51 is a bit punchier. The advantage to me is that the P-51 has more clarity (distinctly), more extension on the top and bottom, and control while the Pico has a bit more soundstage and better imaging overall. At least to my ears...the Pico sounds more relaxed and about nuance while the P-51 is about clarity and control. The Pico can make a bad recording/lower bitrate listenable and the P-51 can make it sound worse/reveal the badness. *Please keep in mind that this is based on previous experience with the amp and currently having both on hand.*

Fortunately, I have been able to try out many of the top portable amps out there (sans the Larocco) and this one replaced the Pico as my personal favorite. Please also note that I have not been a big fan of the RSA sound signature found in his other portable amps as they all seemed colored and darker than I cared for.

As far as synergy(I hate that buzzword, but w/e) goes, I am hearing amazing synergy between the ESW9 (modded and recabled - see sig) and the modded CD1000 - both were expected as I had tried regular ESW9 and my modded CD1000 with the P-51 before. Is it replacing my SSMH design based amplifier? Nope. (Granted that my particular amp represents hours of work and ~$225 in raw parts before shipping. Plus it has been specifically tuned for the CD1000). One is tube hybrid and one is SS. In this way, they are definitely compliments to each other. Though if for some tragic reason I was forced to sell my tube amp, I definitely could live with the Mustang for a while.

Right now, I am dying to open this thing up out of personal curiosity. If someone tells me that it won't void the warranty, I am totally taking a look. Ray can post pics if he wants to

YMMV and this is IMO with the ~31Hours of Burn-in thus far. IT IS NOT A REVIEW!!!! just a little opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back