RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Nov 27, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #181 of 1,220
I have driven my phones to louder that I would, could ever listen to them to see if I could get distortion from the amp clipping but it would not.

The amp is extremely enjoyable and rewarding to use.

I am finding that with jazz this amp really shines. There is a beautiful body to the sound, a fullness and texture. Cymbals, as I may have mentioned, have the right sheen and brassy sound. For me, jazz is one of the hardest forms of music for electronics to capture and the 51 does right.

Nov 27, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #182 of 1,220
Thanks for all the great information on this tiny little marvel.It has been very helpful making my decision which one to purchase as my first headphone amp.
At first, I was considering a Meir 2Move or RSA Tomahawk,and I'm sure I would be happy with either, then I read about the RSA P-51 Mustang.I especially liked jamato8s comments on the synergy the P-51 has with jazz music.Skylabs review on the RSA site was the clincher.Had to Pre-Order one right there and then.Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be fortunate enough to have placed my order on time.Happy Thanksgiving.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #183 of 1,220
The more I listen to the P-51, the more I can hear the quality it brings to music.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #185 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I listen to the P-51, the more I can hear the quality it brings to music.

As always great words of encouragement.Can't wait for Ray's announcement, so excited!! Hope I Pre-Ordered on time.
Headphile808.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #186 of 1,220
I can't say the P-51 is better than the SR-71A, it is different. The SR-71A presents a slightly more distant image, the 51 a little closer but it also had a quality of intimacy that is captivating. The mids, as mentioned in the review by Skylab, are very, very good and that is where much the music is. But that doesn't mean the lows and highs are let down. They are there. I am still trying to get a handle on the 51 because of the difference it presents in the sound. There is layering, there is intimacy and yet there is space. As I stated above, the sound is captivating, it is enjoyable, it is musical, it is inviting.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #188 of 1,220
jamato,

I currently have a iBasso D2 Boa and plan on getting a P-51 (I have already stated my pre-order intentions in the thread), I will be satisfied with this change right? At least not disappointed? My Boa will likely be used as a DAC once the tiny P-51 arrives.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #190 of 1,220
I am still trying to understand everything I hear. Voice on the 51 are well focussed and I notice that it is as if they come from a shaped face rather than just from a space.

I haven't compared it to the two above amps directly and will try to. I use the Ultrasone Ed. 9 most of the time, which for me, can dissect the sound in a good way but I also need time to really take in the subtle differences to give as honest opinion as possible.

Oh, for those who have asked and emailed. It drives the HD650's just fine and to as loud as you would normally want, meaning that I can't listen as loud as the amp will drive them and still not distort. This is on medium gain.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #191 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still trying to understand everything I hear. Voice on the 51 are well focussed and I notice that it is as if they come from a shaped face rather than just from a space.

I haven't compared it to the two above amps directly and will try to. I use the Ultrasone Ed. 9 most of the time, which for me, can dissect the sound in a good way but I also need time to really take in the subtle differences to give as honest opinion as possible.

Oh, for those who have asked and emailed. It drives the HD650's just fine and to as loud as you would normally want, meaning that I can't listen as loud as the amp will drive them and still not distort. This is on medium gain.

Wow, I really can't wait to hear this midrange. If, in addition, the P-51's bass is equal or even better than the Predator's, then this is amp truly heaven on earth in portable audio world. Did you, by chance, have the time to compare the bass presentation of the Mustang and Predator, jamato?

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #192 of 1,220
Compare the D2, D3, Predator. I will work at it.

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #193 of 1,220
Awesome! Can't wait for the comparison, especially considering your great experience with all of Ray's recent amps.
L3000.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #194 of 1,220
I haven't done a real review of the 51 yet because I have been waiting for the sound to settle in to my head. The 51 presents in a little different way. It was unexpected that there is imaging more like a home amp and while I can't call it a home amp, the sound is extremely good with a sweet overtone. Violins are just so "right". It will take me a little longer to flesh out everything but the P-51 to be honest, is a surprise in a good way.

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #195 of 1,220
FYI - having heard a burned in P-51 and having gotten mine around 2PM yesterday.....

The sound right out of the box with NO BURN IN is very flat sounding and bassy with a lack of soundstage and imaging.

The difference that the first 2-3 hours makes is night and day....though mine is at hour 18. Hour 15 was aweful. It was a case of all the improvements I heard over the first 7 hours disappeared and it sounded like a $20 CMoy. It was forced listening that hour for sure.

I have the first 7 hours pretty well documented right now. Hour 18 is MUCH better than Hour 15 was. Transparency and clarity are very evident. It is darn nice sounding now, but having heard the well burned in amp, I know it needs more time.

I also discovered that if you are planning to use the amp while on the charger...plug in all of your audio cords first, then the charger and not the other way around. If you do this, you can get some hum. If the order is reversed the hum is inaudible. You should notice hum with lower impedance cans (32ohm) with the amp at the upper levels of volume and I tried it in the high gain mode right out of the box and it was humming.

That said, it seems to be going away and is barely audible with even my IEM's if thrown in high gain and volume turned up all of the way. *No inputs plugged in*

Just another 60-80 hours to go! (Ray recommended ~100 hours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back