RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Nov 23, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #166 of 1,220
Well, I am currently using the predator for my IEMs mainly(sometimes for my HD 650), and previously owned a pico. I keep the predator as it match with the Westone ES3 and HD 650 better,especially ES3

Should I get the P51 to replace the predator?(I don't actually need the USB DAC so basically the USB DAC in the predator is not a bonus for me)
I'm so confused.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #168 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by williamchc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I get the P51 to replace the predator?(I don't actually need the USB DAC so basically the USB DAC in the predator is not a bonus for me)
I'm so confused.

I saw your name in the pre-order list
bigsmile_face.gif

If I have Predator/Tomahawk/Hornet, I would have been in the same situation ... confusion.

I have a Blackbird, and I think it's good for home use with my HD650, and I will use a little brother Mustang on the go (with SE530) or in my office (with MS2i).

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #169 of 1,220
The P-51 is so small and light you hardly notice you have it. It is very enjoyable to use.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #170 of 1,220
Can Someone post link to preorder list? Thanks very much.

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #171 of 1,220
Nov 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #173 of 1,220
How does the lithium battery of the P-51 compared to two 9 volts used in the SR-71? I have not seen the battery specs.

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #174 of 1,220
The P-51 uses a 3.7 Li-Poly. The 71A can use a number of different 9 volt types.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #175 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The P-51 uses a 3.7 Li-Poly. The 71A can use a number of different 9 volt types.

Jamato: here's a quote from Ray:

"The rechargeable Lithium Ion battery can deliver easy 7-8 days of playback at 8 hours per day of play back from single charge."

Did Ray mean to imply the Mustang comes with Litium Ion, not Lithium Polymer (Li-Po)?

PS: Li-Po's are pretty cool (very high charge density), but dangerous if mistreated - they literally explode! -- use them on RC Heli's.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #176 of 1,220
I don't know. I would go with Ray's site of course. I just read so much about Li-poly and use them myself.

Li-poly can be dangerous, as you express.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #177 of 1,220
I should have posted the entire post from Ray.
Here it is: originally posted in Members of the Trade Forum, 30 Oct 08

Emmeline, P-51, the Mustang.

This little wonder is made to last the life time. It has a mil spec pc brd with some of the best SMD dale Vishay resistor. The caps are Tantalum & by passed with some of the best SMD film caps. These features have a lot to do with quality of the sound. The circuit it self is a simple design with no extra bells & whistles.
The Mustang was designed to be the smallest portable amp we make yet it is tweaked to stand against some of the best amps out there.
No compromise in parts quality, or workmanship. The rechargeable Lithium Ion battery can deliver easy 7-8 days of playback at 8 hours per day of play back from single charge.
The amp can output 250ma of current, per channel, enough to drive all headphones to very acceptable level of sound.

The Aluminum extrusion is designed from ground up & both ends are custom designed to our specs. The volume control Knob is the same like the Predator as it is custom made for our amps.

The P-51 has a three level gain switch imbedded internally yet accessible from the top of the extrusion, it gives the gain of 2, 6 & 11. The switch can not be triggered accidentally. The reason for the placement of the gain switch inside is the size of the amp & its minute face plate.

No large cap has been implemented in this design, so you are looking at around 100 hours of burn-in that any electronic components need to break-in.
The P-51 comes with a charger/adaptor, you can charge the amp while listening to it or just turn it off & the battery will be full within 2-3 hours.
No harm will be done to the battery if the charger is left on all the time.

Combining this little amp with any NANO Video with a good mini dock cable & lossless files make this little gem one of the greatest companion when traveling.
Please stay away from the very heavy SOLID adaptors that convert ¼”-1/8”, as these adaptors put a lot of stress on ALL connectors of the portable amps no matter who the maker is, especially when walking or jogging. Also use the mini DOCK cables that have smaller body & flexible wires.

Please do not purchase my amp if your source has no line out. Using the headphone jack out of your source to any amp defeats the purpose of using an external amplifier. Many posts we read where the person claims that there is no difference in sound quality between the source headphone jack & the amp that he or she purchased using the headphone jack as the input to the amp. Quality of the sound also improves when your files are not compressed, the compression induces hiss & the sound quality is no longer enjoyable.

The P-51 is going to be offered in many colors, few colors might be for the first time. We are very pleased that this amp will be ready on time for the coming Holidays, so if you are looking forward to treating your self for one, this would be the one you should consider.

The P-51, Mustang, is warranted for a period of three years from the time that was purchased. The warranty is transferable to any new buyers as many times as it might be sold. The warranty will cover the parts, labor & the battery. The buyer will pay for shipping.

Every year around this time we do offer a Holidays special for all head-fi members & friend. This year is no exception. The regular price for the P-51 is $375.00.
The Holiday special for 200 Mustangs will be $325.00 only. Please make sure you post in this thread for the reservation if you need one. Please do not send me an e-mail or pm as I have no time to answer that. Your post will guaranty you the right to own one with out my reply. The orders will be taken until the end of NOVEMBER. Please do not send money or check either, I do not want to take your money until I have the amps in my hands. I will post about the time when you can make your payment. Your post will reserve you an amp but it will only ship when the payment has been made. After a certain period of time if payment has not been made your right for an amp, at the special Holiday price, will cease to exist.

Happy Holidays from Ray Samuels Audio Staff.

-------------------------------------------------------

Does not sound like Mustang has Li-Po's!
Ray states Lithium Ion.

(Man, I wonder how long you could run it, if it DID have Li-Po's?)

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #178 of 1,220
Ok, well, there you go. 8^)

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #179 of 1,220
hi, i am just wondering what happen when the lithium ion battery is dead. though some may have already sell their mustang when that happen, for those who hold on to it, can we replace the battery ourselves? for those who are not in us, it may be a bit troublesome and costly to send it to ray to do that. any comments?

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #180 of 1,220
Can anyone comment on the SQ implications of the Mustang having twice the current output of the Tomahawk?

Wonder how that compares with current output of Predator, for example?

Have heard that low impedance cans, like Grado, seem to like high current output amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back