RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Nov 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #121 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the differences in these amps.
I would assume the predator would be the best bet because it has a USB output that can be used with ipod or laptop. Isn't that a higher quality output than the line out?

It depends upon your line out. A line out can be from an MP3 player or a dac. It depends upon how high the quality of signal from the line out of whatever you are using as a source. USB is as good as the dac. The Predator does a fine job and is very enjoyable to listen to.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #122 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still trying to decide if I should order it or not. I really like Ray's designs, attention to detail, build quality, customer service, etc. This is a hard decission!

I always thought that the SR71 (and it's replacement SR71A) were Ray's "Statement Products" for the portable world. I can't help but wonder how the Mustang could be better with it's diminuitive size. I don't doubt it's the usual great product many expect from Ray..but if there was some sound quality gift to the audiophile world hidden inside, why wouldn't that technology be implemented on the SR71A?

My current assumption is that the P51 would be a small step down in absolute sound quality from the SR71A due to the sacrifices made to facilitate it's size. However, it's possible someone may prefer its sound signature over the SR71A.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #123 of 1,220
I think size is a phycological barrier. Implementation and changes in opamps, materials used and experience, to me, are the overriding factors. I could not assume based on size, cost or other factors that something would be a step up or down until heard. Experience in this arena has taught me to listen, though I do make assumptions myself only to remind myself that I may be assuming too much.

I hope to hear one soon and will add my opinion.

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #124 of 1,220
The SR-71/a seem to be home amps made portable and would likely do very well with high impedance headphones which might be a problem for other amps. I bet that this is the area where the SR-71/a bests the P-51. The P-51 can still power full sized, but I doubt that it could replace a home amp in that sense like many report with there SR-71's.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #127 of 1,220
Hi Lil' Knight,
Thank you for the Answer.

Levy

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #128 of 1,220
If you preorder you can save some money as they will be on a preorder sale.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #130 of 1,220
This little amp seems to be somehow revolutionary. I wonder how it would compare to the SR-71A, since I'm waiting for one to get home.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #131 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mustang is very tempting, loving the battery life on that. I have the hornet (great amp), but the biggest problem is it last only around 12 hours or so with rechargeable's.

Shooze: what battery are you using?? I'm getting way more hours on my Powerex rechargeable than that. I want to say almost double that, but I don't "log" my hours only becxause when it depletes, I change batteries or charge the one that's in there

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #135 of 1,220
I wonder the same thing, but with a RSA if things need repair, it is done relatively quick FWIR, with the Xin, you may have to wait a while if history is any indicator. Ny the way, you can always look here;

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...mpared-214588/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back