RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Nov 1, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #91 of 1,220
Cats, Cats! what is it with these cats! I mean they could listen but how do they convey what they have heard? Do they purr, flick their tail in satisfaction, or can you tell when they grin and vanish?

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #92 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I had to get more information. I envy those who got to see and listen to the new amp.

The gain settings are, 2, 6 and 11, with a switch on board accessed from top, lithium ion, 60 hours of playback, 250mA output for each channel. The size is 1/2 inch shorter than the TH. There are two 50uf caps one for the + and -, which means your real reserve is in the battery. 200 units for Christmas with a special price below the $375 that it will sell for.

Most all of the colors you have seen on Ray's site. This is fun stuff!

Jamato,

Can you comment (for those of us, like me, who are analog circuit challenged) on the design tradeoffs / sonic differences you'd expect with two small 50-microfarad caps on the + and - side, with the battery as your real reserve?

Seems to be a departure from the common "large cap in the signal train" architecture, that requires lots of burn-in to form,
and is common among Ray's (and others') portables?

Thanks in advance, for any light you can shed on the subject.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #93 of 1,220
^ Large caps is a relative terms. Both the SR71 and SR71A use smaller caps than what the Hornet or Tomahawk use. Nonetheless they are considered by some to be large (5,000 uF per side if memory serves me right).

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #94 of 1,220
mrarroyo,

OK, understand Tomahawk 15,000uF
and SR71 5000uF (considered large by some).
But the Mustang was designed with two 50uF caps.
Seems like quite a departure - any idea what the benefit / tradeoffs might be?

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #95 of 1,220
A battery is a capacitor or sorts. It holds a charge. If it is a low resistance source there is no reason that small caps wouldn't work just fine. There is no real tradeoff if everything is implemented right.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #98 of 1,220
You guys have no idea how excited I am to get this...just 2-3 weeks away!!!!!!!!!

atsmile.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #99 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys have no idea how excited I am to get this...just 2-3 weeks away!!!!!!!!!

atsmile.gif

Your excitement does not excite us...... Jk.
tongue.gif

Actually, I'm looking forward to this amp due to its Christmas price. But the biggest reason I'm looking forward to this amp is if it can power the R10's well, it'll be interesting to see what it can do because none of Ray's portable amps (Hornet, Predator & Tomahawk) have yet to impress me as well as some other Head-fiers
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #100 of 1,220
ZephyerSapphire,

I agree with you on that one. The predator was nice, but too dark IMO and I felt was distinctly colored. That is what motivated me to get the Pico because I felt it had an overall faster sound which was much closer to neutral (though not neutral - little warm). The P-51 I preferred to the Pico so much that I pre-ordered it. It is actually a bit smaller and does power large headphones, something that the Pico did not do well in my mind when you go much past Grado's. If you are only going to use the amp for portable headphones, it might come all down to preference. As a mids junkie, I went with the P-51.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #101 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZephyerSapphire,

I agree with you on that one. The predator was nice, but too dark IMO and I felt was distinctly colored. That is what motivated me to get the Pico because I felt it had an overall faster sound which was much closer to neutral (though not neutral - little warm). The P-51 I preferred to the Pico so much that I pre-ordered it. It is actually a bit smaller and does power large headphones, something that the Pico did not do well in my mind when you go much past Grado's. If you are only going to use the amp for portable headphones, it might come all down to preference. As a mids junkie, I went with the P-51.

I really like the Pico's mids, smooth and liquid. How does the P-51's mids compare with the Pico's?

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #102 of 1,220
It would seem the last line in the quote would answer your question.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #103 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would seem the last line in the quote would answer your question.

My question is, is it more liquid and smoother? Or the same? Saying I like it or prefers it does not answer this this query.
Thanks.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #104 of 1,220
"Midrange: A++: OK, here it comes – the best mids of any portable headphone amp EVER. Yes, this includes the iQube, 2Move, and any of Ray’s other amps. The mids on the Mustang have to be heard to be believed. I was SHOCKED. So pretty, so lush and liquid, and yet so neutral and transparent. Joanna Newsome’s harp and voice on “Cosmia” were so good I truly got shivers and goosebumps. The Mustang’s mids are nothing short of THRILLING."

-By Skylab @ Head-fi.org.

Anyway there is a small write-up on the RSA's site. Hope that helps.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #105 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is, is it more liquid and smoother? Or the same? Saying I like it or prefers it does not answer this this query.
Thanks.

I haven't heard it but I should be receiving a loaner soon and give you my opinion but it appears the mid range has been assessed to great acclaim. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back