RSA Intruder or HiFi-M8 for CIEM
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

johnnybrick

100+ Head-Fier
It appears my decision making just got a whole lot more difficult, so I though I'd better consult with the experts! Keep in-mind that I have very little experience with portable HP amps and zero experience with other RSA and HiFi products. I will add that I like to single unit DAC/amp configuration over that of say the CLAS/ALO setup. Just makes it a little easier when traveling.

I've read here that the RSA amps like the SR-71 have a nice warm quality to them, something that would suit me just fine. For the record I listen to just about everything except pop-country and hip-hop. I tend to lean more towards Enigma, Muse, Modeski Martin & Wood, and Mozart over Taylor Swift (talented though) and Jay-Z (also talented). 

Since these two products haven't even been released yet, based on your experience and knowledge using other RSA & CEntrance products which DAC/amp do you feel might pair better with JH13's? 

What sound signature might I expect to hear from the HiFi-M8? I'm leaning towards a balanced output option, but its not entirely necessary. What other options/features/configuration plans should I consider when pairing with my JH13's?

I have a feeling I can't go wrong with either product, but before I jump into the pre-order process I thought I'd ask the experts that have way more experience analyzing PHP amps than I. 

Thanks so much for you time and I look forward to your comments as you compare and contrast to two new products!

smile.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 19
the centrance m8 has been reported to sound very similar to the centrance dacmini
the rsa intruder has the exact same amp as the sr-71b, except its high gain is more powerful
all depends on what you want but you can start off by reading dacmini and sr-71b reviews and see what sound signature you like more

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
the centrance m8 has been reported to sound very similar to the centrance dacmini
the rsa intruder has the exact same amp as the sr-71b, except its high gain is more powerful
all depends on what you want but you can start off by reading dacmini and sr-71b reviews and see what sound signature you like more

With all do respect my friend, how did you know it is the same EXACT amp as the one in the SR-71B?

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 19
I'm actually really interested in preordering the intruder. Does anyone know when are preorders are being taken?

Looking for a portable amp/dac that drives my HD 650's at home and my CIEM's on the go.

Andy 

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 19

Thanks for the info Fuzzyash. I'll read-up on the dacmini and dig deeper into the sr71b discussions.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 19
I'm actually really interested in preordering the intruder. Does anyone know when are preorders are being taken?

Looking for a portable amp/dac that drives my HD 650's at home and my CIEM's on the go.

Andy 

RS indicated that he will be updating his site in the next few days with The Intruder ordering information.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Fuzzy, 
The SR-71B and the Intruder do not sound the same. I compared both amps head to head a couple weeks ago at a Chicago mini meet.
The intruder has more gain, and sounds smoother and even more refined to me than my SR-71B. I am not sure what all Ray has done different, but I believe he said there are different chips used in this amp.
I'd sure he will let us in on all the details shortly. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
where did you get link or info to pre-order the intruder?

You should just email RS @ rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com 
It's only $650 + shipping/paypal fees for the first couple orders!
Quote:
Sent the PayPal order to RSA for The Intruder.....can't wait! Should make my JH13's come to life. 

I've sent in my order for The Intruder also! UM Miracle and HD 650 for me!

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
With all do respect my friend, how did you know it is the same EXACT amp as the one in the SR-71B?

dont shoot me!
i was commenting on what ive heard so far

Fuzzy, 
The SR-71B and the Intruder do not sound the same. I compared both amps head to head a couple weeks ago at a Chicago mini meet.
The intruder has more gain, and sounds smoother and even more refined to me than my SR-71B. I am not sure what all Ray has done different, but I believe he said there are different chips used in this amp.
I'd sure he will let us in on all the details shortly. 

this is a first that ive heard

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
You should just email RS @ rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com 
It's only $650 + shipping/paypal fees for the first couple orders!
I've sent in my order for The Intruder also! UM Miracle and HD 650 for me!

Nice Mcberto! I'm looking forward to adding a full size pair of HP to the portable rig in the very near future.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
where did you get link or info to pre-order the intruder?

Snapple, like Mcberto indicated, you need to email Ray with the request. If I recall my conversation with Ray recently he mentioned he only has approx. 200 units for sale at the discounted price and they may all be spoken-for at this point. Email him right away to see if there's any left. Here's the email that Ray sent to us yesterday:

[size=medium] We will start ship the intruder after I come back from Japan headphone show in Tokyo, around the 2nd of November.
$650.00 for the black Intruder at introductory price.
$48.00 for shipping if you are out of US
& 4.2% pay-pal fee.
Total shipped out of US is $727.32
$685.98 for the Intruder if you live in the US.
You may use my e-mail address to transfer the money.
rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com
Cheers.
Ray Samuels
[/size]

[size=10pt] Hope that helps!![/size]

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 19
Same conversation I had with him, just placed my pre-order now. Prospectively shipping beginning Nov 2nd, can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back