RSA * Dark Star * SE and balanced, dual chassis amp designed to drive most any HP . .
Mar 24, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #17 of 172
Has anyone really confirmed a HE-7? I would seem realistic but I guess it would be more of when not if. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #18 of 172
I don't think there will be an HE-7 anytime soon, they still have to release the 'portable' HE-6, HE-500 or whatever.

This isn't just a speaker amp, it is a very powerful speaker amp. Speaker amps that people are using the drive the HE-6 are something like ~40-100 watts into 8 ohms, this is 400. Not even many speakers need that much power.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 172
If the amp sounds great I would prefer more than enough power. At least I know power will not be in question. Lack of power in audio has always concerned me but never an amp that has more than enough. Listening is what is all about anyway so I look forward to impressions. 

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #20 of 172
I was just thinking the other day that Ray had nothing new out since the Protector and the Nighthawk.  Glad to see that his mind is still working on new things.

Since the Stax folks are going to price me out of the new Omega, Looking at the HE-5 with a nice amp might be just the ticket. (hmm, as if I need any new amps) This will be another option to drive the "hard to drive" phones.  I hope the Dark/Black/Death Star sounds great.  The Lyr has set a high bar in the performance/price arena.  I have been afraid to try the HE-6 as I did not want to have to keep hooking and unhooking my speakers from the mono blocks.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #21 of 172
Quote:
I was just thinking the other day that Ray had nothing new out since the Protector and the Nighthawk.  Glad to see that his mind is still working on new things.

more recently he released the sr71b.

Quote:
Since the Stax folks are going to price me out of the new Omega, Looking at the HE-5 with a nice amp might be just the ticket. (hmm, as if I need any new amps) This will be another option to drive the "hard to drive" phones.  I hope the Dark/Black/Death Star sounds great.  The Lyr has set a high bar in the performance/price arena.  I have been afraid to try the HE-6 as I did not want to have to keep hooking and unhooking my speakers from the mono blocks.

just based on it's description, this thing is likely to be pricey. it sounds like a statement piece, not something that he'd expect to sell in large quantities, and certainly not a bang-for-the-buck proposition.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 172

Quote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I often hit Woo Audio, Ray's site and a few others every few days just to see if anything is going on. Along with going to various medical sites because of my medical work and photography sites on a daily basis, I have learned to streamline my views. :^) 

I will be very curious to see what this looks like. I would love to see some interior shots. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #25 of 172
I think iBasso is winning the contest for "most new toys" category, although FiiO looks to be catching up.

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 172

Quote:
Ray probably comes out with more amps than anyone else ever I mean the SR71b was just released I don't really get it

Don't get what? Some manufactures are constantly pushing the envelope. That is their option. I like the variety and if I don't want to buy a certain amp because it doesn't fit my needs that is my option. iBasso produces a lot, Xin, when in business came out with new ones constantly (sometimes every few months) and others produce new versions constantly. Such is the nature of exploring the possibilities with us, if we choose, enjoying the results. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 172
This looks amazing. I am thinking of Ray sitting at his table with the HE-6 run from the SR71B which is the size of my palm and him telling me that this is the best amp to run the HE-6. I knew that was a bit of an exaggeration, but from all report the SR71B only underpowers the HE-6 by a slight amount. Anyway, I was thinking that Ray should com out with a big home amp to really push the limits of the HE-6's performance. He was sitting there with this tiny amp and all the other vendors had their big home amps. It was very interesting. 

150 volts p-p and however many hundreds of watts are ridiculous. I would like to crank the HE-6 or the LCD-2 to their limits and see how loud they get. They have really big drivers, and at that point are like big orthodynamic speaker tweeters or midrange drivers. The LCD-2 can supposedly hit 133dbs with 15 watts, and I assume the numbers are similar on the HE-6.

I am thinking a price of $3000. Just my semi educated guess. Not something I can consider, but trickle down tech is important and I would love to listen to it while Ray beams and tells me how great it is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back