Roon Optimization Guide For Increased Sound Quality
Jul 7, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 132
This guide assumes you have already downloaded and installed Roon Core/Server 2.0 on your source and Roon Endpoint version 2.0 on a Mac or PC.
  • Access the settings menu by clicking on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) on the top left of the Roon app. Configure the following:
    • Disable the default music folder (not the folder where your music is stored. Roon sometimes automatically adds the default system music folder and this is the one we want to disable)
      • Settings > Storage > kebab menu (three vertical dots) > Disable
    • Set Background audio analysis to Off
      • Settings > Library > Background audio analysis > drop down menu > OFF
      • Note: changing this setting is vitally important for SQ, but also a PITA. You'll need to turn this back on after adding new media to your library then turn it off again.
    • Set On-Demand audio analysis to Off
      • Settings > Library > On-Demand audio analysis > drop down menu > OFF
      • Note: changing this setting is vitally important for SQ, but also a PITA. You'll need to turn this back on after adding new media to your library then turn it off again.
    • Disable all audio zones and devices except for the upstream device (DAC/Network Player) you will use to connect to your Roon Core.
      • Settings > Audio > Connected to Core > DAC/Network Player > Enable
      • Note: ASIO drivers for Windows and ASLA for Linux tend to yield the best audio performance. Though I have heard instances of WASAPI performing just as well in Windows with the right software.
    • Audio Device Settings
      • Settings > Audio > Connected to Core > DAC/Network Player > cogwheel menu
        • DSD playback strategy > Native or DSD over PCM (DoP)
        • MQA capabilities > off
        • Volume Control > Fixed
        • Resync Delay > 0ms
          • Note: if you click play and the first second or so of a track is cut off, increase in 50ms increments until it plays. Some DACs need a few milliseconds to sync with the source before initializing playback.
      • Show Advanced > Drop down menu >
        • Set your DAC's max sample rate for PCM
        • Set your DAC's native bits per sample for PCM (bit depth)
        • Set your DAC's max sample rate for DSD
        • Enable MQA decoder > No
        • Use maximum Buffer size > No
        • Power of 2 Hardware Buffer Size > No or 0
    • Disable DSP and remove filters (don't worry, you can always add these back).
      • Home (main music playback bar at the bottom) > Speaker Icon (lower right) > Click the Sine Wave/hairpin looking thingy (this should open the DSP menu)
        • From the DSP menu:
          • Headroom Management > Disabled
          • Sample rate Conversion > Disabled
          • Parametric EQ > Remove Filter (top right)
          • Convolution > Remove Filter
          • Crossfeed > Remove Filter
          • Audeze Presets > Remove Filter
          • Note: it is important to remove these filters, not just disable them.
The rest of the optimizations will be done at the hardware, BIOS and operating system level. That will be covered in the "Building a Custom Digital Source" thread.

You can also use these optimizations as a litmus test of sorts. If you change these settings and can't hear a difference in your rig. Leave this thread and don't give "optimizing" Roon another thought.

Hope this helps!

-lj

Amazing writeup - thanks for sharing!

I use a roon Nucleus+ server that's in a separate location wired into home network, and my roon ready Dac (bricasti m3) is connected to the home network via ethernet.

how/would this affect the above?

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #17 of 132
I use a roon Nucleus+ server that's in a separate location wired into home network, and my roon ready Dac (bricasti m3) is connected to the home network via ethernet.

how/would this affect the above?
The short answer, is almost everything can affect sonic performance, but to what degree and if it will be audible is incredibly hard to say. There are just too many variables in play to give definitive answers as it depends on your system, your ears, the Roon endpoint implementation on your DAC, Roon server config, underlying server hardware/OS, etc., etc., etc. At best, any advice I give will be generalized in nature. For example, as a matter of policy with these types of networked client-server implementations you could:
  • Put your Roon server on a separate subnet/VLAN to isolate the broadcast domain from other devices connected to your switch. However, this can be tricky if:
    • You lack the knowledge to configure a dedicated VLAN/subnet/layer 3 gateway and route between it and your wider LAN environment.
    • The L3 gateway isn't configured on the same device that is directly connected to the Roon server/endpoints.
    • The dedicated Roon subnet/VLAN needs to be routed through an external device (like a crappy ISP modem).
    • You are using special switch hardware.
    • You are using special switch configurations (IGMP snooping, port security, ACLs, etc.).
    • etc., etc. etc.
  • Use media converters between your DAC and ethernet switch and the Roon server and ethernet switch (or just use fiber ports on both endpoint and server devices if available) This tends to remove a ton of electrical noise from the signal path and present super clean and clear. I personally don't care for this as it sounds too processed and fake/"HiFI" to my ears, but others absolutely love it.
  • Use a dedicated PCIE card, preferably one utilizing an external power source, to handle network traffic on your Roon server.
  • Avoid using wireless as a transport medium between Roon servers and endpoints.
  • In theory, the smallest switches (not hubs) with the lowest port count should yield the best sonic performance. But this is wildly theoretical as it depends on the manufacturer's power and data processing designs.
I'm getting awfully deep into the weeds here. I should probably pull back and save most of this for the "Build Your Own Digital Source" thread I'm writing. I don't want to conflate the topics of basic Roon optimization and server construction/implementation as they are different topics for vastly different audiences.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 132
The short answer, is almost everything can affect sonic performance, but to what degree and if it will be audible is incredibly hard to say. There are just too many variables in play to give definitive answers as it depends on your system, your ears, the Roon endpoint implementation on your DAC, Roon server config, underlying server hardware/OS, etc., etc., etc. At best, any advice I give will be generalized in nature. For example, as a matter of policy with these types of networked client-server implementations you could:
  • Put your Roon server on a separate subnet/VLAN to isolate the broadcast domain from other devices connected to your switch. However, this can be tricky if:
    • You lack the knowledge to configure a dedicated VLAN/subnet/layer 3 gateway and route between it and your wider LAN environment.
    • The L3 gateway isn't configured on the same device that is directly connected to the Roon server/endpoints.
    • The dedicated Roon subnet/VLAN needs to be routed through an external device (like a crappy ISP modem).
    • You are using special switch hardware.
    • You are using special switch configurations (IGMP snooping, port security, ACLs, etc.).
    • etc., etc. etc.
  • Use media converters between your DAC and ethernet switch and the Roon server and ethernet switch (or just use fiber ports on both endpoint and server devices if available) This tends to remove a ton of electrical noise from the signal path and present super clean and clear. I personally don't care for this as it sounds too processed and fake/"HiFI" to my ears, but others absolutely love it.
  • Use a dedicated PCIE card, preferably one utilizing an external power source, to handle network traffic on your Roon server.
  • Avoid using wireless as a transport medium between Roon servers and endpoints.
  • In theory, the smallest switches (not hubs) with the lowest port count should yield the best sonic performance. But this is wildly theoretical as it depends on the manufacturer's power and data processing designs.
I'm getting awfully deep into the weeds here. I should probably pull back and save most of this for the "Build Your Own Digital Source" thread I'm writing. I don't want to conflate the topics of basic Roon optimization and server construction/implementation as they are different topics for vastly different audiences.

Thanks!
yes I use wired ethernet only always. Never tried media converter but based on your description I'll probably not go that route. the separate subnet is beyond my skill. thanks for the rest I'll try to see what I could do!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #19 of 132
Great information--thanks for this detail. I have a question that I think may be related. Roon audio devices aren't recognized when I turn my external DAC off. I dont put the Roon application to sleep, I just turn off the DAC. When I turn the DAC back on the next day---Roon doesnt "see" the DAC. I have to quit Roon and open it up and then the DAC is there. I run my core on a Mac Mini M2. What do you think is happening?

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 132
Great information--thanks for this detail. I have a question that I think may be related. Roon audio devices aren't recognized when I turn my external DAC off. I dont put the Roon application to sleep, I just turn off the DAC. When I turn the DAC back on the next day---Roon doesnt "see" the DAC. I have to quit Roon and open it up and then the DAC is there. I run my core on a Mac Mini M2. What do you think is happening?

Hard to say without access to the machine(s) for validation. Are you running Roon core and endpoint on the same Mac Mini? Also, are you having to restart the endpoint GUI-based client or the core server client?

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #22 of 132
Yes Roon core and endpoint on same MAC mini. I only have to restart Roon app. Not Mac. I see the device in the midi audio application but not showing in Roon ready devices

This reeks of a software, driver, or hardware device bug or setting somewhere between the Mac audio driver, Roon core and Roon endpoint.

Off the cuff, it sounds like the Mac Mini is going to sleep and the OS is killing access to external hardware devices. However, if you have 100% verified the Mini isn't going into sleep/standby mode when you turn off the DAC, try downgrading Roon to version 1.8 and see if the problem persists. If not, you'll have to report the problem to Roon and wait for a fix. If so, the problem is likely with the Mac Mini and we'll need to investigate further.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #23 of 132
This reeks of a software, driver, or hardware device bug or setting somewhere between the Mac audio driver, Roon core and Roon endpoint.

Off the cuff, it sounds like the Mac Mini is going to sleep and the OS is killing access to external hardware devices. However, if you have 100% verified the Mini isn't going into sleep/standby mode when you turn off the DAC, try downgrading Roon to version 1.8 and see if the problem persists. If not, you'll have to report the problem to Roon and wait for a fix. If so, the problem is likely with the Mac Mini and we'll need to investigate further.
Thanks for the thoughts! I have been thinking of trying the down grade route

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #24 of 132

I use my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro connected via USB to my Holo Spring DAC. After 'enableing' the Spring DAC in Roon I had to go to the MIDI setting and choose the Spring DAC for the output . I always quit Roon when I'm done listening and put my Mac to sleep manually. Upon launching Roon the next time I want to listen, the Spring DAC 'Audio Zone' is automatically ready to go without going back in to the MIDI settings.

When I introduced my Holo Red in to my chain using my Mac via Ethernet > Red > USB > Spring DAC I 'enabled' the Red 'Audio Zone' in Roon one time. When I put my Spring DAC in 'Standby Mode' after I'm done listening I lose the 'Audio Zone' for the Red. Upon powering up my Spring DAC the Red 'Audi Zone' in Roon automatically appears again and is ready to go. DAC ON = Red 'Audio Zone' automatically ON / DAC OFF = Red 'Audio Zone' automatically OFF. Hope this is helps in some way to solve/understand what's going on with your Mac/Roon 'Audio Zone' not seeing your DAC.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #25 of 132
Yeah that is interesting. The confusing part for my set up is the DAC is present on Roon tested audio devices "enabled." Once I turn the DAC off and then back on---the DAC doesn't even show up in the Audio devices to enable---not even an option....but it is visible on the audio midi as the "output"so its visible to the MAC but not in Roon. This only started happening maybe a month ago. I have had Roon working for about 5 years. After more testing, it appears to be an issue when the MONITOR goes to sleep. The screen saver will start and then monitor will sleep after a bit of time. When I wake up the monitor the DAC is not visible after I turn it back on. Can that actually be a known issue or expected behaviour?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #26 of 132
In addition to the recommendations in this thread, here are a few more tweaks to improve Roon SQ:

1. Disable Roon Radio. There are a few places in Setup where any reference to RR can be removed/disabled, leaving the main switch in the Queue view. You can toggle this switch on and off as required. I like RR functionality, so I enable it when I'm in casual/discovery mode, and disable it for more immersive listening.

2. Disable "Lyrics" in the Now Playing view settings. This disables the dynamic (karaoke-style) lyrics view. Weirdly, it has an impact even if there are no dynamic lyrics available for the current song. If you disable this, you can still see static lyrics from other places, such as the Album view.

3. Disable "Composition" in the Now Playing view settings (top RHS). If you disable this, you can still see Composition from other places, such as the Album view.

The first two tweaks are subtle, so very prone to imagination tricks, but over time I've satisfied myself that they're real.
The third one is very, very subtle, so I'm still undecided if it's real or imagination.

Now here's a test for those with nothing better to do :):
After disabling the above three functions, listen to a track when in Album view and Now Playing view.
Can you tell a difference? I think I can, but again it's very subtle. My Roon Remote is an iPad for this comparison.

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #27 of 132
In addition to the recommendations in this thread, here are a few more tweaks to improve Roon SQ:

1. Disable Roon Radio. There are a few places in Setup where any reference to RR can be removed/disabled, leaving the main switch in the Queue view. You can toggle this switch on and off as required. I like RR functionality, so I enable it when I'm in casual/discovery mode, and disable it for more immersive listening.

2. Disable "Lyrics" in the Now Playing view settings. This disables the dynamic (karaoke-style) lyrics view. Weirdly, it has an impact even if there are no dynamic lyrics available for the current song. If you disable this, you can still see static lyrics from other places, such as the Album view.

3. Disable "Composition" in the Now Playing view settings (top RHS). If you disable this, you can still see Composition from other places, such as the Album view.

The first two tweaks are subtle, so very prone to imagination tricks, but over time I've satisfied myself that they're real.
The third one is very, very subtle, so I'm still undecided if it's real or imagination.

Now here's a test for those with nothing better to do :):
After disabling the above three functions, listen to a track when in Album view and Now Playing view.
Can you tell a difference? I think I can, but again it's very subtle. My Roon Remote is an iPad for this comparison.
Brilliant! Will add to the list.

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #29 of 132
Another way to cut out electrical processing noise from Roon is to use a fibre network / ethernet convertor.

I've connected my Roon Nucleus to the main switch via ethernet cable but then a 10m dedicated fibre connection from that switch to the streamer. I use a convertor (about 1m from the streamer) to convert the Fibre back to ethernet again. It acts as an air break preventing any electrical noise from the processing carried out in the Roon library from ever reaching DAC.

I keep the Nucleus in the same location as the rest of the network which is some distance from all the audio gear.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 132
Another way to cut out electrical processing noise from Roon is to use a fibre network / ethernet convertor.

I've connected my Roon Nucleus to the main switch via ethernet cable but then a 10m dedicated fibre connection from that switch to the streamer. I use a convertor (about 1m from the streamer) to convert the Fibre back to ethernet again. It acts as an air break preventing any electrical noise from the processing carried out in the Roon library from ever reaching DAC.

I keep the Nucleus in the same location as the rest of the network which is some distance from all the audio gear.

That's interesting

I also have my Nucleus in a remote connection next to my router, network switch, and other gear - from from my audio rack.

The only difference is that I have CAT 7a cables behind my walls (I put in place when I rennovated 8 years ago). So the sound carries from the swtich to an ethernet port a few meters from my rack. Would there be any benefit - after signal travels from switch over regular ethernet for a long length, to still convert it to optical from the ethernet port to the rack, and the convert it back to ethernet? (i.e. to achieve some buffer in the "last mile")?

If yes, what's the best way to convert ethernet to fiber and back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back