Roon Optimization Guide For Increased Sound Quality
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #121 of 132
I realise this is an old post but hopefully you can help. My setup is currently Router ->ethernet-> Silent angel Switch->ethernet-> Antipodes box (server) ->ethernet-> Antipodes box (player) ->USB-> Chord MScaler etc. I have ordered 2 x Fiber to Ethernet Media Converters. The question, where do i put it in the chain for best results? Cheers!

This optical fiber solution will come between Router and Silent angel switch, assuming this silent angel switch is some Audiophile switch as I am not aware of this product. If it is a normal switch then you can put this in between your switch and Antipodes server.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #122 of 132
I realise this is an old post but hopefully you can help. My setup is currently Router ->ethernet-> Silent angel Switch->ethernet-> Antipodes box (server) ->ethernet-> Antipodes box (player) ->USB-> Chord MScaler etc. I have ordered 2 x Fiber to Ethernet Media Converters. The question, where do i put it in the chain for best results? Cheers!

place between your router and the silent angel switch, but make sure you get a low noise power supply for the silent angel side of the media converter.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #126 of 132
The best sounding Roon Remote in my system is no Roon Remote* .....
-- Longer Version - best to worst --

1. No/disconnected Roon Remote (disconnect after initiating playback as above)
2. Airplane mode ON + only wifi radio ON + damping materials + screen OFF
3. #2, but with screen ON
4. #2, but with no damping (screen OFF)
5. #2 + screen ON, no damping
6. Airplane mode OFF... as well as Wifi, bluetooth & LTE radios ON also
7. #6 + Multiple other apps open in addition to Roon Remote
Thank you for trying out all these options.

I get easily confused when presented with too many variables, so, in my system, I struggled to hear the benefits of your best option - either by disabling wifi or by closing down Roon Remote. My best bet, based on SQ improvement vs speed of switching, remains to put my Roon Remote iPad into standby by pressing the on/off button. This does a bit more than just switch off the display. It freezes the progress bar, so you can see it jump to the correct current position immediately after the display returns. Not sure if this is only between RR and the display, or if somehow communications with Roon Core are also affected? Possibly other small details are affected?. I'm sure every one's mileage may vary depending on their exact networking setup.

BTW, a few of us were impressed with the SQ of recent Roon build 1392 (which introduced unspecified performance improvements). There's a more recent build now, but I'm in no hurry to change to it in case SQ goes the wrong way.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #127 of 132
Thank you for trying out all these options.

I get easily confused when presented with too many variables, so, in my system, I struggled to hear the benefits of your best option - either by disabling wifi or by closing down Roon Remote. My best bet, based on SQ improvement vs speed of switching, remains to put my Roon Remote iPad into standby by pressing the on/off button. This does a bit more than just switch off the display. It freezes the progress bar, so you can see it jump to the correct current position immediately after the display returns. Not sure if this is only between RR and the display, or if somehow communications with Roon Core are also affected? Possibly other small details are affected?. I'm sure every one's mileage may vary depending on their exact networking setup.

BTW, a few of us were impressed with the SQ of recent Roon build 1392 (which introduced unspecified performance improvements). There's a more recent build now, but I'm in no hurry to change to it in case SQ goes the wrong way.
I agree the current version sounds better. Which you can say on Head-Fi. Just don’t mention sound changes on the Roon community.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #130 of 132
The fiber segment is best implemented close to the streamer. This prevents the noise from outside, and from your own home. Modem, router, switches,hubs, WiFi, and the many connected devices present in homes nowadays.

Best would be a streamer with fiber input. I settled for a terminal Ethernet hub with copper to my streamer, and fiber to the nearest switch. (etherRegen). Since then I got a device for my DAC, with streamer module that puts fiber between the streamer and the DAC. (MSB Premier with Digital Director). The vastly simpler/cheaper version is to get 2 wired ethernet to fiber converters with fiber to place between your hub/switch and streamer.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #131 of 132
To piggyback on what @Bones13 said regarding fiber on the streamer, a little-known option to accomplish this is to use a dedicated PCIe card + "remote" fiber conversion system sold by Adnaco (https://www.adnaco.com/products/s3a/). They also work on the USB connection to the DAC.

Using the combination of fiber-to-Ethernet and fiber-to-usb conversion can really clean up the sound, especially noise. I personally don't care for the resulting sound as it is too clean and sterile for my tastes (freakishly clean, to my ears unnaturally so). But some may really like it, so I thought it worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back