Roon is live
Jan 27, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #348 of 701
Are there any offers or discounts that apply to gifting the subscription? I saw that (in the past) there were.

Yes, this is what they currently offer for buying someone a gift membership;

Image+2020-01-27+at+11.44.28+AM.png

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #349 of 701
With the latest upgrade to 1.7, they increased the lifetime license to$699 but did not change the annual license of $119.

I'm glad I bought the lifetime license a while back then at $499. Best player I've ever used!

Feb 2, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #350 of 701
Thoroughly impressed by Roon one week into my trial. Definitely will be buying an annual subscription. I'm coming from Audirvana and just use it as a player.

The Roon Radio feature plus the ability to control from my mobile and the fact my entire local and streaming library is seamlessly integrated just makes it much better, in my opinion.

Audirvana on Windows also feels a bit "clunky" in comparison.

Feb 7, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #351 of 701
I am trying to work out a reasonable value (and of course infinitely good quality - LOL!) Roon endpoint to feed my DAC. I have been playing with Ropieee and an RPI4, USB output to a reclocker. The user experience is good but, I am not convinced by the sound this solution. Tidal -> Mac -> USB -> Reclocker sounded better overall.

I am assuming it will be a computer-based solution (like an rpi, or a mac-mini, etc) but I am open to whatever else seems good.

I'd like to move away from my laptop being the source direct to my DAC (or reclocker). This implies some sort of Roon endpoint. I also want to use a stand-alone DAC, not one with an inbuilt streaming function.
  • SPDIF or USB (implies something that outputs quality of either!)
  • RasbperryPi or another solution? I think people have preferred Rpi < 3b - even though RPI4 solves the dual ethernet/ USB conflict.
  • Power supplies - what is a good linear power supply (or at least low noise like from iFi) for any of these devices?
  • NUC needed for primarily Tidal streaming?
I don't really have a budget in mind because I am feeling out the space.

ANY thoughts would be welcome.

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #352 of 701
I am trying to work out a reasonable value (and of course infinitely good quality - LOL!) Roon endpoint to feed my DAC. I have been playing with Ropieee and an RPI4, USB output to a reclocker. The user experience is good but, I am not convinced by the sound this solution. Tidal -> Mac -> USB -> Reclocker sounded better overall.

I am assuming it will be a computer-based solution (like an rpi, or a mac-mini, etc) but I am open to whatever else seems good.

I'd like to move away from my laptop being the source direct to my DAC (or reclocker). This implies some sort of Roon endpoint. I also want to use a stand-alone DAC, not one with an inbuilt streaming function.
  • SPDIF or USB (implies something that outputs quality of either!)
  • RasbperryPi or another solution? I think people have preferred Rpi < 3b - even though RPI4 solves the dual ethernet/ USB conflict.
  • Power supplies - what is a good linear power supply (or at least low noise like from iFi) for any of these devices?
  • NUC needed for primarily Tidal streaming?
I don't really have a budget in mind because I am feeling out the space.

ANY thoughts would be welcome.

the usb out from an rpi has never been that great. if your dac has an aes digital input, this hat is supposed to be awesome: http://www.pi2design.com/pi2aes.html. you would also need a single 24v power supply (powers the hat and the rpi4) -- apparently the one they sell is pretty good.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #354 of 701
Can Roon output higher than CD quality when streaming Tidal or Qobuz through the app? Just started using it with those two subscriptions and can't seem to get it to output higher resolution. If I play from either of the native Tidal or Qobuz desktop apps my DAC will display the higher resolution. If I stream through Roon only CD quality comes through. Probably related is I don't see a way to tell Roon find the high res tracks vs "regular" tracks. Tips?

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #355 of 701
Can Roon output higher than CD quality when streaming Tidal or Qobuz through the app? Just started using it with those two subscriptions and can't seem to get it to output higher resolution. If I play from either of the native Tidal or Qobuz desktop apps my DAC will display the higher resolution. If I stream through Roon only CD quality comes through. Probably related is I don't see a way to tell Roon find the high res tracks vs "regular" tracks. Tips?

I use Qobuz and have no issues playing 24/96 and 24/192 content. Norah Jones has an album in 24/192, forgive me I've forgotten its name, does that only play in 16/44.1?

There is an option to view all versions available, but in my experience it mostly defaults to the highest resolution available. Not certain that is actually the behaviour, could very well just be my experience based on the music I listen to.

Double check your device setup. It might be that it has incorrectly maxed out at 16/44.1. Mine is (rightly) limited to 24/192 since I use an optical connection to my Hugo 2.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #356 of 701
I use Qobuz and have no issues playing 24/96 and 24/192 content. Norah Jones has an album in 24/192, forgive me I've forgotten its name, does that only play in 16/44.1?

There is an option to view all versions available, but in my experience it mostly defaults to the highest resolution available. Not certain that is actually the behaviour, could very well just be my experience based on the music I listen to.

Double check your device setup. It might be that it has incorrectly maxed out at 16/44.1. Mine is (rightly) limited to 24/192 since I use an optical connection to my Hugo 2.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #357 of 701
Thank you.Some progress. After actually signing into Qobuz (ooops) I see the higher res music coming through on some tracks. Been setting up too many PCs lately. However it seems default isn't always highest res so far. Example: I have Led Zeppelin II in my physical library (CD quality) but it is avail in high-res on both Tidal and Qobuz. Roon plays the Library version. Same setup with Talking Heads, Speaking in Tongues but in this case Roon plays the Qobuz high-res version. I'll keep playing around and check settings. Thank you again.

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #358 of 701
Example: I have Led Zeppelin II in my physical library (CD quality) but it is avail in high-res on both Tidal and Qobuz. Roon plays the Library version.
You can choose to hide your Cd version and keep Roon's hi-res version.
Or if you don't want to hide your Cd version, when you choose "versions" and add the hi-res to your library it will ask if you want to make this the primary version.

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #359 of 701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back