Roon is live
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #332 of 701
Prog rock and prog metal are pretty light. Bands like The Aristocrats and Scale the Summit aren’t in their catalog. When I have a few minutes, I’ll relook at my local catalog and list more bands.

Like a bit of Prog myself, Spocks Beard, Dream Theatre, Yes, Karmakanic, Transatlantic etc. Shame if this genre lacking.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #334 of 701
Like a bit of Prog myself, Spocks Beard, Dream Theatre, Yes, Karmakanic, Transatlantic etc. Shame if this genre lacking.
Tidal is great for Prog. One of my favorite times is sitting in Starbucks with my Mojo,Poly and Prog magazine checking out the new albums. So many new great groups. Please Yes.. one more album.

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #335 of 701
Roon + Tidal is my daily at the moment. Qobuz is not available where I'm at and I doubt they'll have some of my more obscure music anyway.

Now the question is if it's even worth getting a dac with MQA decoding. Anyone? (I understand the MQA controversy, but asking considering I'm already using tidal)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #336 of 701
Has anyone tried one of these fanless Nucs?

https://simplynuc.com/7i7dnfe-full/

I've decent reviews over at anandtech...yet, configurations seem pricey for what you get. I'd also consider an HP Z2 G4 mini or Lenovo P330 tiny. These are workstations, but very small form factors. I use an older HP small form factor workstation for development and it's quieter than my mac mini.

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #337 of 701
I've decent reviews over at anandtech...yet, configurations seem pricey for what you get. I'd also consider an HP Z2 G4 mini or Lenovo P330 tiny. These are workstations, but very small form factors. I use an older HP small form factor workstation for development and it's quieter than my mac mini.

I went ahead with the NUC. We will see how it does. I am going to run Win 10 for now and get a M.2 drive to load Rock on and the consider migration to Rock. It will only run Roon.

IMG_20190322_181054.jpg

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #338 of 701
I'm re-purposing an old Zotac AD10 as we speak right now to see if I can create a mobile roon server solution for myself. @Audio Addict looks like you have a mobile implementation? The zotac uses an AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350 1.6ghz processor with 8g of ram so its a little weak. I'm not really looking for the server to do too much work so hopefully this will work. I have a 4tb WD passport pro to go with it for storage. Since I have an msdn license I started with windows 10 for the operating system for now. I just loaded up the library which just crossed 100k tracks and so far it has loaded up. Have to decide on a roon client to bring with me. My traditional mobile setup has been my DAP running into a moon neo 230had. No roon support. I've since added a chord h2 and a microrendu. I think i might leave the new230had and microrendu at work and use the h2 in the hotel. I'd have to decide on what to use as the roon client in the hotel still (or just bring the microrendu back to the hotel and use it). I've been trying to eliminate the use of my computer in the chain at every location as I'm working, getting emails and don't want the audible distractions and hiccups i get with using my pc. I'd like to know what you decide os wise. Good luck.

Dec 28, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #340 of 701
My Christmas present to myself was an Innuos Zen Mini Mk III with external linear power supply. This operates as a Roon core and server and also rips CDs to its internal memory.

I'm completely new to Roon and enjoying it greatly. The Qobuz integration works very well and I've ripped some CDs to fill in a few gaps in the catalogue.

This has freed up my Bluesound Node 2 to use in another room, via Roon.

The sound quality of the Innuos unit, into a Chord Qutest, is a small step up from the Node 2 but we're very much into the law of diminishing returns here. The Innuos has an internal DAC that I've not tried yet.

Tidal are currently offering a 5 months for 5 pounds deal in the UK, compared to 25 pounds a month for Qobuz so a switch beckons!

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #342 of 701
Does anybody know of any ongoing Roon promotions?
Have not seen anything new, Just the same 14 day trial and the annulal or lifetime options.
There were some "included" subscriptions with certain hardware, but most of those that I know of are gone.
There were also some discount codes offered by some sites/mags/streaming services but hey just extended the trial to 30 days, but they are also gone as far as I see.

Google search "roon subscription offers codes" will bring them up if you want to see them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back