Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jun 17, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #47 of 3,218
I'm taking and planning everything very carefully before I even start ordering parts. I've learned quite a bit already and I haven't even touched the soldering iron for this planned project
biggrin.gif

I learned to triple-check everything the hard way last weekend when I measured the width of a speaker wrong twice and cut a hole too big in a perfectly good piece of cherry
frown.gif
mad.gif
I know now to check it.....thrice.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep..patience is a virtue and read everything amb's site says aout this amp...twice, no.....maybe thrice* before you fire up your iron.

*oh, come on, you know you were thinking it!

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #48 of 3,218
ok all my b22 gurus...heres a question. im considering going w/ the ATI 649

http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/ATI-649PR.html

cases for my sigma and beta 22. i THINK, this size should be able to fit my 4 channel balanced config (i dont have it yet which is why im unsure, just trying to think ahead), without the backplane boards. my question is, if i wanted identical cases for my psu etc (just for aesthetics), is tehre any disadvantage to using a "larger" case than is needed, as i know this case in specific is far bigger than is "NEEDED" for my basic 100VA sigma22.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #49 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok all my b22 gurus...heres a question. im considering going w/ the ATI 649

http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/ATI-649PR.html

cases for my sigma and beta 22. i THINK, this size should be able to fit my 4 channel balanced config (i dont have it yet which is why im unsure, just trying to think ahead), without the backplane boards. my question is, if i wanted identical cases for my psu etc (just for aesthetics), is tehre any disadvantage to using a "larger" case than is needed, as i know this case in specific is far bigger than is "NEEDED" for my basic 100VA sigma22.

Disadvantages to using a larger case? It's more expensive, is heavier, and takes up more space
redface.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #50 of 3,218
i should be able to fit a 4 channel balanced, without the backplane boards, into a 16.7" X 2.3" X 10.4" enclosure shouldnt i?

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #53 of 3,218
I highly suggest mocking up your proposed configuration on a piece of large paper prior to ordering any cases. I did and I still didn't properly account for the size of the stepped attenuator that I wanted to use and this caused me to have to order a different volume control part way through the build.

And just a word of warning about ATI, the last couple of times that I've thought about ordering from them they haven't had the case that I wanted in stock. I'd send them an email before doing a whole lot of planning.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #54 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And just a word of warning about ATI, the last couple of times that I've thought about ordering from them they haven't had the case that I wanted in stock. I'd send them an email before doing a whole lot of planning.
wink.gif

ditto ...
mad.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #55 of 3,218
alright ya i did that, they DO have those in stock in fact. about my question regarding the dimensions...my calculations read that it SHOULD fit OK, my only concern is the height. with the heatsinks that come in jeff rossels kit, the default size i think, will 2.3" be enough clearance including the board and spacers?

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #56 of 3,218
You should be fine, but hopefully someone with some experience with it can pitch in on that. I'm pretty sure Jeff includes the 1.5" heatsinks in his kit, add 1/4" for spacers, another 1/8" or so for board thickness...you still have space.

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #57 of 3,218
Quote:

the heatsinks that come in jeff rossels kit, the default size i think, will 2.3" be enough clearance including the board and spacers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I highly suggest mocking up your proposed configuration on a piece of large paper prior to ordering any cases.

My advice still sands and I would suggest that you find out if the 2.3" is the outside or inside dimension. It could make a world of difference.

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #58 of 3,218
yet another stupid noob question from me. im looking over my options for my panel mount XLRs, mouser labels some as being PCB mount style, and others as being panel or chassis mount. WHICH do i want..one would think it should obvious, but..well. you know me
tongue.gif
! the two model #s i had in mind are:
1) NC3FD-V , my first choice, will this work ("PCB mount")
OR
2) NC3FD-LX (panel mount)

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #59 of 3,218
Quote:

yet another stupid noob question from me.

You said it, not me.
tongue.gif

The answer is obvious if you just look at the data sheets and/or Neutrik's website.

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #60 of 3,218
Quote:

yet another stupid noob question from me. im looking over my options for my panel mount XLRs, mouser labels some as being PCB mount style, and others as being panel or chassis mount. WHICH do i want..one would think it should obvious, but..well. you know me
tongue.gif
! the two model #s i had in mind are:
1) NC3FD-V , my first choice, will this work ("PCB mount")
OR
2) NC3FD-LX (panel mount)

Technically either one will work, but unless you have PCB holes specifically designed for those jacks (hint: you don't), I would go with the panel mount ones

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said it, not me.
tongue.gif

The answer is obvious if you just look at the data sheets and/or Neutrik's website.

Ease up there N, perhaps you should focus on remembering your wedding anniversary....................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....Oh no he DIDN'T!

I kid, i kid
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back