Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jun 16, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #31 of 3,218
where were you considering ordering from? do any of the main online suppliers carry it? is this the route that most people go...or is twisting their own? or is it simply preference...?

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #33 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the PowerCon connectors?

powercon connectors are great, if you only need three prongs per connector, I like the speakon's because they have a 8 prong version....that'll reduce the umbilicals I will have to use, and that's a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #34 of 3,218
for those of you that have built or are building b22 or s22s, when mounting your PCB to your enclosure using standoffs, are the male/female brass standoffs the ticket (you drill out the bottom side of the enclosure so male end goes down?), or do you guys find that using female/female standoffs and simply crazy gluing the bottom end down to the bottom of the enclosure suffices, so that you dont have holes visible from the bottom? not that that much matters...
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #37 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your setup use 3 boards per channel n the balanced mode? Or is the 3rd board in each channel used to make 2x single ended active ground amps?

No the balanced setup uses 4 boards and the third board per side is to have 2 3-channel single-ended amps......you know should that prove useful someday :0

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #38 of 3,218
I went female to female, matt0.

Here's some pics of my mostly finished build (still need knobs for it, haha...also thinking of making a wood panel for the front):

Man, guess I should have wiped it down to get rid of the fingerprints and smears on the aluminum front. The flash on my camera is a killer.

b22b.jpg

b22c.jpg

b22d.jpg

don't mind the rats' nest -.-

b22e.jpg

b22f.jpg

b22g.jpg

^stepped attenuators i made

b22a.jpg

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #39 of 3,218
k got it...crazy glue..no go. thats what i figured, so just drilling it out and having a few tiny holes visible from the bottom, not a big deal, and much more secure. what was that about liquid nails thrice? i should use those either though should i...? lol

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #40 of 3,218
wow fierce, thats looking VERY nice man, i wish i could give it a spin! so what did you use for your standoffs...female female and crazy glue or liquid nails
tongue.gif
(dont let thrice hear that! haha!) reaaally nice work though man, dang, hopefully a month or so from now ill be somewhere near that!

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #41 of 3,218
I actually used female to female standoffs and used a bolt from the bottom of the case and threaded it all the way through the standoff, so I could place the board down on the exposed ends of the bolts and then put nuts down on top of that. Maybe I can take a picture later to explain what I mean.

Word of advice, though: Take your time with the build, especially if this is one of your first projects. My first build was a CMOY that was never cased, second was this one - so it can be done if you take your time and really pay attention to what you're doing, double and triple check. Patience is certainly a virtue in DIY (something I don't have a lot of when it comes to stuff like this, haha).

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #42 of 3,218
One other piece of advice:

The beta/sigma projects are not really of the intro to DIY caliber. I've noticed at least a couple of folks posting in this thread who don't appear to have built anything else. While things might go fine the odds of success are certainly stacked against you. Several very experienced builders have had issues with this build which is not surprising given the parts count and complexity.

Just my 2¢,

Nate

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #44 of 3,218
hey fierce, ya i definitely understand exactly what you did, i guess using male/female would be just as fine of an alternative to that. ive had several people forewarn about doing this as one of my earlier projects in DIY, however at the same time ive also had several people tell me that other than the # of parts, this really isnt too much more difficult than other circuits. i realize obviously the complexity is greater, but having built a few BASIC amps and cables, i think im ready to tackle this as a big project - might as well make it worth it IMHO. i generally find that as long as one is careful and checks (and double checks) everything first, things SHOULD turn out a-ok in the end

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #45 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k got it...crazy glue..no go. thats what i figured, so just drilling it out and having a few tiny holes visible from the bottom, not a big deal, and much more secure. what was that about liquid nails thrice? i should use those either though should i...? lol

No, you shouldn't...that was just a joke....although liquid nails is great. It's a waterproof adhesive (usually used in plumbing...etc.) that you can adjust after you set it...so you glue to pieces together and then you can wiggle it into place up to an hour or so after gluing...it allows for some adjustment. Then when it's dried (24 hours or so) it's never going to move again....use wisely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went female to female, matt0.

Here's some pics of my mostly finished build (still need knobs for it, haha...also thinking of making a wood panel for the front):

Man, guess I should have wiped it down to get rid of the fingerprints and smears on the aluminum front. The flash on my camera is a killer.

b22b.jpg

b22c.jpg

b22d.jpg

don't mind the rats' nest -.-

b22e.jpg

b22f.jpg

b22g.jpg

^stepped attenuators i made

b22a.jpg

Fierce-freak...nice build man, I can't wait to hear it at the MD meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually used female to female standoffs and used a bolt from the bottom of the case and threaded it all the way through the standoff, so I could place the board down on the exposed ends of the bolts and then put nuts down on top of that. Maybe I can take a picture later to explain what I mean.

Word of advice, though: Take your time with the build, especially if this is one of your first projects. My first build was a CMOY that was never cased, second was this one - so it can be done if you take your time and really pay attention to what you're doing, double and triple check. Patience is certainly a virtue in DIY (something I don't have a lot of when it comes to stuff like this, haha).

Yes on all of this. I like to use male/female standoffs since you can screw the standoffs to the bottom of the case and then just sit the boards on them while you're wiring and casing. It's easier to get the boards in and out of the case that way...then when you're done, just get some nuts and secure the boards to th standoffs. makes it easier for servicing too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other piece of advice:

The beta/sigma projects are not really of the intro to DIY caliber. I've noticed at least a couple of folks posting in this thread who don't appear to have built anything else. While things might go fine the odds of success are certainly stacked against you. Several very experienced builders have had issues with this build which is not surprising given the parts count and complexity.

Just my 2¢,

Nate

Yep..patience is a virtue and read everything amb's site says aout this amp...twice, no.....maybe thrice* before you fire up your iron.

*oh, come on, you know you were thinking it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back