Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,876 of 4,743

do you think speakers are a better investment? a nice bookshelf here goes around for 15-20 k but entire system requires lot more.

they definitely offer better soundstage. actual image and all.

also dont compare with 650 in equation. its pretty overpriced i think. but good hp no doubt. i think 990 should match 650 in terms of resolution atleast.

I definitely think Speakers are better VFM, non-detrimental in the long run, especially when there is the KEF LS50 going for 495 euros. Not that I am complaining and I do not listen to bass-heavy music but I think once you pair them with a subwoofer they can do marvelously well.

Entire system with a stereo amplifier(SS) does not cost more than a good Headphone amp with a Headphone. Of course Valves will cost a bit more and sometimes a lot more.

HD650s have better decay in their bass and mids alike while the DT990s have massive mid-bass and thin mids. The treble in the DT990s have lot of peaks that mar their resolution and air. I think the over-exaggerated bass on the DT990s make it a slow headphone comparably.  Both have good imaging for headphones. However sheer clarity is better on the DT990s to me.

Regards,

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,877 of 4,743
Any recommendations on how I can get Spinfit / sony hybrids eartips in India? 

Also, will appreciate opinions on Monster Super Foam and Gel tips.  I am undecided due to mixed reviews.

Thanks.
contact @dopaminer he might help...

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,878 of 4,743
Thanks... Will do

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,879 of 4,743

I definitely think Speakers are better VFM, non-detrimental in the long run, especially when there is the KEF LS50 going for 495 euros. Not that I am complaining and I do not listen to bass-heavy music but I think once you pair them with a subwoofer they can do marvelously well.

Entire system with a stereo amplifier(SS) does not cost more than a good Headphone amp with a Headphone. Of course Valves will cost a bit more and sometimes a lot more.

HD650s have better decay in their bass and mids alike while the DT990s have massive mid-bass and thin mids. The treble in the DT990s have lot of peaks that mar their resolution and air. I think the over-exaggerated bass on the DT990s make it a slow headphone comparably.  Both have good imaging for headphones. However sheer clarity is better on the DT990s to me.

Regards,

non detrimental means reliability?

I do think hps are more reliable. provided you choose right one.

my audioengine a2 driver was damaged by double amping from my cd player in less than 2 years. the thing with speakers is you do not know something is harming them unless damage is done.

also you heard 650 with solid state neutral amp? that may be the reason why you didnt liked them. i recently found out sennheiser sound drier and slow out of neutral amps. they require smooth warm solid state amps (like any sony amp) or tubes. otherwise they appear slow and distant sounding. i find akg and hifiman mid range to be smoother and more suitable for neutral amps. although they have more treble, but thats also smooth type.

when they say sennheiser are picky about amps, i think this is the reason.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #1,880 of 4,743
Very few SS amps in my experience work well with the Senns...but tube amps do it well...notably the Vali, The EC Zana Deux and all higher end EC amps, the Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball upgrade etc.. The last mentioned is very good with the 650.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #1,881 of 4,743
  Very few SS amps in my experience work well with the Senns...but tube amps do it well...notably the Vali, The EC Zana Deux and all higher end EC amps, the Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball upgrade etc.. The last mentioned is very good with the 650.

yup.

i find they pair well with sony discman and my xperia as  well (all easy to drive ones). these sources are very smooth and take away perception of hp being slow.

bass is highly accentuated in this case as expected and is a bit off by audiophile standards, but very enjoyable (audiophile basshead anyone)

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,882 of 4,743

non detrimental means reliability?

I do think hps are more reliable. provided you choose right one.

my audioengine a2 driver was damaged by double amping from my cd player in less than 2 years. the thing with speakers is you do not know something is harming them unless damage is done.

also you heard 650 with solid state neutral amp? that may be the reason why you didnt liked them. i recently found out sennheiser sound drier and slow out of neutral amps. they require smooth warm solid state amps (like any sony amp) or tubes. otherwise they appear slow and distant sounding. i find akg and hifiman mid range to be smoother and more suitable for neutral amps. although they have more treble, but thats also smooth type.

when they say sennheiser are picky about amps, i think this is the reason.

Slow was labeled to the DT990s because of their excessive mid-bass. The HD650, on the contrary, sounded fast and articulate but not the fastest sound I have heard. I have heard better micro-detailing. The sound on the HD650 was already warm enough for me to pair them with warmer amps. I do not see the appeal but I might have to try it before talking.

Non-detrimental means lesser damage for your pocket in the long run. Even though you are investing a bit more now, you will have a better sound for your money in the long run.

yup.

i find they pair well with sony discman and my xperia as  well (all easy to drive ones). these sources are very smooth and take away perception of hp being slow.

bass is highly accentuated in this case as expected and is a bit off by audiophile standards, but very enjoyable (audiophile basshead anyone)

You drive a 300 Ohm can from your Xperia?

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,883 of 4,743

Slow was labeled to the DT990s because of their excessive mid-bass. The HD650, on the contrary, sounded fast and articulate but not the fastest sound I have heard. I have heard better micro-detailing. The sound on the HD650 was already warm enough for me to pair them with warmer amps. I do not see the appeal but I might have to try it before talking.

Non-detrimental means lesser damage for your pocket in the long run. Even though you are investing a bit more now, you will have a better sound for your money in the long run.

You drive a 300 Ohm can from your Xperia?

my mistake. by warm and smooth like xperia, i was referring to driving my hd518.

650 imo needs a smooth source like tube amp or a sony amp (not xperia). otherwise it sounds dry. this is applicable to sennheisers I have as well, which are in lower tier than 650.

it sounds natural with neutral amps as well but transition between notes is not smooth in some cases, thus may appear slow and dry.

surprised 650 is more articulate than dt990. 990 after all is monitoring tool. I was also impressed by how articulate 650 was. its quiet technical hp i think. but general reviews paint it like syrupy and honey like smooth and lush and what not. maybe with certain tube amps it becomes like that.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,884 of 4,743

my mistake. by warm and smooth like xperia, i was referring to driving my hd518.

650 imo needs a smooth source like tube amp or a sony amp (not xperia). otherwise it sounds dry. this is applicable to sennheisers I have as well, which are in lower tier than 650.

it sounds natural with neutral amps as well but transition between notes is not smooth in some cases, thus may appear slow and dry.

surprised 650 is more articulate than dt990. 990 after all is monitoring tool. I was also impressed by how articulate 650 was. its quiet technical hp i think. but general reviews paint it like syrupy and honey like smooth and lush and what not. maybe with certain tube amps it becomes like that.

The DT990, a monitoring tool? Its just marketed that way. It is anything but linear. There are spikes below 10kHz in the DT 990 that make the treble sound harsh and some of their resolution is marred like I said before. I like to use it for movies the most and some older artists but not for electronica for eg. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,885 of 4,743
  Folks,

Need some advice before I make my next DAP purchase; have shortlisted the FiiO X5 for now, which on HeadphoneZone.in is available as 'B-Stock' for approx 22k INR. A further 10% discount is available on the first purchase on their site. So that brings the total down to approx. 20,000 INR. 

have you purchased the X5?
or are you waiting for X5II

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,886 of 4,743
have you purchased the X5?
or are you waiting for X5II

Hello,

I purchased one of the last available units of the original X3 when I saw it being available online. I've posted a couple pics as well, a few posts ago. Since I liked the sound of the original X3 earlier when I'd heard it, I thought of saving some cash and upgrading later on.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,887 of 4,743
There is some buzz regarding the new vjjb v1 in the Chinese thread. No one knows how they sound, but they look promising. The design is phenomenal (though no real shots yet, all are renders). I went ahead and ordered one pair. 

http://www.vjjb.cn/product_show.php?ProductID=5

Posting here because some fellow Indians requested to let know if I manage to order one. I am using MisterTao forwarding service to forward my TaoBao purchase. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,888 of 4,743
  There is some buzz regarding the new vjjb v1 in the Chinese thread. No one knows how they sound, but they look promising. The design is phenomenal (though no real shots yet, all are renders). I went ahead and ordered one pair. 

http://www.vjjb.cn/product_show.php?ProductID=5

Posting here because some fellow Indians requested to let know if I manage to order one. I am using MisterTao forwarding service to forward my TaoBao purchase. 

Slightly resembles to ha-fxt90, looks good though.

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #1,889 of 4,743
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back