Roll Call for Team AKG
Mar 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #736 of 1,537

Quote:
Since you bring up the Realistic Pro 50, Ishcabible, would there be any chance that you could edit your profile info in a way that removed the 'AKG K250/' bit from in front of the Pro 50? This is in no way mandatory, but would help in not creating confusion regarding the differences between the K 250 and the Pro 50, which aren't the same thing.

That is, unless you might have some info on the similarity of the drivers in these two models?

The Pro 50 has a Sextett baffle, which may also imply (no confirmation either way) that it has a Sextett driver. The K 250 as we know it, on the other hand, has neither a Sextett baffle nor a Sextett driver. Further, the K 250 seems to be diffuse field equalized, while the Sextett were free field, making the Pro 50 potentially quite a different thing from the K 250.

I've been meaning to do that since I saw your thread, but I initially put that bit when I saw someone selling a K250 a year ago on ebay.de with what appeared to be baffles, but I could have been wrong. Since I was dumb and didn't save them, I have no actual proof unless I come across another. 

I should be getting a Sextett LP in a week or so and I'd be more than happy to compare the two (RP50 and K240) mechanically.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #737 of 1,537

Quote:
As you say, foet, you're posting that auction info because the price is out of your league, and from that I assume you would not have posted had it not been so. I won't say any more than that, but you may know what I'm getting at...

Well. Fact is I only just discovered it an hour or so before posting it here with the only reason it being to damn rare to find. But frankly, yea I do know where you are getting at..
Would the price have been much lower, I wouldn't have made any free promotion. Why would I for something I would want myself, to bring up the price and decrease my own chances?  Nothing wrong with that in my opinion
wink_face.gif

And I don't believe I would alone in thinking this way. Of all general posts like this, 90% of them are either totally not interested in the item but thought people should know, or are directly linked to the sale. I've never seen a post like "Hey guys, I found this ultra rare headphone for sale, and I'm bidding on it and really really want it, but here, come bid with me!" There might be some, but meh. Human behaviour really, protect what you want.

But yea, I'd PM people if I knew anyone actually desperately looking for one.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #742 of 1,537
k702 when listening to the string instruments.

Yeah... till you listen to chellos or try to enjoy some contrabass... feels bad man. I really dig my sextetts and k242 though...

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #744 of 1,537
Hey guys, I refurbished an HD600 recently and they impressed me quite a bit. Wanted a tad more fun signature, so I bought an HD650.
My Problem... on my AMP which can drive cans like my K240 sextetts (MP just fine) the HD650 sounds just like the HD600, too flat IMHO.
Don't get me wrong, I like it flat (DFC .etc) but I expected a bit more mid-bass compared to the HD600.

Is it possible, that our beloved old AKG-cans like my Sextetts are easier to driver than the HD650? I always expected the Sextetts to be harder to drive.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #745 of 1,537

Quote:
Hey guys, I refurbished an HD600 recently and they impressed me quite a bit. Wanted a tad more fun signature, so I bought an HD650.
My Problem... on my AMP which can drive cans like my K240 sextetts (MP just fine) the HD650 sounds just like the HD600, too flat IMHO.
Don't get me wrong, I like it flat (DFC .etc) but I expected a bit more mid-bass compared to the HD600.

Is it possible, that our beloved old AKG-cans like my Sextetts are easier to driver than the HD650? I always expected the Sextetts to be harder to drive.

I have both, driven by a Cmoy desktop amp.
I think the K240 Sextett sounded a bit better with my previous tube amp, while the HD 650 sounded lifelier with the cheaper SS amp.
So I guess the Sextett are harder to drive.
The HD650 is in my setup a toetapping and fun headphone, but they do need a good source.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #746 of 1,537

the hd650 varied a lot due to the complaints of the veil. that can be a possible answer maybe, but the sextetts aren't really exactly easy headphone to power i would say.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #747 of 1,537

full size picture available on request :).

Also, count a pair of K250's to my collection now thanks to hgabi00. And a pair of 270 Studio AND playback are on their way also! (weird how you look for these things for months then get 3 in 2 weeks..) Time to pause buying things, though my collection is pretty much complete like I want it. Maybe a pretty 240DF..
ph34r.gif

So that makes : 240 MP sextet - 250 - 260 (non pro) - 270 S & P - 271 MKII - 280 - 290 - 340 x2 - 702.

Where are thou my K145 you litle rascal!

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #749 of 1,537
Maybe a pretty 240DF..:ph34r:

no, not allowed to collect them. they're all mine. all mine i tell you! okay, maybe after i have like 10 back up pairs you're allowed to hunt for them, but for now all available DF's are all mine and under my protective supervision. i'm watching you, you sneaky ninja you.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #750 of 1,537

Quote:

I'd say they are about equal, and require a similar kind of amp to shine.  Just a guess from different experiences at meets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back