Roll Call for Team AKG
Feb 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #721 of 1,537
Quote:

Still looking to complete my collection with a pair of 250's and 270's. Damn hard to find for non insane prices in EU. If anyone has a pair they are willing to part with (EU based), hit me a PM!

Head-Fi (and EU) member hgabi00 has (or had?) a pair of 250. He said the sound wasn't for him, so maybe he'd want to sell if he didn't already?

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #722 of 1,537
Have:
K 240 Sextett LP
K 270 Playback (in heavy use by one of my sons :)

Had:
K-400 EP
K 140 Cardan
K 601
K 55
K 271 Studio
K 240 Sextett MP
K 240 DF

Heard:
K-401
K-500
K-400 LP

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #723 of 1,537

Quote:
Extended my own collection a bit since my first K340 :).
K240 sextet MP - K240M - K260 NOS (non pro, but looks like it was made yesterday and just out of the box) - K271 MKII - K280 - K290 NOS - 2X K340 (1 custom cable & 1 NOS) and finally my K702.

Still looking to complete my collection with a pair of 250's and 270's. Damn hard to find for non insane prices in EU. If anyone has a pair they are willing to part with (EU based), hit me a PM!
Almost had a K145 but forgot to check the ebay auction on time
frown.gif

Some older pictures : ( K340 - K280 - K240 ||  K702 )

woha, cool collection bro, but... do they actually get picked if there is a Denon AH-D 2000 and a decent Hifiman to fall back to?

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #724 of 1,537
It's the AKG thread and you're asking whether a pair of AKGs gets picked over other phones?
smile.gif

The K 340 sounded pretty unique to me. Probably in part due to the electret driver being a physical obstacle for the dynamic driver – it did kinda sound like there were two chambers, left and right. But if there's a pair of phones with a similar soundstage, I'd be interested.

The K 260 that I have (the Philips version) isn't very good, though. I doubt I'd pick them over anything, unless my options were really limited. But they're very light, and I much prefer the smooth Philips cable over the slightly stiff and fragile-looking vintage AKG cable. (The Philips version has a similar plug than the K 500, which makes me wonder how much later the Philips version of the K 260 was introduced – and how many similarities it has to the original K 260.)

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #725 of 1,537
Thx for the tip Vid.

Quote:

woha, cool collection bro, but... do they actually get picked if there is a Denon AH-D 2000 and a decent Hifiman to fall back to?

Havent touched my D2000 in about a year and a half or so, and that was just to modify its cable :). Actually should start selling quite a bit of stuff..
I listen to my K271 all the time at work, and at home my K340 together with some non AKG cans gets most attention. (the hifiman is a HE-5LE if your wondering :)).

Basically its like Pokemon, gotta catch em all. I just love the design of the whole range between the 240 up untill the K340. The newer 400/500 and later never reallly appealed to me. Except the 7xx series. And I just want a K145 & K4 because they are ultra rare :p.

I actually quite like my K260. Given it just arrived 2 days ago and I've only listened to it about an hour or so. They seemed quite good, but half of that could have been between my ears since I was quite happy to receive it in the condition it was (foil still wrapped, foam inside earpads like new and the rubbers controlling the headband were as if a week old).

K702 still ranks high on my comfort list, headband never bothered me at all.

Tiemen, is there a major difference between the K400 versions? I know quite a few here rank the K500 above the 501's, I wonder if the same for the 400 series as well.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #726 of 1,537

Quote:
Thx for the tip Vid.

Havent touched my D2000 in about a year and a half or so, and that was just to modify its cable :). Actually should start selling quite a bit of stuff..

You have amazing willpower!  No way I could go that long without being restrained--whether it be my Denon AH-D2000 or Q 701.

Both are great but quite different from one another.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #727 of 1,537

Quote:
Tiemen, is there a major difference between the K400 versions? I know quite a few here rank the K500 above the 501's, I wonder if the same for the 400 series as well.

To my ears, yes.
The early production of the K-400 is snappier, livelier, with really engaging mids and a punchy bass.
The later production is somewhat duller, also a little bit warmer sounding. More like the K-401.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #731 of 1,537
Just stumbled upon a K 200: http://link.marktplaats.nl/539017944
Never heard of these. Seems an open alternative to the K 141.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #733 of 1,537
As you say, foet, you're posting that auction info because the price is out of your league, and from that I assume you would not have posted had it not been so. I won't say any more than that, but you may know what I'm getting at...

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #734 of 1,537

Quote:
As you say, foet, you're posting that auction info because the price is out of your league, and from that I assume you would not have posted had it not been so. I won't say any more than that, but you may know what I'm getting at...

Well, isn't that what usually happens? I do that if people would likely interested in a rare headphone that's gone above my price range (although 90% of the time I do that over PM to be considerate). And besides, that price is well beyond reasonable for the K4's--I bought mine for $15, hence only people that REALLY want it would go for it anyways. But the fact that they don't have original pads worries me. Those pads may make them sound quite a bit worse than they're supposed to be.

But for people that are interested in them even though they're about as much as a nice K340, my particular pair has thick mids--not quite as technically good as my DT48, but better than my Realistic Pro 50 and a little worse than the K240DF. With a sufficient seal, they have more bass than one would expect such a small headphone to have--they're ridiculously hard to drive though--but it's still only a little more than the DF. Properly amped, I'd say they're worth $75 max in terms of absolute sound quality, but they're certainly a really cool headphone regardless. (If anyone else is interested in how they sound and want a better description than my half-assed attempt, send me a PM)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back