Roll Call for Team AKG
Dec 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #811 of 1,537
Well, for what it's worth, mine are missing both the K501 tags. lol.

Does he not want to sell overseas, or is shipping just too expensive?

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #812 of 1,537
Does not want to ship over seas..
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #813 of 1,537
K601 owner here... And now I really want the Anniversary k702. They will be mine. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #814 of 1,537
And apologies for my avatar - but those esw9s are dear to my heart - I bought fakes, accidentally, then recabled them with canare and replaced the drivers with the authentic driver. But they just live in a drawer since I got the k601.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #815 of 1,537
But he has the box and the headphones look really new, esp the pads

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #816 of 1,537
Q701's. MK 240 ii's, and hopefully K167's this Xmas. Really wanting a pair of K1000's to mount on my wall! Love AKG, and am buying my cousin a pair for his bday, since he snagged my MK's and took em to Belgium!!!! Anyone got a great sub-175 dollar model? Preferably full-sized. Thanks! Love AKG and love the community here :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #817 of 1,537
Hey - there are a pair of AKG k550 on sale at audiogon.com for an even 200 - a little over budget but a good deal too.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #818 of 1,537
Quote:
Q701's. MK 240 ii's, and hopefully K167's this Xmas. Really wanting a pair of K1000's to mount on my wall! Love AKG, and am buying my cousin a pair for his bday, since he snagged my MK's and took em to Belgium!!!! Anyone got a great sub-175 dollar model? Preferably full-sized. Thanks! Love AKG and love the community here :)

For one second I thought you are buying a pair of K1000's for your cousin for his bday

And just letting you know, if you start shipping now, the K1000 would make to my address before my birthday :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #819 of 1,537
Quote:

For one second I thought you are buying a pair of K1000's for your cousin for his bday

And just letting you know, if you start shipping now, the K1000 would make to my address before my birthday :)

lol my birthday is this Thursday :D, turn 16! Not to pumped for my permit though, to much work. and wanna hear a real scandal, my grade is too big, so next year even when i have my liscence, my grade isn't allowed to drive to school! So maybe one of you can take pitty and mail me some K1000's
gs1000.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #820 of 1,537
That happened back in the day at my high school as well. After I graduated of course - but, my brothers weren't so lucky...

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #821 of 1,537
Aw yeah, the K501's are here.

I'm kind of surprised by how forward the mids are. They've got a bit of a bite to them.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #822 of 1,537
Now that I've put some time behind these, and got a comfortable listening volume dialed in, I'm ready to make some more in-depth impressions.

First off, mids aren't nearly as nice as the CD900STs. Not to say I'm disappointed, because I expected they wouldn't be as good, but it's still something worth mentioning. They don't have the ridiculous micro detail of the Sonys, and don't have the fullness either. In their own right they're still great in those regards, however. On some material they can be sibilant, but not everything (again, now that I got the volume dialed in)

With the CD900STs, I was so used to them at any note of a song I knew what I should set my amp to, and with these I had to dink around with it for a while. I doesn't really help that the bass is very recessed on these, so I can't really use drums or bass guitars are a volume reference point. I really didn't think a headphone could have less bass than the CD900STs, but these thoroughly proved me wrong. Drums and bass guitars have a very distant sound to them, so sometimes it can be a little hard to follow a bassline, and drums just lack any real thump, but it's surprisingly all very detailed.

Now, I know it sounds like I'm disappointed by these, or that I don't like them, but I really do. They just have some major differences that are going to take getting used to, and really, that's what I was after. I was so used to the way the CD900STs presented my music that it was all getting very dull for me. So what good things do these do? Well, plenty!

First of all, the soundstage is incredible. Very wide, but very deep as well, and offer a good deal of rear-projection. Much better, to me, than my old K601s in this regard. I was never able to get very good soundstage out of the K601s on my amp, and I think it might have had something to do with (a) the headphones having a fairly mellow high end to begin with and (b) they have an impedance spike in the highs, making my amp unable to provide sufficient power (it's a Little Dot I+, so it's just not built for high impedance headphones). My amp seems to play much nicer with the K501s, because they don't seen to have that impedance spike. Or at least if they do, the added treble can compensate for that.

And speaking of treble, it's just absolutely lovely. Very sparkly, but very rarely ever becomes harsh. Instruments like cymbals, high hats, acoustic guitars, and brass instruments have a very realistic sound to them, and it actually has me listening to more classical now. The CD900STs were just too dull to really enjoy classical on.

Oh, these also work very well with Dolby Headphone. I was listening to a few songs with it, and it's really neat, and has a more natural sound than my previous headphones had with it. Not that I'm going to be using it all the time, since it's still not perfect, but it's a neat little novelty.

I'll have to see how well these do games. I suspect very well!
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #823 of 1,537
Now that I've put some time behind these, and got a comfortable listening volume dialed in, I'm ready to make some more in-depth impressions.

First off, mids aren't nearly as nice as the CD900STs. Not to say I'm disappointed, because I expected they wouldn't be as good, but it's still something worth mentioning. They don't have the ridiculous micro detail of the Sonys, and don't have the fullness either. In their own right they're still great in those regards, however. On some material they can be sibilant, but not everything (again, now that I got the volume dialed in)

With the CD900STs, I was so used to them at any note of a song I knew what I should set my amp to, and with these I had to dink around with it for a while. I doesn't really help that the bass is very recessed on these, so I can't really use drums or bass guitars are a volume reference point. I really didn't think a headphone could have less bass than the CD900STs, but these thoroughly proved me wrong. Drums and bass guitars have a very distant sound to them, so sometimes it can be a little hard to follow a bassline, and drums just lack any real thump, but it's surprisingly all very detailed.

Now, I know it sounds like I'm disappointed by these, or that I don't like them, but I really do. They just have some major differences that are going to take getting used to, and really, that's what I was after. I was so used to the way the CD900STs presented my music that it was all getting very dull for me. So what good things do these do? Well, plenty!

First of all, the soundstage is incredible. Very wide, but very deep as well, and offer a good deal of rear-projection. Much better, to me, than my old K601s in this regard. I was never able to get very good soundstage out of the K601s on my amp, and I think it might have had something to do with (a) the headphones having a fairly mellow high end to begin with and (b) they have an impedance spike in the highs, making my amp unable to provide sufficient power (it's a Little Dot I+, so it's just not built for high impedance headphones). My amp seems to play much nicer with the K501s, because they don't seen to have that impedance spike. Or at least if they do, the added treble can compensate for that.

And speaking of treble, it's just absolutely lovely. Very sparkly, but very rarely ever becomes harsh. Instruments like cymbals, high hats, acoustic guitars, and brass instruments have a very realistic sound to them, and it actually has me listening to more classical now. The CD900STs were just too dull to really enjoy classical on.

Oh, these also work very well with Dolby Headphone. I was listening to a few songs with it, and it's really neat, and has a more natural sound than my previous headphones had with it. Not that I'm going to be using it all the time, since it's still not perfect, but it's a neat little novelty.

I'll have to see how well these do games. I suspect very well! :D

Try get A chance to try them on a very very capable monster class amp and see if you would change your mind. I have a k400, k500 and don't find them hopelessly lacing in bass quantity. Yes it is not in A very nice amount, and lacks extension, but good enough for a different presentation

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #824 of 1,537
I'll probably see if my friend's Lyr can give it a bit more bass. It was able to add a decent amount to my CD900STs, though I think it might be just due to coloration, and not so much about receiving sufficient power.

Also, I feel I have to gush about the treble on these things some more. It's just absolutely perfect.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #825 of 1,537
I'd like to amend my earlier comment about the bass, now. While I still don't think it's exactly a full-bodied bass, for some music it can pack a good amount of thump. Not enough to rattle my head of course, but it is sufficient for a number of genres. With some material I think they have more bass than the CD900STs, and with other material they seem to have quite a bit less. The Beatles' Within You Without You, for example, seems to be almost completely lacking bass. On the other hand, on Metallica's Fade To Black the rapid-fire bass drum seems to pack much more of a wallop than the CD900STs, and that bass drum has always sounded a great deal set back from the rest of the sound on other headphones.

I really have a poor ear for bass, so it makes it really hard to properly critique it.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back