Rolex or Breitling
Nov 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #64 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by freshmeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't know what you're talking about.. perhaps you run with a crowd of bling infested posers.

What you wrote does not happen. Merely a myth perpetuated by persons who wish they had a Rolex, I suppose.

Cheers,
Mike

Not really. I had a Rolex in college and I got asked about it's authenticity all the time. And for the record, it was because of the fact that I didn't hang around with bling infested posers; I really didn't look like the Rolex "type."

I think that's why I eventually got sick of it and sold it. A Rolex is a mechanical and artistic wonder, but let's face it, they are the ultimate in "Look at me, I'm richer than you!" watches. Now I wear Movados; they're much more understated while still being beautiful pieces of art. And I use the extra money to get more important stuff, like overpriced audio
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #66 of 105
ESQ , Tissot , Invicta , and Seiko, i think are decent watches that arent expensive.
You can get a decent watch from those companies for like $250-300usd.

Yes theyre not a Rolex, but i think they represent a decent value for a good every day watch for the average person that isnt a watch enthusiast.
My every day knock around watch is a Jules Jergensen, just a $75 watch, but it works great, keeps excellent time, and ive had it for years and it still looks new even though i wear it every day just about.
I have alot of other watches, but i dont wear them every day.

Also, as far as getting asked all the time about a Rolex's authenticity in public, i had a good fake of a Rolex.
It was heavy and really a decent copy, and i got asked all the time if it was real. Also i got asked if my gold jewelry was real. People are rediculous sometimes. Im a silver guy anyway, so bleh.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #67 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can there be a Bose of watches? Speakers have all sorts of different things that can be looked at - frequency response, detail, soundstage, you name it. It can be said that certain speakers are clearly inferior to all other brands at their price point, like Bose are.

But with watches, the only such empirical measure is how well they keep time. And the $5 watch I buy at Walmart with a quartz timing will keep better time than the most expensive mechanical Rolex. So since we've established that that argument is null and void, the entire value of a watch is in aesthetics. And at that point, I don't think you can say that any watch is the "Bose" of the watch world. Personally, I like a simplistic look. I think that Rolex and ESPECIALLY Breitling look huge and gaudy; there are a few Omegas I could see myself liking but in general I go for simpler designs like....Movado.

I meant they are the Bose cause they are all over, dealers in every mall and billboards and ad's to your hearts content. Everyone thinks Movado and Tag are the best of the best cause they read the ad's and got sold from the dealers...the tons of dealers. just like when you walk into a BB or electronics chain store and the salesmen says "Bose is the Best!" and their ad's are all over the place. in reality All your buying is a familiar name plate for the mass people just to impress your peers. I firmly believe no one that is into the Watch hobby longer then few months would respectfully wear a Movado, maybe a upper line Tag..maybe. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar companies like Invicta, Tissot, pulsar, etc are even on an upper level of class of brand.

people that see my Bose speakers hanging in the garage say "wow you have Bose!" just like people say "Wow thats a Movado!". everyone knows the brand to be the best yet only the people in the hobby know and think very differently. people who wear a submariner or a GMT or a Navitimer don't get that simply because The mass public are not trained on it by ad's and zillions of dealers all over the place.

Movado and Tag are truly the Bose of the Watch World!

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #68 of 105
There are a lot of fake Rolex watches so authenticity is always questioned. I once saw a guy wearing Rolex Daytona but didn't want to question it, because he might get offended.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that BOSE mate?

Not quite... see my signature
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant they are the Bose cause they are all over, dealers in every mall and billboards and ad's to your hearts content. Everyone thinks Movado and Tag are the best of the best cause they read the ad's and got sold from the dealers...the tons of dealers. just like when you walk into a BB or electronics chain store and the salesmen says "Bose is the Best!" and their ad's are all over the place. in reality All your buying is a familiar name plate for the mass people just to impress your peers. I firmly believe no one that is into the Watch hobby longer then few months would respectfully wear a Movado, maybe a upper line Tag..maybe. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar companies like Invicta, Tissot, pulsar, etc are even on an upper level of class of brand.

people that see my Bose speakers hanging in the garage say "wow you have Bose!" just like people say "Wow thats a Movado!". everyone knows the brand to be the best yet only the people in the hobby know and think very differently. people who wear a submariner or a GMT or a Navitimer don't get that simply because The mass public are not trained on it by ad's and zillions of dealers all over the place.

Movado and Tag are truly the Bose of the Watch World!

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Ask any idiot on the side of a road what "The Best Watch" is and they'll tell you Rolex. No average person is going to say Movado. I've worn Movados for ten years and have had a total of about five people who've said "Oh, that's a Movado!" I wore a Rolex for three or four years and had that many people say "Oh, that's a Rolex" in the first week I wore it.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #72 of 105
I've had a Rolex GMT Master II for almost 20 years now. This watch is similar to the Submariner except that it has an additional 24-hour hand and the bezel is black and red instead of just black.

I wear it every day and it takes quite a beating. Despite me hitting it on a bunch of door frames and other miscellaneous things (I'm clumsy, what can I say), it stood the test of time. The only downside is that Rolex charges $$$$ to have it cleaned periodically. If you have someone else clean it Rolex will most likely refuse to work on it afterwards.

Just recently I bought a "beater" Seiko because I realized that I was swimming and doing work around the house with a $5000 watch - and that is quite silly.

Tag Heuer was my previous watch and it either sprang a leak or broke every few months. It really stinks when you have to give up your watch for two weeks every few months.

If you can afford it, Rolex is bulletproof. It is also fun when people realize you're wearing a Rolex and start acting goofy. It also got me laid at least once.
dt880smile.png

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #73 of 105
Rolexes are well made, durable watches that are somewhat overpriced. There's nothing wrong with getting them, but they raise prices just to raise prices, with very little to show for why. They still of course sell every single one they make, because the uneducated crowd believes a Rolex is the absolute best watch in the world.

For what Rolexes cost, you can easily get watches with better attention to detail and finishing, like Glashutte Original, Jaeger LeCoultre, IWC, and Ulysee Nardin to name a few. Now these are truly fine watch companies. Or if you're secure enough in yourself not to need a watch to announce your financial status to the world, you could turn to Japan and spend a couple grand for a Grand Seiko. And then when your watch suddenly gets some unwanted attention (like from your boss), just give an evil smile while announcing "oh, it's just a Seiko...".

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #74 of 105
I've always found Rolex and Breitling watches to be too busy for me. Most have a lot of features beyond telling time. I like clean, minimalist designs.

My daily wear watch is a Sinn 244 with the crosshair dial. COSC rated, titanium, serious anti-shock and antimagnetic (good around my DIY projects and ribbons) treatment. I also keep around a Sinn 656, Fortis Cosmonaut, Longines Ultra-Chron, Accutron Astronaut, a gold Zenith, and a Ventura. They only draw attention from other watch freaks - and that's the way I like it.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #75 of 105
Rich people go for Rolex. Smart people go for other watches. Seriously. ALL Rolexes fail to show the time accurately. My mum's Rolex always ends up 15 minutes late (as in it should be 2pm now but on her watch it's 1.45pm) after a month without adjusting the time. Same thing happens to all my relatives' Rolex watches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back