Rolex or Breitling
Apr 24, 2008 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Mortalcoil

1000+ Head-Fier
Considering a Rolex Sea Dweller or a Breitlng Super Avenger. Obviously two different styles of watch.

Breitling with its hugeness and bling factor, or Rolex with its history and unchanged design in over 40 years.

Give me your opinions please.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 105
The only thing I can tell you is that you can get the same movement use in the Rolex, and better value sometimes, from many other brands at a fraction of the cost...If you like big watches look for the SAR military watches...

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I can tell you is that you can get the same movement use in the Rolex, and better value sometimes, from many other brands at a fraction of the cost...If you like big watches look for the SAR military watches...

Although Im tempted to agree with you, apparently Rolex still produces its own movements in house ( as well as Omega, Blancpain ).

The majority of all other watch companies ( Breitling, Cartier,Nardin,Chopard etc ) purhase theyre movements from ETA ( Swatch group ).

Thanks for the tip though.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rolex face is so much "cleaner" than the Breitlng! I would much prefer the Rolex on my wrist.

Good point. The in thing at the moment is huge watches at 45mm and up, while Rolex has stood fast with 40mm.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 105
Quote:

This is incorrect. Rolex movements are in-house. You can't get a Rolex movement in any other watch and you can't purchase a new Rolex with anything other than a Rolex movement in it. This isn't to say that they are the best movements, but they are reliable and simple and last forever. By high-end Swiss mechanical watch standards they are indestructible.

If I were you I would get the Sea Dweller. If any watch company could be called more "gaudy" than Rolex it is Breitling. Breitling watches always seem so busy-looking to me. I prefer the simplicity of Rolex sports watches.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. The in thing at the moment is huge watches at 45mm and up, while Rolex has stood fast with 40mm.

eeh, they used to be 38. rolex is not immune from size creep. brietling is just more dynamic and able to meet the demands of the market faster.

the rummor was that Rolex uses a "house movement from someone else" in the datona, i dunno if its true. But the watches they make a million of a year are house movements.

i generally dont think particularly highly of the rolex movements. they are not really that spectacular in any way when compared to the offerings from omega, brietling, and tag heuer at half the price.

i would personally AVOID the house movement if its to be a daily wear watch. finding parts a few years down the road can be very tricky. while the outside appearance of rolex's has not changed in some time, the innards do. spares are available if you know where to look, but if you looked that hard they know they can name their price. there is a limit to how far back rolex will service and maintain a watch. once that day has passed, your watch is counting down. it is a long time, but worth mention.

for that matter, i would avoid the brietling too. tooooo big for my tastes, and the big watch craze may well die as quickly as it started.

if FORCED to pick between the 2 with no other watches to choose from, i would go for the rolex.

obviously a lot of very personal opinions are in here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you I would get the Sea Dweller. If any watch company could be called more "gaudy" than Rolex it is Breitling. Breitling watches always seem so busy-looking to me. I prefer the simplicity of Rolex sports watches.

i REALLY think that depends on the watch.

rolex has their look, and they are locked into it. they CAN NOT CHANGE. no way. everyone knows them.

brietling makes some disgustingly gaudy watches (money dosnt buy taste, but you have a lot to give me...) but they still make clean and simple watch styles.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 105
if you can find a nice Breitling Super Ocean, that would be a better deal than the seadweller. Will go as deep as the seadweller. It's about 42mm vs. 40mm for the Rolex. comes in leather, rubber or SS bracelet

o_BSW0030A.jpg

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 105
Rolex is the way to go for those two. Are you a large person? If not you will look funny wearing a giant watch. If you don't need all the dials and bezels with numbers I would recommend an Omega Aqua Terra as it comes in 3 sizes, with a coaxial movement and a date. Face is alot more classy than a Rolex or a Breitling. Here is a Speedmaster and an AquaTerra with Chronograph features.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is incorrect. Rolex movements are in-house. You can't get a Rolex movement in any other watch and you can't purchase a new Rolex with anything other than a Rolex movement in it. This isn't to say that they are the best movements, but they are reliable and simple and last forever. By high-end Swiss mechanical watch standards they are indestructible.

So many others as well, also my comment was nor to be taken so literally, I have Seiko here that is indestructible also, and needs no maintenance at all...but any ETA Swiss movement, will perform same as, or better sometimes, than any Rolex...

Personally I do not care for mechanical watches at all, as all of them give or take time daily like ten times more than a cheap $30.00 quartz, them ain reason i always use quatrz watches, and as per jewelery a watch IMO is a mechanical device, made to give time, not for fashion, but opinions may vary from user to user...

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 105
All very valid points. Thanks guys.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 105
I always felt the Sea Dweller was a bit out of proportion being too thick for it's width as opposed to the Submariner which was perfect IMHO. I kinda favor the IWC 3706, probably my all time favorite pilot watch. Liked it so much I bought it three times. Never owned a Breitling though. but I have had five or six Rolex over the years. Like someone said, it's the best $1500 watch you can buy for $4000. That was some time ago of course.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rolex has most certainly not stood fast at 40mm. If you've been keeping up with the latest watch news, here's their latest monstrosity at 43mm, which has been subject to an extreme amount of controversy among Rolex fans.

SEA-DWELLER-DEEPSEA_1.jpg

It has an "ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE" and "RING LOCK SYSTEM" in case you missed it the first time around.
rolleyes.gif

Their "look" has most definitely changed lately towards being completely bling. The Submariner, originally meant to be a tool watch, now has polished center links in its Oyster bracelet. In fact most of Rolex's Oyster bracelet equipped watches are heading this route, original tool intention of the watch be damned. The latest trend of sticking "ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX" all over the inner bezel ring strikes me as being completely ostentatious. And now this blatant labeling of a rather simplistic and obvious feature all over the watch face.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 105
I like the Deep Sea version, although just introduced @ 43mm. Apparently its to have an MSRP of 10k, a little to rich for my blood. I agree with you Vertigo-1 on your assesment of Rolexes "new direction", but in comparisson to some of Breitlings offerings they are still very tame. With the exception of the Heritage series.

What most Rolex afficianados all agree on is that the Sub, or the Sub No Date (ND) are true classics. One thing I really like about Rolex is that they hold there value over the years.

I agree, the IWC stuff is really nice,especially the Aquatimer series.

If I had the funds though I would seriously be looking at the Blancpain "Fifty Fathoms". Very nice.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #15 of 105
Quote:

So many others as well, also my comment was nor to be taken so literally, I have Seiko here that is indestructible also, and needs no maintenance at all...but any ETA Swiss movement, will perform same as, or better sometimes, than any Rolex...

Personally I do not care for mechanical watches at all, as all of them give or take time daily like ten times more than a cheap $30.00 quartz, them ain reason i always use quatrz watches, and as per jewelery a watch IMO is a mechanical device, made to give time, not for fashion, but opinions may vary from user to user...

I guess it is a language barrier. I think I understand your meaning. But you must understand why I misunderstood you. You said that you can get the same movement Rolex uses in other watches. I would recommend you explain yourself further, rather than expect your audience not to take your words literally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back