Rolex or Breitling
Nov 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #76 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALL Rolexes fail to show the time accurately. My mum's Rolex always ends up 15 minutes late (as in it should be 2pm now but on her watch it's 1.45pm) after a month without adjusting the time. Same thing happens to all my relatives' Rolex watches.

Most Rolex watches are the automatic wind-up type, not quartz. This means that they are not going to be as precise as the cheap Timex quartz watches. If the time on your mom's watch is this much off, perhaps it needs a servicing? Mine is off a few minutes a week.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #78 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by kansei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most Rolex watches are the automatic wind-up type, not quartz. This means that they are not going to be as precise as the cheap Timex quartz watches. If the time on your mom's watch is this much off, perhaps it needs a servicing? Mine is off a few minutes a week.

She services it once a year. Even that doesn't help at all. Lol.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #80 of 105
What models were they ? Submariner ? Sea Dweller ?

Quote:

Rich people go for Rolex. Smart people go for other watches. Seriously. ALL Rolexes fail to show the time accurately. My mum's Rolex always ends up 15 minutes late (as in it should be 2pm now but on her watch it's 1.45pm) after a month without adjusting the time. Same thing happens to all my relatives' Rolex watches.

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #81 of 105
Quote:

She services it once a year. Even that doesn't help at all. Lol.

I was having mine serviced once every 3 years until they charged me $300 the last time I had it done. Then, I decided to do it once every 5 years. It's been 8 years, I keep postponing it because I don't want to pay the $$$.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #83 of 105
Guys, automatic watches that are chronographs are not meant to be accurate but are meant to be consistent. That is it will loose or gain a given number of seconds over a period of time.

For example you could have a Rolex automatic that looses 48 sec a month. Well it will consistently loose the 48 sec a month. Service is intended to lubricate and re-certify that consistency.

As a norm the service could be as soon as ever 3 years or as late as 12 y ears. But most do it every 5-8 years apart.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #84 of 105
Have you considered Omega? Swiss made, chronometer, 300m waterproof, half the price of Rolex.
22208000.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #86 of 105
Omega's quality control seems to have taken a nosedive lately, and their official servicing centers seem to do a very poor job at servicing the watches. Not a week goes by where somebody doesn't complain about something going wrong with their Omega on watch forums. I own a blue and black Bond Seamaster in quartz, but I don't think I'd ever buy an automatic version, particularly not the Co-axial versions.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #87 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omega's quality control seems to have taken a nosedive lately, and their official servicing centers seem to do a very poor job at servicing the watches. Not a week goes by where somebody doesn't complain about something going wrong with their Omega on watch forums. I own the a blue and black Bond Seamaster in quartz, but I don't think I'd ever buy an automatic version, particularly not the Co-axial versions.

It is a pity the Omega quality has gone sour. I own a circa 1974 Omega Constellation ing 18K yellow gold and it is both a beautiful watch as well as very consistent. I also used to own a 1975 Omega Speedmaster that was another great watch. Do hope they get their act together, soon.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #89 of 105
um...... guys I know everything about watches considering I myself work in luxury retail watches and I am related to the company Tourneau which if no one knows them they are the largest watch retailer in the world so if anyone has any questions feel free to shoot me a PM sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back